We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Flushing Buffers, Not Connected [Resolved]

melindarpmelindarp Member Posts: 17
edited January 2016 in Resolved Issues
I'm having issues with more detailed cuts. I can't get the complete file to transfer to my zing. I get a message that says "flushing buffers" that sticks around for a while until the machine catches up to the point where the file stopped transferring. Then the machine stops and I get a "not connected" error message. I tried using Flatten Paths and it got me 2/3 closer to complete transfer, but here it sits flushing buffers again. Please help. This issue has been driving me crazy.
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    @melindarp are you using pc or mac and operating system. USB - you said zing or bluetooth with zing air? Are you running anything in the background. Flushing buffers for a long time is not unusual, on my win 7 pc, my zing sometimes has flushing buffers for upwards of 30 minutes for a very detailed file.
  • melindarpmelindarp Member Posts: 17
    I'm running it on Windows 10 with a USB. I made sure I have the latest driver. I don't mind the flushing buffers if it would eventually finish the job, the disconnecting is costing me a lot of money in expensive paper.
    I turned off all other programs before cutting again, just in case, but it didn't resolve the issue.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,594
    @melindarp - please upload the file that is causing the issue so that it can be examined. Unless it is a file you purchased that has restrictions so that you can't share it with anyone. Upload it if you can.
    @melindarp I am aware of throttling issue with the mac, but with pc's cutting sometimes stops cause your design is usually hitting the limit switch. I do not know if the connection stops if that is the case because I usually only cut in wiziwig which keeps my designs within bounds. But this seems to be a problem with new users that are cutting very wide projects in knife point. @SandyMcC is our expert in this and all things zing.
    @leslie6111, she said she is having problems with highly detailed files. The way I read it, she has it on the mat and clicks the cut button. The Zing plug-in starts to transfer the file to the machine, but then "flushing buffers" appears before the machine begins the cut. After a while that message goes away, but then "disconnected" error is displayed. So, no limit switches involved, I'm thinking. :)
    @Gabe no telling if you cannot see the file, could even be a stray line off to side and @melindarp also said she had nothing running in the background to distract her pc and interrupt the connection. The only other time I read about this issue with a pc was that the zing had a faulty motherboard.
    @leslie6111, same here. Let's hope it is just a file with way too many nodes. :(
    edited January 2016
    @Gabe I just cut something yesterday with over 26000 nodes multicut of 2 and although the flushing buffers stayed for 1/2hour, it cut!
    I'm loading a screen shot
    This is in landscape so it's not going too far to the left. It does cut, but only half to 2/3ds of the file.
    I had a bad cable that I just switched out today. It was causing uneven pressure so I had more multicuts to get the job done. I'm going to try it with fewer multicuts and see if it will still cut completely but not run into file transfer issues.
    Transfer complete! Still, I'd like to be able to cut more than six at a time. Is there any way to successfully transfer a file with 50,000+ nodes?
    @melindarp What material are you cutting? I have never cut something that slowly. I have only gone up to that pressure for heavy vinyl remnants and only then at 3 times multicut. Every time you add to the multicut you add to the node count. I am also surprised that that shape has that many nodes.

I have cut some if Di's files and they are quite intricate - but I've never done a node count on them, I only know that her silhouette couldn't handle it.
    @melindarp if you do an autosymplify does it change the shape too much?
    @melindarp if cut that in wiziwig, you wouldn't be hitting the limit switch at all. Looking at that picture, kind of doubt you are dealing with that many nodes. Here is picture of what I cut yesterday 2 passes and it is less than 8.5 x 11. I know my zing and pc can handle an even more intricate design.
    edited January 2016
    I didn't even think of a damaged cable. Glad you figured that out. If I may ask, what's the reasoning behind the 8 and 8 speed?

That force reading is concerning, too. That would be more than you need, unless you're cutting wood. :)

Plus, is that a new blade offset I haven't heard about? I know there were changes to it, but guess I missed something.
    To be honest, I've been trying to work around the cable for so long it didn't occur to me to change my settings now that it's fixed. The pressure, speed, and number of cuts were all compensating for the uneven pressure. Thank you all for your input, I'm going to play with it a bit.
    edited January 2016
    @melindarp since it was the cable - and if you find that your zing is still not working right, I would call knk - I had to get the motherboard on my zing replaced after the usb connector sheered off and I think another forum member also has to after she hurt the mother board with a short in a bad cable.
    I tried another file that has always worked and it only got through half before disconnecting. So I uninstalled and re-installed Make the Cut and the driver and the issue has resolved :)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!