We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Printing in Illustrator, cutting in MTC [Resolved]

hazelsmrfhazelsmrf Member Posts: 5
edited February 2016 in Resolved Issues
I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.

I designed my file in Illustrator, with the cut lines on a separate layer. I then created a larger rectangle around the image to act as registration marks. I send this to print to an 11X17 sheet on my printer.

Now here's where I get confused. I create a 17X11" custom mat in MTC. I copy my cut lines from Illustrator and do a "paste in place" to keep all of the sizing. So cut lines plus the outside rectangle.

Here's where I don't know if there's a better way. It treats all of the cut lines as one big object. Is it possible to take the big rectangle on the outside (that was created just for registration marks) and somehow make it NOT cut? I've tried node editing mode and it won't allow me to select the whole rectangle, only sides of it, and I can't seem to move it to a new layer. Can the shapes that are imported from Illustrator be broken up into different layers in MTC or do they need to be imported as separate layers?

And IF I need to import the bounding rectangle and the inner cut lines separately to have them on different layers, how do I ensure that they line up exactly so that the registration marks in MTC are in the exact location they're supposed to be? It's an intricate print and cut so if it's slightly off the whole thing will not work.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,519
    You could try this
    in illustrator rather than have the bounding rectangle place a small line in the top left and bottom right corners
    although MTC will still cut these dashes you can make them very small
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • hazelsmrfhazelsmrf Member Posts: 5
    Oooh good idea! Thank you!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,299
    @hazelsmrf - check out the MTC User Manual (UM), pdf version, here:

http://www.iloveknk.com/0um/KNKZing/KNKZingwithMTCUserManual.pdf

Starting page 67 - layers and how to use them, how to get things from one layer to another

You can dispense with the bounding rectangle box in Illustrator, and in MTC, on a new layer at the bottom, add two little lines to denote the upper very left and the lower very right of the project. They will cut, but being as they are small and you put them outside of the project they do no harm. This technique has also been discussed in webinars many times.
    If I skip the bounding rectangle box in illustrator though, no registration marks will print out onto my sheet, that's why I figured I had to do it both in illustrator and in MTC so that they'd have the same marks to line up.
    I've found a method that works for me, I created the bounding rectangle in Illustrator, and also a rectangle that covered my whole 11X17 artboard in Illustrator. I copied everything and pasted it in place into MTC. I zoomed in to the board and lined up my 11X17 rectangle with the cutting mat. Then I deleted the 11X17, resetting the reg marks to the smaller rectangle. I broke apart the remaining shapes and moved some to a new layer (that needed to be cut at a different force than the rest). Finally I sliced the bounding box so that only a tiny little line remains in the top left and bottom right. I tested it and everything lines up perfectly, I do one pass kiss cut and then another pass at a higher force cutting through the vinyl backing. I'm happy!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,299
    @hazelsmrf - good for you, glad you worked it out!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!