We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Blackout Needed (I think) - Resolved

CharoCharo Member Posts: 753
edited January 2016 in Resolved Issues
I am cutting this wonderful tunnel card designed by another member to learn about accordian folds but I wanted to change the anniversary layer to birds. In attached file it's the top layer. I cannot figure out what I need to do to make the inside cut out and leave the birds and the grasses attached to the edges. My brain is addled I'm afraid.
Post edited by Gabe on
Member 30818

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    edited January 2016
    @Charo I fixed the panel with the bird - so that it is solid shape - It still might need some further refinement (simplification) when you cut it to cut cleanly. You usually weld - but I also cleaned up some spots that would cut poorly. It would help if you had fill selected as well and not just outline.
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 753
    Thanks Leslie6111. What didn't I do?? You're right though; it won't cut. Blade goes back to Home instead of cutting. I read in manual to go to Advanced and select auto simplify; did that. Tried fuse and weld, flattening, all that stuff; no luck. So I guess I am going to have to do serious node editing on the grass. Tomorrow maybe...
    Member 30818
    edited January 2016
    @Charo Lots of small detail are a pain. But this is how you learn. I know it is tedious- but you'll learn if you keep at it. Node edit -zoom in real close and you can move line segments, take out nodes or use break and then shadow to make daughter shapes larger or even move them or delete them, redraw lines. I did a little of it for you already if you compare it to the original. Also I uncheck auto simplify (But I have a zing and a computer that can handle a lot of nodes.) Then I autosimplify manually and check to see I am not losing too much detail. Please post a picture of the completed tunnel book. I have done a few myself - although I do not do them as separate panals (search the forum for mine).

Why does your blade go back to home?
    @leslie6111 from the manual I am assuming it's because there are too many overlapping lines for the cutter to handle. I guess I'd better try another cut today, just to make sure it is that grass that's causing the problem and not something else. But it cut all those lacy tree leaves with no problems yesterday.
    Member 30818
    @Charo try this - I only commented on the basis of experience doing fine cuts - I reinforced some areas and got rid of places that your card stock would be unsupported. Unless your cutter has a buffer limit - this should cut fine. Compare this to your original to see what I did.
    @leslie6111 Now that was very nice of you to take time to mend this thing. I worked on it this morning too and got it to cut. I kind of like playing with those nodes! This bird should have been attached to the left side and the entire center piece was not centered. Fixed that but wore out attaching the bird piece to the left side...cheated and cut another leafy branch and glued it on to the back side. But just as said I learned a lot from this project and I understand accordian folds pretty well now.

Have a ridiculous question as I'm sure the answer is right in front of me if I knew where to look. How does one know their Forum member number??
    Member 30818
    @Charo I wasn't aware of forum numbers but we do get gallery numbers. Since
    I haven't posted to the gallery - just the forum, I do not know mine. I guess if you post something to the gallery, then you can find it and it will have your number.

@leslie6111 Sorry gallery number is what I meant. OK will go looking. Almost done gluing box together; second side not as easy as it looks. LOL. Will post photo soon.
    Member 30818
    @leslie6111 Got it done! Glued one piece wrong; pulled it apart successfully with only a few ragged edges. I think it is just beautiful. Don't want to post it as a masterpiece because this was not my design. All I did was modify one layer with a lot of help from you.

I found my mat was slipping for some reason. Or maybe I was so tired last night I forgot to lower the pinch wheels. I think that was why the poor machine went back home.

How long have you been designing and cutting??
    Member 30818
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,574
    @Charo That looks fantastic
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    The card came out great @Charo! I got make the cut! 4 years ago and that's when I started. I am still learning myself.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,473
    @Charo nice job I think you will be on a roll now.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,521
    @Charo - looking great! Just keep on doing it, you will be a pro in no time at all!
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!