We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

help with communication to cutter [Resolved]

ReneeFReneeF Member Posts: 26
edited September 2015 in Resolved Issues
Hi, I am using a black cat lynx . Everything in mtc seems to work including showing the cutting menu,but when I click
on cut nothing happens with the cutter. I tested the cutter itself and it will do a test cut. I am using an old computer that still has windows xp. I can't figure out what the problem is. any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Renee
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,222
    Which cutter plugin are you using? If using the KNK plugin, make sure your baud rate matches your cutter's and in the software. Also make sure you have the correct USB port selected. I would use the KNK plugin over the BC one if you can because it gives you more options like using knife point.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • ReneeFReneeF Member Posts: 26
    I tried both the BC and also the KNK plugin and matched the baud rate to the cutter. It seems there is only one usb port com 3 that shows and is automatically selected. I agree with you on KNk plugin. I always used this one on my other computer. Sadly , I was installing windows 10 on my main computer and power was interrupted during installation. So this computer is in the repair process. Thanks for your suggestions. Renee
    Any other suggestions?
    Usually USB port com 3 is reserved on your computer and that would not be the correct port as I recall. Also, if you are switching computers - make sure you are using a correct USB port. I had problems when I switched a few years back and found that I had USB 2 and 3 ports on the new computer. For some reason it wouldn't work with the USB 3 port - once I switched it to the USB 2 port, I got it working.
    Go Vols!
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly do you mean where you actually plug the USB cord in to the computer? Or a different USB cord ? Or selecting it in make the cut in the cutting menu ? I feel like I should be able to select a different port in the cutting menu in make the cut but it doesn't let me scroll up or down to change anything
    Thanks so much for your suggestions and help ! Renee
    do you think this is a driver issue? Is there a place to download new drivers other then in make the cut because that uses windows explorer Which I believe is not supported on my computer anymore
    I am talking about the actual physical ports on your computer that you plug your cord into. Some computers can have both USB 2 and USB 3 ports on them. My BC would not work with the cords I had in a USB 3 port (even though it should) but did work when it was plugged into a USB 2 port.

Do you have multiple USB ports on your computer to plug into? (Most do.) If so, do you have anything else plugged into your computer via a USB port? (Printer(s) for example.) If so, you can go to your control panel and see what USB ports are in use. If not, and you only have your cutter plugged in, it sounds like it may not be recognizing it for some reason (discussed further below).

Second, I am not sure I understand your statement
    ReneeF said:

. . . I always used this one on my other computer. Sadly , I was installing windows 10 on my main computer and power was interrupted during installation. So this computer is in the repair process. . . .

Are you saying you had MTC on another computer that you used to use with your BC Lynx, that you tried to install Windows 10 on that computer, power was interrupted when doing that and that computer is now in for repair and you are trying to install MTC on a different computer to work with your Lynx. Does this computer already have Windows 10 on it? You should still be able to download the drivers and install as needed to a Windows 10 computer. Others have successfully installed on a Windows 10 computer.

Also, to further clarify - are you using a straight USB Cord, or are you using the serial cable cord with a USB converter? I ask because many do that for better communication with the earlier BC machines.

You might also try using the same USB cord to plug in another device (like a printer) and see if the computer will recognize that device and USB port. Also, do you hear the computer "ding" when you plug in the USB Cord to the computer port? If that doesn't work, then I would also try using a different USB Cord and see if that works. Sometimes USB cords can go bad. Further, the USB ports on the computer or the cutter can also go bad or become lose over time (rare but does occur, more often bad on a computer then on a cutter) as well so something else to look at

When you say I tested the cutter its self and it will do a test cut - I am assuming that you mean that you used the "test cut" button on the cutter its self? Further, since you say that MTC shows the cutter listed but when you hit cut nothing happens that you have the software installed correctly or it wouldn't get to that point. The test cut button on the cutter doesn't interact with the software and the computer at all - its just communicating with its self. As a result, I would suggest that there is a failure somewhere in the "hookup" of the cutter and its ability to communicate with the software. Which leads me to believe that you have a wrong USB port plugged into on the computer, or possibly a bad cable, or something in the "setup". Especially since your computer is not showing you but one USB port.

Also one other thought - just to make sure - you do have MTC fully installed and registered on this new computer - its not in "trial mode" is it? If in "trial mode" - it will not let you actually cut.

Go Vols!
    First of all thank you ! you're very thorough with your answers.
    I'm going to try the different ports yes it has two different ports And also a different cord and you got me thinking about maybe I do have a trial make the cut Is there an obvious indication that it is a trial ? This is an old computer with Windows XP that I put MTC on. a long time ago. As a backup just in case
    I never had a reason to use it until now
    Thanks again! I'm not sure if I'll have time to Look at it tonight I just want you to know how I appreciate all your help! Renee
    You're welcome - just check back in and let us know once you have had a chance to work with it again. Check the version of MTC that you have on that computer and update it to the latest if its not 4.6.2 (and you don't need to worry about also cutting to a Cricut machine from it.) You can find that and see if it is registered to you under the help menu I believe.

Forgot to also mention that from within MTC you should be able to send a "test" to the cutter to see if it will communicate with it - try that too if you haven't already.
    Go Vols!
    The Problem was the driver for the Lynx was never on this computer. I installed cd and everything works. I guess I overlooked the easiest fix. Renee
    Good to hear. Happy cutting.
    Go Vols!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!