We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Using manual "Registration Marks" for engraving [Resolved]

RalRal Member Posts: 6
edited January 2016 in Resolved Issues
Hello all,

I have done my research as best I know how and have run into a problem I hope all you experts can show me the light..!

Trying engrave this sign using two layers one layer for the image the other for engraving the lettering in the proper fields (hope that's the right way to do this). Problem I'm having is the registration marks for the actual engraving are inside the sign image so I can't use those... I have printed and cut the sign image (see photo) and glued it to a jig I made to keep the sign in place. So I'm basically trying to use the reg marks for the sign instead of the lettering. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I am using latest version of MTC cutting with blackcat cougar 24" using the KNK plugin.

Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,574
    edited January 2016
    It maybe help if you share your MTC file

Try creating a rectangle larger than the sign change the colour to white and move the layer to the bottom
    keep this layer visible during the print and cut process

what you understand the concept there is also a method shown in the videos of using small lines to create registration marks

these video may help
    Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio Q&A Webinar - April 15 2014
    Timestamp 01:38:50 MTC: Bryan demonstrates making a "template" exporting and importing from Basic Shapes (Your Shapes) so that the “registration marks” used for print and cuts (he references using the Silhouette Cameo in general) can remain “static” rather than “moving” depending upon items on mat. (This is needed in particular if you are wanting to “cut” smaller than what you are “printing”). He then shows how to save it as a “template” to your shapes.

Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio Q&A Webinar - December 30 2014
    Timestamp 00:21:30 MTC: Bryan reviews question raised on this thread regarding placement of registration marks: forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/40811/mtc-registration-marks-any-way-to-space-them-out-from-the-objects
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • RalRal Member Posts: 6
    I appreciate your quick help. Thank you!

If my understanding is correct. I need to give MTC a rectangle the exact same size of the outside edge of the sign and make sure it matches up. I'm trying to make sure I understand the "concept" as you would say. This is important to me... That being said. What's the reason for creating a third layer and making sure it's on the bottom as you reccommeded?

Thanks!

RAL
    edited January 2016
    I don't have any experience with blackcat cougar
    have your dpne a print and cut calibration if required

DO you have the show reg mark option set

File > Print Options > Show reg marks on Mat

this video may help you under stand the need for a separate registration mark layer
    https://vimeo.com/43821152

I think this video may also be of interest
    https://vimeo.com/76741912
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited January 2016
    I watched the video (thank you btw..) and that makes sense creating a shape larger than the actual project to have the reg marks outside my sign. But, how can I keep the shape in question from cutting.? To help you understand my issue with this is the fact that I'm using a larger piece of chipboard that has a cut out, so I can fit the sign inside (to hold it in place) to engrave the lettering. I attached an image of this when I started discussion. As you can see the engraving tool will tear up my chipboard jig. And I need that for future signs... There has to be a way. Right...? I really hope there is.

P.s. I did watch the vid making a template for engraving the stars and that could work. Only concern is precision. I need the everything perfectly square and close as possible. This is why I'm attempting the print n cut feature.

Thanks!
    If you don't want that shape you could use the other method shown in the webinar videos using the 2 small lines
    your cutter will still make cuts on those to lines

But I thought this video shows the same as you want to do
    it does not require print and cut reg marks https://vimeo.com/76741912
    edited January 2016
    I after all your help it looks like making to super small lines in each corner is the way to go. (Can't be "Eyeballing it" when I set it up. Signs too expensive to ruin)

Do you know what the default spacing on reg marks would be? Other words. If I place the lines 5" high and 7" wide. Would the reg marks be placed .250", .5", 1" etc. outside in relation to the corners..? You seem to have a very good understanding Mr.Zing. Hoped u might know so I know how to plan this out with out guessing. If not, I'll post my findings for you and everyone
    I really think it would help if you actually attached your MTC file then we can see what you have
    there is a blue link below the message box saying attach file

what is the size of the material you will make your template (jig) from
    what is the size of the sign you which to engrave

why don't you print some of you signs out on cardstock the cut same size and use them to test

• GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,594
    @Ral, when you have material that is dear, save the actual cutting until you know it will work. First, use something that you don't care about much, like card stock or even copy paper. Run the cut with that and be sure it doesn't what you think it will do. We've all heard many sad stories here about people using expensive or rare material, and cutting it over and over, using up lots of it, trying to get it right.

Once or twice I've even gone through this progression - plain copy paper on the mat and a ink pen instead of a blade. Then, when that works as expected, use copy paper on the mat and put in the blade, just to be sure it still is working as expected. Then, if you have it, use a small piece of your preferred material to do a general test cut to be sure you've got the right pressure and blade depth. And once you know that works, then load the actual material you want to use.

That way, if you don't get the right results, you've wasted nothing but your time.
    edited January 2016
    Thank you ALL for your advice and help! I did use scrap to get it right and finally got'er done Lol.

Till my next catastrophe.
    -Ral
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!