We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

break vs split? [Resolved]

MeowMeow Member Posts: 584
edited January 2016 in Resolved Issues
Can someone tell me the difference between break and split functions? I think I understand the difference between join and weld. I was just working through a tutorial and I was asked to break, delete something, and then join them back together. I am not sure why I was not asked to split instead of break? Thanks.
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    edited January 2016
    Split separates whole shapes form each other - Like if your joined letters to toether to make a WORD - split would separate the W from the O - the O from the R and the R from the D. Break goes further separates the daughter shapes from the parent shapes not only the individual letters would be separate, but also for the R and O & D break, would would separate little circle in the top of the R and the middle of the D and O but the W would stay the same.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,575
    edited January 2016
    Great question and has been asked and explained before but still dummie me still don't understand or I didn't sink in .I'm still at click break then if that now what I want i undo and try split. though
    So I'm standing bye to watch as well
    I did have a light bulb moment with the layer function I hope it doesn't fade away next time I need to use it

oh found a video

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,523
    @Meow - make yourself a bookmark to the MTC User Manual:

http://www.iloveknk.com/0um/KNKZing/KNKZingwithMTCUserManual.pdf

It is so easy to search that document by holding CTRL and then tapping the f key. Type what you are looking for, eg, Split. You will find the definition and explanation. Then you don't have to wait for someone to come along and answer =).
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • MeowMeow Member Posts: 584
    @Liz_A, thanks. I did not know that it could be searched.
    @Liz_A any document, any webpage can be searched with the same keyboard command =) Built right into Windows and programs. I am like Einstein, I don't use brain power for something I can look up =) ROFLMBO
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • MeowMeow Member Posts: 584
    @Liz_A, I never knew that. That is so neat!
    @Meow - oh I am jaded, and I teach this stuff, also learned to use a computer before mice came along, LOL!
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,473
    edited January 2016
    @Meow ditto with computers keyboard - mice came in with drawing tablets which of course i had one ~(cost an arm and a leg)!! Ctrl f - new one on me, will put it into my brain with an * and hope it retains it!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    CTRL+F = find
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,594
    Actually, there are quite a few keyboard shortcuts, many of which are application specific. Different shortcuts for Outlook, Excel, Word, etc. You can find all sorts of illustrations and charts of keyboard shortcuts for pretty much any app with a simple Google search. Below is a short list of general Windows keyboard shortcuts. There are longer lists. Years ago it was taught to most PC techs that we needed to memorize ALL the keyboard shortcuts so that we could navigate and operate a user's computer when the mouse was not working. And BTW, are you familiar with all of the MTC keyboard shortcuts? Sandy has them all listed in the user manual. Very handy!
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,473
    I noticed the shortcuts in MTC but didn't understand how to use them!! Since watching the webinars the light bulb went off and now I am using quite a few of them. Problem is it takes quite a time before my brain registers these short cuts. Age don't you know!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Rosie0530Rosie0530 Member Posts: 3,147
    You guys are so smart and so helpful! Thanks for this bit of wisdom!
    Rosie in VA. originally from PA. Proverbs3:5,6
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,594
    @Di-lite, Make a copy the list from the manual and pin it up where you do your work. Then checking the list of shortcuts is just a glance away. After a few days you probably won't even need the cheat sheet any longer. :)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!