We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Print and cut circle outline and not the picture detail [Resolved]

Janine22Janine22 Member Posts: 9
edited September 2015 in Resolved Issues
Hi All,
I am extremely new to the MTC and Zing machine. I have bought the machine to cut vinyl for custom balloons and I am really happy with the results I am getting.

Now I have ventured into cupcake toppers. I have a photoshop file that I use which has the cupcake circle template and I load a picture and print onto icing sheets. I have been cutting these manually up until now.

To print and cut, with MTC and Zing, is there something I need to do to the file to tell the cutter to cut 'just a circle around the picture'? Currently it wants to cut into the detail of the picture which is not what I want. Is that something to do with the layers of the file?

Would it be easier to create the file in MTC?

I would appreciate any help that you can give me. Many thanks.
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,663
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho
  • Janine22Janine22 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you so much HappyCrafter. I'm not near my cutter at the moment but the minute I am I will be trying this and I am sure it will solve it. Thanks again.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,536
    @Janine22 Hi I would be Great if you would share you custom balloon technique sounds very interesting

I would suggest editing you photoshop image so any white areas that you want to cut out are set transparent (eg make the background transparent) and save a a PNG file
    Pixel traceing png file using alpha seems so much easier to me
    I found these videos helpful
    https://vimeo.com/31968655
    https://vimeo.com/31974725
    https://vimeo.com/31981536
    https://vimeo.com/31982767
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,566
    By the way, @Janine22, don't forget that there is a sanitation component to printing and cutting icing sheets. You need a dedicated printer, that only has ever had edible ink put through it. Extremely important. And you also need a dedicated cutting mat and blade holder/blade. If you used the mat, blade holder and/or blade for anything else, it could be contaminated with bits of vinyl, paper, or whatever.
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,871
    Once you have your design in Make The Cut, Select it and use Texture Snapshot (Ctrl+1). If you look at Outlines only, you will see only cutting lines around your design. It is now ready to print and cut.
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. I have spent a whole day watching tutorials, reading the manual, playing and learning. (thanks for the links Happycrafter and CrazyZing)

I managed to create the correct file and get the cut lines around the toppers and print out. (Yes thanks Gabe, I do have a dedicated printer with edible ink and blade-great advice).

When I printed the sheet though I didn't get the registration marks to enable me to line up the cutter. Should I see the registration marks on the file? Do I need to do something to make them appear?

Thanks again for all your help, this is a truly wonderful forum and once I skip over this little hurdle I'll enjoy the next few days/weeks exploring all the discussions on here to inspire and educate me.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,222
    Janine22 said:

. . .
    When I printed the sheet though I didn't get the registration marks to enable me to line up the cutter. Should I see the registration marks on the file? Do I need to do something to make them appear? . . .

Yes, you need to tell it to print the registration marks. I am thinking off the top of my head (which can be dangerous) but I believe that it is under File--"print options. you need to make sure that you select the correct registration marks based upon the cutter being used.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    Hi again everyone,
    I seem to have hit a snag.
    I have:
    created the file with cut lines around the circle of my picture - fantastic
    printed out the file complete with registration marks
    set up the cutter and aligning the laser to the 3 registration marks

but when it cuts, the circle cuts off about 3mm to the left and 2mm down.

I have checked the blade, it seems to be inserted correctly. I have gone through the printing and cutting process about 4 times now with the same result.

Can someone give me a clue as to what I am doing wrong?

Is there a calibration step that I have missed when setting up my blade?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Janine
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,584
    Yes... you need to read Chapter 9 which goes through how to calibrate the location of the laser with the tip of your blade. Post if you have any questions or issues about the calibration.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    A big thank-you to SandyMcC and everyone else on this post who gave me advice. I have successfully printed and cut my cupcake toppers and they were big a hit at the party. I can see that these will be something that I produce over and over again. It was well worth the angst I experienced as I think I learned so much about my cutter and the Make the Cut software.

A thousand thanks again.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,222
    Glad they were able to help you get everything printed and cut correctly and that they were a big hit at the party. Yes, sometimes as we are learning new things like this, we have period of great angst, but in the end, as you noted, that is often when we learn the most about the cutter and the software AND more importantly, helps make it "stick" in our heads! :wink:
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,566
    Would love to see a picture. I feel invested now. :lol:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!