We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC not showing print lines in grid [resolved]

Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,473
edited December 2015 in Resolved Issues
Hi, I imported a graphic using svg of a DIY calendar I am in the process of designing. When I click print preview it shows the text but not the grid - why - what's wrong with my grid!! Or is it just my computer that is being difficult. I've been going round in circles with this one and getting no where. It works just fine when I use png but the accuracy is not as sharp.
Post edited by Gabe on
Have fun, Di, ID 14610
UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
Feel free to use anything in these links.

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,574
    edited December 2015
    what file type did these originate from svg?

have you tried just importing fills still I don't that will help in the end

Unless print shape outlines set in print options
    Print preview will only show the colour set for of the inside of the shapes
    I guess you could think of the colour as a texture
    The numbers shape colour is set to black the grid shape colour is set to white
    white on white = nothing

But I think that still not going to eliminate the grid lines and the number being cut out

well that's what I think
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,473
    I was going to put an outer ring to cut - It just that when it prints it needs the grid. I don't understand why the print cant see the lines - most times you don't want it to print the lines - this time I want them to print - completely confused! I tried a colour in the squares but that didn't help. Never had this problem before - the gremlins are on overtime again.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    edited December 2015
    because the grid line are shape outlines so are the number outline
    at present the result for each month would be 35 squares each
    with the number cut out of them

If you could import the lines with some fill colour
    the do a texture snapshot of each month the each moth could be cut out complete

is the svg file available online or did you create it

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited December 2015
    I did this by creating a texture of the grid
    I think there's and easier way though
    cal.png 71.2K
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing Am I right in thinking that you grabbed the grid without the numbers to create the texture? To be honest if that's the only way of doing it I am going to export as png and import as pixel. It's just frustrating that I can't get the svg to work. I created the whole file myself in Serif Draw as I work faster in that media and have not used the text aspect of MTC - I wanted to retain the text so that I could change the font in Serif which is relatively easy. It only took me about half an hour to create all seven months along with months, year and numbering. Perhaps @SBryanW could explain what is going on here in his webinar.
    The problem is I am re-inventing the wheel and it has square edges!!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    I think Its probably just an issue with the svg
    if you attach your svg or maybe just one month I'm sure someone will come op with the solution
    @SandyMcC Any suggestions as to what I am not doing or should be doing?
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,646
    I just went through the responses and I don't see that you specifically verified @Crazy_Mr_Zing 's first suggestion about the "Print Shape Outlines" option being turned on under File>Print Options? If that's not it, then we would need to see the file itself.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,242
    edited December 2015
    @SandyMcC - the file is provided in her first post above.

@Di-lite I downloaded and check your file and as Crazy_Mr_Zing and Sandy have suggested - in order to "see" and print the actual grid lines, you need to go to the File-->Print Options---> and make sure that you have a check mark in the box next to the "print shape outlines" to turn it on and print the grid.

This is because each of the "lines" is actually the shape outline of a square or rectangle with a white fill to the "shape" (or so it appears to me from looking at the file.) However, I will also note that because of the way it is designed that way - it makes the file large and I am having trouble trying to work with it as I get a lot of "pausing" - MTC not responding, etc. I think that it might work better to do as Crazy_Mr_Zing suggested and use the grid as one texture or to draw the actual "grid" as one big square then the lines and no fills. White fills are not really needed in this instance since you would be printing to white paper.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,646
    @MeFlick, I must need more coffee... I can't find it! lol
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    @MeFlick @SandyMcC I knew I was an idiot but that takes the biscuit. I've spent all day going round ever decreasing circles and it was all right anyway!! "print shape outlines" was not checked - completely missed that option. All's well that ends well!!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    edited December 2015
    SandyMcC said:

@MeFlick, I must need more coffee... I can't find it! lol

hmmmm - that's weird because I know you know how to find and see a MTC file on the forum! :confounded: It shows on my screen just like it should with the little white piece of paper in her first post. I'm adding screen shot to show mine - wonder why it wouldn't be showing on yours?
    Go Vols!
    @MeFlick right at the top of the page - scroll up it's immediately under my chat. I will now continue with what I was doing and get it set up properly with the months and years ready to be added to be basic frame work. I will also create an outer border for cutting purposes so that it can be printed and cut for adhering to other projects. Also I might get my calendars finished before the New Year!! I'm have a thick day - very thick - hope tomorrow the mouse will be back on the wheel!!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    No, @Di-lite It was Sandy not me who couldn't see it for some odd reason. I just did a screen capture so that she could see what I was seeing. :smile:
    I understand having thick days - have my share of them lately it seems! :wink: Thik its probably too much on our minds and too little time to do it all in! Least that is the excuse I am using! :smiley:
    Go Vols!
    edited December 2015
    @Di-lite do you want to cut each month out as a whole or each day

I think each day is going to cut out as the file is
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    edited December 2015
    I'm like a dog with a bone an I think i got it now

edited December 2015
    @Di-lite
    I did this in serif
    each month consists of a black filled rectangle at the back
    a open grid shape made of white filled squares (rectangle for banner) in middle
    and in front the numbers

stack and align

then export to SVG

Once imported to MTC you will still need to do a Texture Snapshot for each month so the internal line are not cut

How that work for you ????
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing I'm chuckling - your grid looks great you for got the days of the week. I'm up and running this morning so no probs. I just didn't tick a box in MTC and it was all I needed to do as I was on the right track!. Silly me.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    edited December 2015
    I was just using some characters as and example
    I think I must be confused on what the end result you want
    if you plan to share this you made need to add a note to enable print the shape outline
    are you planing to add a cutting line around each month for each month and close the eye on the other layers when you cut
    as at present the cut preview of your file looks like this
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing My intention is to provide calendars for purely printing - a cut line will be added should they want to print and cut along with a template for a backdrop. the file is intended to provide the pages for them to copy into their own projects and choose how to use them. It wasn't intended to be a calendar as is but a work in progress!. I'm afraid we are not on the same page and my explanations are obviously very poor. If I had wanted the numbers / months cut out I would have used a different font as the holes will fall out of eight six and zero etc. Will try to put better instructions in the final file - just have a few more tweaks to finish up. I also need to create a word document or two to create print formats for myself so that I can make up my calendars. I will probably use a slicer to cut them out! I find the print and cut restrictions on the cameo irritating.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    edited December 2015
    Seem I'm have just a much trouble explaining what I meant. well that's nothing knew for me . will wait to see the final Draft
    I enjoyed dabbling with this even though I was Off Piste
    I'm thinking our old friend open paths in svg file is lurking
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!