We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Plane Problems [Resolved]

CharoCharo Member Posts: 753
edited January 2016 in Resolved Issues
Today I am creating an arch on a 2-inch plane. But when I try to secure anchors the program sends me to the BOTTOM, not the back, and will not show the yellow anchor lines on the BACK plane so I can attach. Why??
Post edited by Gabe on
Member 30818

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,574
    edited January 2016
    The 2 issue that I find that hinder getting the yellow line are

I'm guessing the anchors are going to be horizontal from the arch to the back of the card so are you on a horizontal plane

1, The edge of the shape does not have enough flat area to attach the anchor
    2, Having the snapping set below 1/8"
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    @Charo have you reviewed all of Susan's webinars? This is a hard program to understand without being shown first - it is kind of like making a roux by following directions in a book - it really helps to watch someone make it first.

Hit D on keyboard and left click to get back to arch (x y plane), then the space bar to get to the y z plane perpendicular so that you can draw your anchor. You can use your mouse wheel to scroll to the different plane intersections at that plane. I sometimes have a hard time seeing if the anchors are connected to the back of the card so I select them and hit the go to the bottom of the plane icon (the arrow with the line at the bottom) and if there is a gap I can fill it in with the pen tool (auto-quad) and them merge the anchors into one.
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 753
    Oh. Crazy Mr. Zing I bet you are right...too close to edge. I am using 1/8 inch snap though.

Leslie6111. I've watched ALL Susan's videos, several of them more than once too. However I have to say retention is another matter. And thanks for the D description. In many videos and vimeos I haven't known exactly how that D worked.

The only thing I am NOT having a problem with is understanding which plane I'm on. LOL. Frustrating as the plane I want is just about never where I want to be.

OK back to the drawing board with new info.
    Member 30818
    @Charo keep at it you will get the hang of it. I had the lucky chance to learn the program when it was first introduced. Susan invited a few of us early users into a few hangouts. Then I spent days redoing already made popup cards by eye - and that taught me tons about the program. And esp little tricks like merging anchors when I cannot see visually well enough. Now I am able to make my own original cards, but it took me months of practice.
    Yes I think retaining it my issue my Brain is either full or has corrupted cells as new data ins't always retained

If all else fails attach the PCS and tag Susan
    I'm sure Susan will spot the issue standing on head while also weaving a rug :)
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    I was wondering just how long Susan had been at this to know what she knows. Maybe I don't want to know. So it worked the first time but the center of my arch had an anchor problem. Could not select it to delete, started over, and encountered same problems. Somehow program put me back on bottom plane and could not get out and that is the only place that insignificant yellow line would show up. That yellow like is so hard to see; I wish it was a lot brighter and bigger. Think I will give up for a while and go fold clothes, something I know how to do!
    Member 30818
    edited January 2016
    Silly question the top of your arch does have a flat section to attach the anchor ?

Something it good to step away and come back fresh minded though folding laundry is quite extreme LOL

I have a Theory why fold what you will wear again soon
    and
    I DO NOT IRON

when I worked I have a clothes line in the garage which was more like my wardrobe I hung the shirt on coat hangers so I washed - hung - Wore
    so the clothes just went around the circuit
    edited January 2016
    @Charo attach the file Change your screen to grey - the pink is hard to see the lines.
    No. Well I mean each piece of arch section is about 3/8 inch wide maybe. I've attached them all successfully before but a couple of days ago I was moving files around, trying to clean up my computer, and deleted a whole bunch of files, which is why I am starting over. I think I had better go watch beginning PCS again because today I can't even figure out how to select things I want to delete.
    My arch top is above the white line, on purpose. This popup is for a memorial for my sister's doggie who just died and I am sizing the arch opening to fit the photo I have. I'm thinking maybe I have it too high and that's why the center anchor acts so strange. Hmmm....off to try.
    Member 30818
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,521
    @Charo - Susan has been doing popup cards long before PopUp Card Studio came along, so she can see how things should be in her head =), and so its much easier for her to translate that to the computer screen. She worked as a beta tester for Andy the developer, so the way things work now may be a direct result of her expert feedback. You'll see that her blog goes back a number of years and is filled with all the things she has created.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    Well I am totally impressed with anyone who learns PCS. So. I don't think the top of the arch has anaything to do with my plane problems. The minute I hit D left click it switches to the bottom and to 4 inches or so plane. Doesn't matter how many times I hit D left click; it doesn't change unless I go up to right side of program and manually tell it I want a plane of 2 and the back. It won't stay there and it won't give me the yellow line. I think I am doing something (or not) ridiculous. In attached file if I hit D, left clock, I get sent right back to bottom and 4 something inches out.

Hey Crazy Mr. Zing you made me laugh. I also don't iron. A while back I enjoyed your response about PNC too; you said there were some real experts out there and you weren't one of them. Hah. But you sure told me a bunch about PNC!
    Member 30818
    edited January 2016
    @Charo watch the one on global resources - some of the stuff was covered by Bryan in the MTC webinars. When global resources works, it helps resize things - when it doesn't there are some tricks so you do not have to start over. You can cut and paste between 2 open pcs pages as well. You can merge and shadow shapes as well.
    Leslie6111 forgot to say I am totally impressed you can re-create cards in PCS. Also that was a good solution to change screen to grey so I an see those pesky yellow lines if they ever show up where I want them to.

Member 30818
    @Charo, D, left click on the mouse. Then space bar. What do you want done to the file? I can fix it now that I am on my pc and repost it.
    It is too tall to close without peaking thru the card though.
    @Charo Here is the arch sized down to fit the height of the card with the anchors attached. I have not done any dog sympathy cards - but I have done quite a few for friends that have lost their cats.
    Thanks so much Leslie 6111. Do you think it wouldn't work because I had it peaking out the top? But I did that once before (lost the file) and it worked. It was very nice of you to fix for me.
    Member 30818
  • SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,293
    Charo said:

...Do you think it wouldn't work because I had it peaking out the top?...

No. Your file works as you posted it just by adding the anchors. It is just that if you actually cut it out and folded it, the top of the arch would extend past the edge of the card. I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, but I had no problem adding the anchors to the file you posted. If you want, I can go over that in the Q&A webinar on Tuesday night.
    Yes just as Bryan said. I only sized it down cause when folded it would have been too tall for the card. You could have sized in down in MTC just the same. @SBryanW it probably wouldn't hurt if you did a short review of pcs since we seem to have new users and they have not had the benefit of learning first hand the intricacies of the program and they can ask questions real time if need be. I know that the information has been gone over before but it is contained in multiple webinars and on Susan's blog and that is a lot to learn on your own.
    I can manage to add the top anchors ok
    are you using auto quad - two point rectangle and try increase your snapping

I so rusty with pcs so I might lead you astray a bit and there maybe better ways

do you know once change to the correct plane holding Shift and using the arrow keys the plane will jump up or down the distance of the snapping but it will also stop where I finds a horizontal section of the shape eg where the anchors will attach

I had a feeling there was a trick to quickly do the stepped anchors ..maybe not
    OK back to watch global resources video. SBryanW it would be great if you could do a short lesson on whatever I am missing Tuesday night. I want the arch to be big enough (on an letter-sized card stock) for the pet photo I am gluing inside to look sized right; that's why arch is sticking out top of card. This card won't be mailed and isn't intended to fold correctly, if that makes any sense.
    Member 30818
    @Charo if your card base is larger than letter size, you can cut the popup part bigger as long as you cover the edges of the completed card to hide the short edges. With top and bottom shapes. I do that when I make my 180 degree pop ups. They fold in the middle, but I am restricted by 12x12 card stock so I hide the short popup but make my card base larger. Hard to explained in words.
    You can always scan in your photo as a texture resize it to fit and the cut the popup as a print and cut. Then you are not size restricted. I also have done pnc pop ups. I do more of those than paper pricing.
    edited January 2016
    @Charo So are you still having issues getting the anchors to attach?

I'm Wondering if you working with the vertical plane selected not the horizontal
    On the PCS Menu it labelled Edit Side .. Bottom should be selected

I thought once the card is complete you could adjust it of centre in MTC so the horizontal flap is shorter that the vertical > I think that would work ??
    Post edited by SBryanW on
  • SusanBluerobotSusanBluerobot Member Posts: 1,185
    @Charo Hope this helps if not let me know and we will help more ways
    Bye for now, Susan [email protected] | www.susanbluerobot.com I am an affiliate for Popup Card Studio™. If you are considering purchasing Popup Card Studio, please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate for Make the Cut™. If you are considering purchasing Make the cut , please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate of Scrap Factory™. if you are considering purchasing Scrap Factory , please use this link and support my blog!
    Really??? Crazy Mr. Zing and Susan you are showing me I should be anchoring while on the BOTTOM plane. I was NOT doing this; thought I needed to be on the back plane. And here I thought the plane business was the only thing I really understood. Yikes.
    Member 30818
    Leslie6111 I don't have much 12 x 12 paper on hand but that would have been a good solution if I'd done better planning. On resizing my photo I had a lot of difficulty as I couldn't get the background deleted out of my photo. But using a real photo to pnc and include in a popup raises a lot of new possibilities.
    Member 30818
    @Charo I am not as good as others with photos, but I use 2 different methods - Either I try to erase the background in photo elements 13 and then pixel trace that in as a texture in MTC. Or I bring in the whole image in MTC as a texture, lock it and on a separate layer I use the pencil tool to draw around what I want to keep. I like the pencil tool better than the bezier pen cause I can draw in straight lines, and then adjust the lines around the shape with the node editing pointer. I then place the shape below the texture, hit join and then layer. Click away and then click on it to separate the new filled shape and the original texture that I delete.

Once you have the part you want to keep, you size it in MTC. Just bring in a copy of the arch to help you size down the dog shape. Since it is a texture you can only size down proportionally keeping the width and length ratio the same. You can either cut from MTC or PCS. For PNC's I find it easier to cut from MTC. But, if you cut from PCS then you need to bring that shape back into PCS.
    Oh good advice. I am printing and saving to my rapidly increasing NOTES TO MEMORY file.
    Well, with all the advice and help I had fun creating something today. But when I looked at the final print preview it's going to fall apart. Guess I can't have cut outs in fronts of arches, or maybe they are too big. The circle to the left was a moon hanging on .5 plane that anchored but disappeared and then I found it where it is later. The tree on 1.75 plane doesn't have enough to anchor too I guess as no little yellow lines show up. But progress thanks to all the help provided me.
    Member 30818
    @Charo I thought it must be something like that as I had no trouble doing it with your file. to a few hours for my mind to process then it came to me
    It take a little bit of practice to get the plane thing sorted in your mind
    I still have issues visualising when doing 180deg cards

I was visualising this as a photo frame so though you could keep it the same size but send the file to MTC a then move the design down I think maybe 3" from the top so it is off centred

then if you wish you could glue a bit extra to base that also folded back underneath ( i'm think sort of think like those ipad folding cases)
    I get it! Another good idea Crazy Mr. Zing. I am dreaming about ideas and ways now; I bet you think of answers at night too. This cutting machine is taking all my time, since October! But I think I had a break through today; thanks to all the help. I never thought I'd get hooked on another computer program after I retired. LOL.
    Member 30818
    @Charo you are well on the right track here is how it will work . and the two branches will be glued on seperately

Bye for now, Susan [email protected] | www.susanbluerobot.com I am an affiliate for Popup Card Studio™. If you are considering purchasing Popup Card Studio, please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate for Make the Cut™. If you are considering purchasing Make the cut , please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate of Scrap Factory™. if you are considering purchasing Scrap Factory , please use this link and support my blog!
    @Charo are you going to webinar I could do this as demo in webinar and show you an easy way to fix it all ?
    Sorry Susan I didn't see your message earlier but I was thrilled to watch you fix this. It really helped me to understand if something cuts out it's GONE and nothing can be attached to it. Making progress now. Trying to figure out how to put tabs on top of owl and branch on a separate popup so they can anchor. It looks so easy when you do it!
    Member 30818
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,473
    @Charo I feel the same way as I have watch Susan on earlier webinars but I will have a go at this pcs stuff later when I have time.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Here is my card after watching Susan's vimeo. I did have to re-do it as I could not remember how to select stuff I didn't want. And somehow the two sides around the cut out in front of smallest arch got to be all dashed lines. The sides should have been cut; gave up and just cut those parts by hand. It was all perfectly clear when watching Susan! I will re-watch when vimeo is posted. I was able to add a pop out tab for the tree in front of smallest arch but because the card is so deep the tree stuck out the top. So I used glue instead.

This is addictive. My husband wants to know if I am ever going to cook dinner again.
    Member 30818
    leslie 6111: I pixel traced photo as texture per the second way you bring photos in. But when I drew a line around it the picture disappeared and it became just an outline. Double-checked print preview to make sure and yep, no picture. What did I miss?
    Member 30818
    @Charo Pixel trace at 255 with texture and black out checked to bring in your picture. Draw a shape around what you want to keep essier to do if you lock the layer with the picture. Then unlock and put shape under picture. Select both. Click join and then layer icon. Click away and then seperate the layer - getting rid of the picture.
    Charo said:

This is addictive. My husband wants to know if I am ever going to cook dinner again.

Well my husband is still waiting for that day to come again been well over two years for me

@Charo your card turned out FANTASTIC
    Thanks Leslie6111. I was missing the blackout part. Kind of makes a big difference doesn't it.
    SusanBlue, you made me laugh. I made dinner last night; will tell my husband he's lucky. LOL.
    Member 30818
    Charo said:

Thanks Leslie6111. I was missing the blackout part. Kind of makes a big difference doesn't it.
    SusanBlue, you made me laugh. I made dinner last night; will tell my husband he's lucky. LOL.

Well as most would know the time i spent before the Pop up card studio was release testing the program, I did nothing in the house other than sit at the computer, I would go to bed of a night just to find myself an hour later to be back at the computer working on the next thing that came to my head (Andy and Bryan would say I need to get some sleep ) THERE was even the odd occasion that hubby (Neal) would come into the work room and say come on get you bag we are going out for the day to give you brain a rest .
    That is exactly what I am doing! Can't stop thinking about how to do things and possibilities. I think my brain, not to mention my husband, might appreciate spring when I HAVE to get working in the garden. Whoa boy...
    Member 30818
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!