We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

I don't get the Blade height??? Help [Resolved]

BDowneyBDowney Member Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in Resolved Issues
I am new to the Zing Air and have been practicing practicing practicing. Following all the settings for blade length and height. I cut stencils for painting and so I need clean cuts. More often than not I can not get any cuts only scoring. I am currently trying to cut Grafix Clear overlay film .005 and no matter what I do it only scores. I reset and reset and same result. That blade I know is out too far but will not cut thru only score. Test cut will work then I go to cut my design and does not cut thru. I feel like its the blade height. It seems like the rim on the holder will only allow it to be that height no matter what I do with my post it notes.... what am I not doing or understanding.
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,647
    Is the film pressed down well onto the mat. If it's "loose" then the blade won't be able to penetrate it.

Another thing... when you're setting the blade tip height, make sure you're not pressing down on the blade holder seat while turning the thumb screw. Allow the blade to be resting on top of the 25 Post It note stack and then tighten the screw without moving the bladeholder seat at all. Then, as you slide out the Post it notes, make sure you feel the blade scratching the top of the notes.

Then use the recommended settings for 5 mil film and do a small test cut. Make sure that cut is clean before proceeding. If you see deep cut lines in your mat, retract your blade. You don't want to be cutting into the mat because you will then get lousy inconsistent cuts on the film and be unnecessarily dulling the blade.

If you still can't get a clean cut, try your other blade. It's possible the red one got chipped.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    edited December 2015
    @BDowney What pressure are you using? The film is very thin, your blade should only be exposed very slightly, only to the length of the film. Are you trying to manually test your blade depth by going thru one layer of the material? The postit notes is used to get enough height so that the zing can punch down into the film so if you I am assuming you are using the standard zing blade and blade holder and they are 25 postit notes above the mat loaded with the film. The next thing to do is to adjust the pressure. If you find you are using very high pressure for the material, then it is better to ease up on the pressure and do multicuts. I have not tried cutting grafix - but I have had to cut htv at 30 multicut - so I would start at 25 and recut if that is not enough.
  • BDowneyBDowney Member Posts: 3
    Sandy it is pressed down with a brayer so I know it is adhered well. I am not pressing down on the holder at all and see now with the post it notes it actually holds it up not coming close to the rim. setting are correct force of 60 cut speed is 15 and 1 pass... How could I possibly have chipped the blade its not fallen or been anywhere but in and out of the machine or in and out of the box. the only other blade I have is the blue and isn't that too much for this .005 film. So frustrated.
    also what does this mean Leslie? ..... cut htv at 30 multicut - so I would start at 25 and recut if that is not enough.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    edited December 2015
    @BDowney multicut is doing more than 1 pass.

But I had some so I did a test cut with the zing blade (an old one though) and I found that a force of 100 at 2 passes worked. The stuff is hard to cut! I had tried 35 and it only went part way thru even in a multipass test, so then I upped the force to 100 and even then it didn't cut thru cleanly. I then cut again at 100 and got a clean cut. You might be able to lower the pressure if you do more than the 2 passes, but I do not have many sheets of the .5 film and didn't want to waste the material. I hope this helps. Just cut again at a higher force and you could be able to get a clean stencil.
    Post edited by leslie6111 on
  • BDowneyBDowney Member Posts: 3
    thank you .... I cut at force of 100 and a single cut and it did the job..... I was using the settings that the manual gave and specific to the grafix .005 acetate .... who knew it would be incorrect.... thank you for your help.
    Have a great holiday
  • Calgalcre8sCalgalcre8s Member Posts: 2,901

@BDowney... Just a note - It is not that the suggestions in the MTC manual are incorrect, it is that every machine is a bit different. You have to tweak your machine to cut to your specific needs. That is why @SandyMcC includes a Settings Form for you to fill out the settings for your particular materials and specifications. Have fun!!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,525
    @BDowney - @Calgalcre8s is correct...even within the same family of paper, eg Worldwin CutMates, there is a bit of different for the cut settings between colours. I find the range of pressure can be quite different for the Stampin Up papers, the regular cardstock colours. Things change all the time, a paper manufacturer may bring in wood from a different forest, and its harder or different in some way, the resulting paper will be different in some way. The settings in the User Manual are suggestions only, your mileage may differ.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!