We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Editing Tools [Resolved]

CharoCharo Member Posts: 753
edited December 2015 in Resolved Issues
MTC is driving me nuts today. I am trying to make a shadow box (which I still don't know how to do as I missed half of the last vimeo and the recording isn't posted yet I am sure due to holidays). Editing tools (bezier and free hand lines) are going to a layer that I don't want...layers I don't want are NOT checked to look at and are locked to boot). And the choice of line style on bezier lines is greyed out and won't let me change to a solid line. I feel there is something ridiculously simple that I am not getting here. Help please!
Post edited by SBryanW on
Member 30818

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,521
    @Charo...we typically may not see the recording from a webinar til the weekend following, but given that Christmas is just past, yes, I am sure Bryan is like most of us, enjoying time with family and friends.

It does not matter if a layer is locked or not, if it is the last selected layer any new shapes will go there. Try making sure that you are on a layer that is not locked.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,293
    @Charo - the video from 2015-12-22 is posted already (over an hour before you started this thread).

The Layer that is the dark gray is the "active" layer. Make sure you click on the layer you want your new shapes/lines to go to.
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 753
    Thanks all. I hope I didn't offend you SBryan. I did check the vimeos before I wrote my message but didn't see the one for December 22 for some reason. The answer was ridiculously simple...I didn't know the layer had to be SELECTED as well as unlocked and viewed. Good grief. You all solved my problems today; thank again. And your almost instant response from both Liz A and SBryan saved my day.
    Member 30818
  • SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,293
    No worries! I'm glad you have it working now.
    Now my eraser isn't working. Inverse eraser is NOT checked but instead of erasing a cut line I don't want, it is adjusting the line. NOW what am I doing wrong please??
    Member 30818
    @Charo...if you are clicking and dragging along a line on the edge of a closed shape, yes that is what is supposed to happen, it acts like a trimmer. To see what I mean go across a shape starting outside the shape, go right across to the other side, outside the shape. See that erased, right??
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    To remove a line, use the Edit Paths tool, click on the line you want to remove, then press the Delete key.
    Oh. So it's because I am trying to erase one line of a closed shape. And I'm supposed to be starting OUTSIDE a closed shape to make it erase; I've been starting from the inside. I have used Edit Paths under Node function but I like the eraser tool a lot better.

Thanks Liz-A. You've got me going in the right direction again.
    Member 30818
    @Charo - so glad that you are on the right path! Happy Cutting!
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,473
    @Liz_A and @Charo I found out by accident earlier last week the connection between the layer you have selected and the additions you are working on. It's amazing how much you have to learn to get the maximum from MTC but it's well worth the effort. I'm getting there and am almost starting to design directly in MTC just a few more steps!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    @Di-lite I am quite convinced that there is a little bug in MTC in regards to layers that are closed/locked. You just have to watch enough of webinars to see this happens to Julie and Susan a lot (sometimes even Bryan). Its like if you lock/hide a layer, it becomes reselected, even if you have clicked on another unlocked/unhidden layer. Its a quirk I have experienced and noticed a lot, so hence am convinced its a bug =). Not the end of the world, but there never the less.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!