We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

SVG and MTC files both show as MTC files in my windows file folders [Resolved]

hope9811hope9811 Member Posts: 192
edited January 2016 in Resolved Issues
I'm not even sure how to word this but all of my .svg files have a little picture on them that says MTC when I look at my files in my folders on my computer. Plus my MTC files also have a little picture that says MTC on them too. Thankfully the pictures are two different versions of MTC, but how do I change the SVG files to show SVG instead of MTC. When I hover over the file, it says file type SVG or Make the Cut but how do I change the SVG to show as SVG instead of MTC? Does that make any sense? On my old laptop, svgs showed with a picture that said svg and mtc showed as mtc. Now they both show as a mtc file. I know there is a way to change this because I vaguely remember doing it years ago but I can't remember how to change that in windows..... anyone help? I tried searching but don't know what to call it to search by. LOL.
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,473
    Try right clicking on an svg file and change the open with option I think!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • hope9811hope9811 Member Posts: 192
    edited January 2016
    Thanks though. I actually WANT my svg files to open in MTC. I have spent the last 3 hours on google trying to figure this out. It's got to be a windows setting but for the life of me, I can't find it. I swear it's possible, but maybe I'm dreaming! LOL. I just want the .svg file icon to show .svg but open in MTC and I want my .mtc files to show as mtc and open in mtc. Like I said, I swear I did this on my old pc, but can't find it anywhere in my settings on my new one. Sigh. Nothing is every easy!
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    I know exactly what you are after and for the life of me I can't remember where you can change the icon for the svg files without changing the open with option. There use to be a whole load of icons (still are) and you could just use them to change a folder or what ever. @Liz_A might know - she's a wizard with that sort of thing. Age has a lot to explain my memory is very holey.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • jesprattjespratt Member Posts: 60
    I don't think you can open svg files in MTC directly (by double clicking on the file). You have to import them, so they don't need to be associated with MTC under the "open with" option.
    @jespratt that's what I thought but I wasn't sure. I import my svg files into MTC but can view them in daisy cuts if I want to by double clicking on them. But it does give an alternative icon and since I don't use the program as a rule it doesn't clash, just gives me a pretty icon.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,521
    By default, svg file format is opened by the browser, so if you do not have any other program on the computer that is associated with svg files, double clicking will open in the browser. Inkscape is a free program for all computers (PC, Mac, Linux) that supports the svg format, so installing that program means you can double click any svg file and it will open in Inkscape. From Inkscape you can select all copy and Paste in Place in MTC. Or, with an Explorer window open find your svg file and then drag it onto the MTC window to open it.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    So is there no way to just change the actual icon itself, not what program it is associated with?
    @hope9811 - generally, no. Some applications will give you several icons to choose from, I recall that MS Word had about 6 of them a few years ago, I haven't looked at anything for a long time when it comes to the icon associated with programs, the rule of thumb is that each application provides an icon for the operating system to use to uniquely identify the associated files. So for example a raster graphics program might be associated with jpg, png, bmp and tiff files...those files will all display the same icon. Changing an icon for a program might have some negative outcomes.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    Darn! LOL. Thanks for saving me more hours looking for something that I can't do anyway! At least they show in two different MTC icons. Thank you for explaining it to me.
    @hope9811 - you're welcome.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!