We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Fonts look fine on screen but cut different font on zing air [Resolved]

cbdcbd Member Posts: 21
edited January 2016 in Resolved Issues
I have a strange problem with fonts on a Zing Air running MTC on a mac (with wine). I first installed the font stencilia (from dafont) which shows up fine on the screen but my Zing air cuts a completely different font. So then I tried Arial which is built in and got another different font when it cuts.

I usually run MTC on an ancient pc (running Vista) but sometimes I get so frustrated with the pc that I use my macbook pro running El capitan instead. I haven’t had the time for MTC for months so I can’t remember anymore which computer I’ve used for which project but I think I’ve used the mac before with text without any problem. However that may have been when I used to run MTC within Parallels. Sadly Parallels slowed down everything so I’m back to using the wine version.

The attached file is the stencil I was cutting. The top is supposed to be stencilia and the bottom is supposed to be arial.

Anyone else have this problem or know what I am doing wrong.
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    @cbd MTC should be the same on either platform - MAC or PC. Granted I usually do not cut from my MAC, but I do design on it and share files between my mac and pc them all the time. My MAC uses the wine version or MTC. I looks more like your blade is dragging and not cutting cleanly. That can happen for a variety of reasons. First I suggest you pen your work as a test and see if it looks right. Then try to get the stencil material to cut cleanly.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,473
    You've got a gremlin! This is a new one on me so I'll leave it to the experts - just a thought have you tried starting from scratch again. ( shut down and up computer) create a new file and try again. Just might be some sort of glitch in the original file (system).
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • astack229astack229 Member Posts: 878
    @cbd, you do not have a gremlin. I, too, noticed a difference in how the fonts render on my Mac compared to my PC. My favorite font is Mussica Swatch. On the Mac it looks very boxy. If you look at my picture, the one on the left was from MTC on the Mac, the one on the right was from MTC on my PC. Definitely different! Don't know why but it is!
    @astack229
    Sorry, a 'gremlin' in my book is when a program or software behaves differently to what I expect. They pop up all over the place and leave you wondering what you did wrong but it's not you but the way the program functions. I'd say a glitch or a fault if there was a problem in the real sense.
    It's definitely strange that the two formats perform so differently. It's something to be aware of when using text and if possible to use the format that works best. Apologies if I gave the wrong impression. Thanks for putting me straight.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,646
    I recommend the following: Take a screen shot of your lettering in MTC, use the test pen to draw that lettering on paper, and then take a photo of the result. Post those images here. Then start a support ticket using this link: http://make-the-cut.com/Support/ and post the link to this topic.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,293
    edited January 2016
    Based on cbd's original post ("..which shows up fine on the screen but my Zing air cuts a completely different font..."), this looks to be a problem with the blade offset. Once Make The Cut! brings text onto the mat, it becomes a path, not a font. So if the letters look okay on the virtual mat in Make The Cut!, it can't decide to change fonts when it cuts. @cbd - please do as others have suggested and use a test pen (making sure the blade offset is set to 0 or is turned off), and then post the actual file you used as well as a picture of the result of the test using the pen. At this point, I see no need to open a support ticket.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,521
    @SBryanW - of course, what were we all thinking :) Good catch.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • cbdcbd Member Posts: 21
    Yes, Bryan was correct. Before I even read his post I decided to test the cut using my PC. And that was when I noticed that I somehow had .75 for the blade offset. Of course it cut perfectly when set to .25. When I returned to the MAC and changed the offset it also worked.

I haven't had time to work with MTC or my zing for months and I have forgotten so much. I have a sticker on my Zing that reminds me that the standard blade should be set to .25 and the thick material blade should be .75. I am cutting a stencil out of a sandblasting resist, so I don't know why I would have chosen the thick setting and then used the red blade. I think I might have just forgotten to change it from what might have been set months ago. Now I have colored the sticker so I'm hoping it won't happen again.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I can't think of words to describe how impressed I am with this community, the manual, the videos, the supportive forum and the webinars. I just wish I had enough time to absorb them all.
  • astack229astack229 Member Posts: 878
    @Di-lite - so sorry didn't mean anything by that comment. I'm a programmer and whenever something doesn't go the way we want we blame it on the gremlins. Unfortunately, most gremlins don't act badly in front of the person who can fix them. Sort of like when I was a teenager, I'd say "Hey, Dad, the car is making a funny noise!" and sure enough, when he turned it on, it wouldn't make it! "A Gremlin"!!!
    @astack229 No offence taken, that's my meaning of a gremlin - I just wasn't sure we were on the same page!!
    I had a similar situation with my car, I told my man the front left wheel was wobbly!! Of course he's good driver and tried it out and got the garage to check since I was adamant that it was real just to placate me. No nothing - then on my way home a week later the wheel collapsed!! Suspension had gone on the king pin. Nobody believed me but there was the proof. Gremlins!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!