We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

I cannot get my file to print from my Mac [Resolved]

tvoss123tvoss123 Member Posts: 212
edited May 2016 in Resolved Issues
Hi there,
I thought I used to be able to do this, but am not sure. 

I am using MTC latest version on a Mac and hope to do a print and cut on my Zing.  I did a pixel trace of a jpeg using texturize and blackout. I can export the raster file, but it does not have the MTC markings in the corners.  When I try to do a print the file does not seem to go the the printer which is an old Canon inkjet connected by a power cable.

Is the WINE interface messing with me?
Thanks,
Tammy V
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,525
    @tvoss123 - OK first please explain "I can export the raster file" why are you trying to export the file...from where, to where, for what?

What happens if you make the registrations marks show on mat and print by selecting those options in File => Print Options, then print to PDF file? Do the reg marks show up there?
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    @tvoss123 - and yes there have been some reportings that MTC on the Mac will not play nice with some printers. I do not recall if was specifically a Canon, but there has been at least one reported incident of not being able to print.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • tvoss123tvoss123 Member Posts: 212
    @Liz_A Thank you for the idea.  I was just trying to print outside of MTC.  I didn't think of pdf.  That makes much more sense.   I will give it a try.
    @tvoss123 - hope that works out for you! 
    OK New question.  I exported to vector PDF and got the outline only. Should I be saving rather than exporting?
    Sorry @Liz_A  I tried to save but it only alows MTC format.
    OK. @Liz_A I just reread your first comment.  Will follow these instructions. :-0
    @Liz_A  It seems that print to PDF is a Mac only printing option and the WINE gives windows options rather than Mac.
    @tvoss123 - yes I believe the PDF printer is built in to a Mac, and you may have install a pdf printer, but I don't know how that would be done =(. If you sent as vector, then raster data will not be incorporated.
    Bummer.  I really prefer to work on my Mac.  guess I will have to dust off the PC and print from it.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    @tvoss123 print to -  pdf printer lite - free from apple store will work from mtc
    @leslie6111I will give it a go. Thank you.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,575
    As LIz says this problem has been asked about before. from memory it has been suggested that a pdf printer app be tried like cupspdf or one of the other free ones . I don;t recall anyone reporting back that they were successful

Google finds a few articles about installing a pdf print in wineskin
    but as I know nothing of mac I don't know what's involved

I did find these to suggestions

PDFWriter is a printer driver that creates a PDF of anything you print.  It then puts the the created PDF in: /Users/Shared/PDFWriter/{username}.  This is actually an alias and the PDFs are really stored in: /var/spool/PDFWriter/{username}.  I have not tested this, but in your Windows program you should be able to access them as: Z:\var\spool\PDFWriter\{username}

You can download PDFWriter at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfwriterformac/

You cannot get a Print to PDF dialog to come up, but there is a work-around to get a PDF file, albeit complex.

1. Use Print in the normal fashion

2. Put a tick, or check mark in the Print to file box which is just below the Properties button

3. Click the OK button

4. When the dialog comes up to name your file, I suggest a very unique name to make it easy to locate, make sure you add the .PS extension; for example you could name it ZWineFile.PS

5. You will NOT be given the opportunity to save in a specific location so you may have to use Spotlight or the freeware EasyFind to find the file the first time. (Just a heads-up: one wrapped app I have saves file inside the bundle.)

6. When you have located the file and double-clicked it, it should open in Preview and be automatically converted to PDF.

7. The resulting PDF in Preview will be in memory so you will have to save it or export it to get in to file.

Hope you find this helpful or at least educational.

source http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=6480&display=print

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    OK I have the app now how do I integrate this with MTC using WINE?
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,575
    edited May 2016
    Which app? pdf printer lite or pdfwriterformac

In MTC     FILE > Print Setup is there and option to select the pdf printer in the printer select drop down
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @tvoss123 - not 100% sure, but maybe the Gateway has to be involved??
    edited May 2016
    OK I think I did it.  Downloaded the PDF printer lite and added it to my printers list.  Now I have a pdf with MTC registration marks.  I will try print and cut it out later today.  Thank you  @Liz_A , @Crazy_Mr_Zing and @leslie6111 for all of your help.
  • WashiMadWashiMad Member Posts: 13
    Hello tvoss123:
    I have been away from MTC for a couple of months and just now saw your post.
    I work on a mac and must print separately from the mtc software to printer set-up. Long story short the wineskin thing connecting to my epson 3880 does not allow the full printer profile features so here is my approach which is still a work in progress:
    I create my image in photoshop making two files: one is a psd that I print and the second is a black silouette and saved as a tiff. Both files are exactly the same size. I then import the tiff file to MTC and do the pixel trace. Then use the print and cut function. As you know you must set the laser to the bottom right corner of the paper first then just proceed to the setting of the registration marks with the laser; MTC reads the borders of the file and makes registration marks which you can actually seen on your virtual mat once you do the import/pixel trace steps. My problem with this so far is calibration ie matching the cuts to my printed image. I got it quite close and want to refine this more. I am typing from memory but I think that I have remembered enough here for you to give it a try. I hope to get back to working on my zing soon: busy with other art projects ie large hand done paper cuts.

interested in your progress,
    Washimad

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!