We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Test cut not working right [Resolved]

CravNCraftNCravNCraftN Member Posts: 355
edited February 2016 in Resolved Issues
I don't know if I have missed this topic in all my searches, but I will click the test cut key, the carriage comes over, acts like its cutting a short straight line then returns, but cuts nothing.
Post edited by Gabe on
Take Care & God Bless, Dee H Proud Wife & Mother of 2 Wonderful American Army Veterans!!! Silhouette Cameo, Cricut Expression, Cricut Cake

Comments

• CraftyGirlCraftyGirl Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2016
    @CravNCraftN What cutter? I think the plug-ins work differently? Also, what version of MTC?
  • CravNCraftNCravNCraftN Member Posts: 355
    Oh nuts, sorry @CraftyGirl..it's a 1st generation cameo and I believe it's the most recent version of mtc.
    Take Care & God Bless, Dee H Proud Wife & Mother of 2 Wonderful American Army Veterans!!! Silhouette Cameo, Cricut Expression, Cricut Cake
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,473
    @CravNCraftN Can I suggest that the head up and down movement is less than desired !! This happened to mine and before I could cut I had to manually bob the head up and down a couple of times and then test cut to see that it was free. The ratchet or spring that moves the head up and down seems to get sticky. I don't need to do it at the moment but I did for a couple of months.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Thank you, @Di-lite. I'll check that here in a few minutes when I go back there. I just assumed it was doing as it should. A great reminder that just because it "appeared" to be behaving properly doesn't mean it actually is. Next question is why is it trying to cut a short line instead of the typical triangle & square?
    @CravNCraftN Now you've got me !! Is the blade chipped? Outside of that I haven't a clue it should be cutting an x in a square. Check the pressure and the position of the number on the blade and if that is set as it should be 2-4 normally and pressure medium to top. Also check that the blade holder is properly set in it's holder. After that you need an expert as I only use it to cut thin card and the odd pnc - have yet to get adventurous.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,646
    edited January 2016
    With any cutter, if you get a horizontal line instead of the expected shape, it usually means the mat wasn't rolling in/out during the cutting. So, watch it carefully and try again. And you might want to send an actually shape, like a 3" circle so that it's easier to verify the mat isn't moving.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Thank you very much.The settings I cut Siser Glitter on are pressure 10, speed 5, & blade on 3. I had just previously cut Siser Easyweed Thursday with no problems. I checked the blade housing it is seated properly & is dropping properly. I will go check & watch the mat as suggested.
    @CravNCraftN See, the difference between me and an expert, is they cut straight to the chase. Never gave the movement of the mat a thought! oops
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Don't feel lonesome @Di-lite, I certainly didn't either. lol
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,646
    edited February 2016
    Well, the "expertise" comes from experience with the KNK's where you actually lift the pinch wheels up to change out the mat. On occasion, customers will forget to drop them back down and end up confused when all they can cut are horizontal lines! : ) So, that's why I suspect the problem is related to something causing your mat to not move in and out.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Oh, my mat is moving fine.
    Does that mean the problem is resolved or do you need your machine repaired? Sound's critical. Oh did you check for paper fluff in the blade housing?
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    edited February 2016
    Hi all, I did finally get it to cut. I'm not sure what changed, but now I have to cut the Siser glitter either at pressure 33, speed 5, & blade 3 or pressure 15, speed 5, blade 4. Thank you all & sorry for wasting anyone's time by not checking settings earlier. Now if I could just figure out how to turn off the view of the mat. I'm ready to cut my design, but it keeps telling me there are objects off the mat unless I move it a good distance down the vinyl, but I'm not even using a mat to cut it. I need that msg window to stop popping up. My daughter is going to love this shirt, but it's driving me nuts. lol
    @CravNCraftN No need for an apology - we all have our moments. Anyway you gave us all food for thought and it will help us in the future when things go awol.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    God love you, @Di-lite. I appreciate that. :) Do you know if there is a way to turn off the view of the mat?
    @CravNCraftN had a look round and couldn't see one but did find that you can have the node bar on permanently by clicking on window (top) and clicking the node menu. I didn't know that so your predicament helped me!! Maybe someone else can tell you. If it's because you want a view of what's on the mat without it you can use print preview and that give's you a white background view just to see how it will look if you were to print it.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    @CravNCraftN Sorry I didn't read your previous post. so didn't understand the mat problem properly. If stuff is not on the mat in the view and you do not want to cut it put it on a different layer and close the eye. If you do want to cut it but the mat size is too small in the view change the mat size to larger than your image for cutting - it should then stop pestering you! At least that's my take on it. You can then put your image where you want it for cutting purposes. MTC needs a mat view even if you are not using a mat but you need to tell the cutter that there is not a mat click on cut with at the top and with the cameo cutter selected in view underneath these there is cut preview check to see if use mat is ticked if it is and you don't want the mat un-tick it!! Hope this helps.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Thank you @Di-lite & glad to hear more good come of this. I was wanting to turn the mat off since I'm not using it & hoping that would rid me of the msg window opening. I thought if I could turn the mat off I could leave my design at the top of the vinyl and not have to deal with the message window popping up when I click cut.
    @De-lite I'm sorry, it's early & I'm not being clear/including important info. I know there is absolutely nothing else on the mat besides my one design. It has me completely stumped why it keep stating there is. If I could figure out why it continually sees anything else I wouldn't need to turn off my mat. To be sure nothing is anywhere I'm unable to see it, I click on my design, right click, then click on "next shape", but it never moves from my design.
    @CravNCraftN Definite a case of the gremlins! At least I blame them when things don't make sense. Have a cuppa and try again. Have you tried grabbing just your image and pasting it into another MTC to see if you can leave behind whatever it is that is causing the problem. Another option is that there is a line extending out that you cannot see try grabbing all and join (you can undo so it wont hurt) Another thing you could try is using ctrl A before joining and see what that does. Also if you want you can click attach a file and locate it and upload here and then we might be able to see what the actual problem is. I know this sound silly but it could quite literally be a single node stuck out in the middle of no where which is why I suggest the ctrl A option. A guru will probably shoot me down in flames but it's all I can think of at the moment.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,242
    First, MTC doesn't really care if you are cutting with or without a mat. It gives that message though just to let the user "make sure" that they are meaning to cut bigger then the mat showing. If any part of your design is "off the mat" in any way you will get that message. "Off the mat" would also mean if it was "overlaying" a mat border or margin area which would be a "no cut zone" for some machines. For example, the circuits had a "no cut" zone which is where the original "border" or margins on the mats came from. (You can turn off the show margins if desired.) It's no big deal if you are cutting something like vinyl that is bigger than your mat anyway and you just tell it to "cut" anyway when the message appears. If you want to eliminate the message altogether, you can do as Di suggested and make your mat "bigger" then your design area width of cutting needed.

The best way to make sure that there is nothing outside of the mat area is to reduce/shrink the mat size down to smaller so that you can see more of the area around the mat. (People used to the Silhouette software used to have issues with MTC because in that program, you simply dragged objects off the mat if you didn't want to cut it right then so they would do that in MTC rather than use the layers to open and close.) You can also do a "select all" and see if the "bounding box" is extending out past the mat margins - if so, then that would be the problem. Either there is an extraneous object off the mat that cannot be seen or the design area is bigger then you think due to bezier curve handles. If you have a design that has a lot of bezier curves to it, and you have not "flattened" the paths, sometimes the bounding box will be bigger then the design because of the bezier curve handles. If the design is close to the edges of your mat - the larger bounding box will also cause the program to think you have a design outside of the mat dimensions. If you still have margins showing - that will be part of the issue. Make sure you turn the margins off since you don't need them for this purpose (or usually for most cutters.)

There is no way to remove the mat its self from being "seen".

Based on what you stated above "Now if I could just figure out how to turn off the view of the mat. I'm ready to cut my design, but it keeps telling me there are objects off the mat unless I move it a good distance down the vinyl, but I'm not even using a mat to cut it." and "I thought if I could turn the mat off I could leave my design at the top of the vinyl and not have to deal with the message window popping up when I click cut." and since you said you have checked and don't find anything actually off the mat I suspect that you are on the margins area of the "mat" because you are trying to get it to cut at the very start of your vinyl to conserve vinyl and/or the bezier curve handles are extending out on the design past the mat. If you would like to share the file here or email it to me I would be happy to look at it and see if I can show/explain to you what would cause the issue if you don't understand what I am trying to explain! :wink: (email is in my profile.)

However, as I said - its okay to simply click yes, cut anyway and it will ignore and cut.

Also, the Siser Glitter HTV is much "thicker" then regular Siser EasyWeed and is going to take much more pressure to cut.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    Thanks @MeFlick I thought I was on the right track but your explanation is perfect. Didn't know about the bezier curves so I've learnt something. Certainly if she wants to keep her file private she should send it to you via email so that it remains safe and you can see what the problem actually is. Hope to see a good outcome to this discussion.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    @MeFlick, flattening the paths seems to have done the trick. Thank you all so much for your assistance. I'm going to get this thing cut while it seems it's playing nice. lol
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,242
    Always glad to be of help if I can - glad the "flatten paths" did the trick for you. I bet it was the bezier curve handles extending out past the mat dimensions then.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    @CravNCraftN You made me chuckle - I know exactly what you mean about playing nice!!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!