We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC freezing when designing on the mat [Resolved]

ManxmomManxmom Member Posts: 107
edited August 2015 in Resolved Issues
I am making some words and MTC keeps freezing then coming up with a box saying it's encountering an error but can't click on the box. I only got 6 1" x 3" words on the mat, welded them and it froze. I have to save every 4-5 words incase it freezes and i lose everything. I haven't used MTC for a while now but now i need these words for projects it's very annoying. Any ideas why this is happening?
Post edited by SBryanW on
Love my Zing :)

Comments

• ManxmomManxmom Member Posts: 107
    Just tried again, this time 3 words welded and program shut down with same box error. It seems to be getting worse.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,381
    @Manxmom - crashing when using a font is indicative of a corrupted font. Try using one of the standard fonts supplied by Windows or your operating system if its a Mac, and see if you get the same results. Report back.
    Thank you @Liz_A I will do that... :)
    @Liz_A I tried and it does seem like it's the fonts. It's a pain because now I don't know which ones it is until I use them and I have quite a few. I was using DaFont.com. Is there another site to use that is better? Thank you.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,381
    @Manxmom - no. The problem with fonts is that anyone can create them with any number of different software packages, and put them up on a font website. It does not make them a good font. To be guaranteed a tested, well designed font, only purchase fonts from reputable font websites, like myfonts.com. But that gets costly and takes the fun out of it. So you take your chances. Use your Windows Font folder to find the ones you installed recently or gave you grief and uninstall them.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,577
    @Manxmom, I was really pleased when Andy introduced the ability to load a font ONLY into MTC, instead of having to install it into Windows. It meant I could put non-system fonts (i.e. downloaded fonts) in a folder that Windows would not see. I can install those fonts into MTC, or I can just tell MTC to use a font for a particular project, without doing an install of the font!

So that means you can do several things. 1) you can create a master folder, and inside that you can create category folders. Like "Script fonts", "Monogram fonts", "Handwriting fonts", "Single line fonts", etc. 2) If you have a problem with a font, you will know where it is on your system and you can easily remove it and look for a similar font to try in future projects. 3) You can make print outs of the fonts, by the folder they are in. In other words, if you have 14 monogram fonts, you can make a print out of them using any of several font viewing programs, save the printout as a PDF and then you can easily see what a font looks like before you use it. This is a bit harder to do if you have 2,000 fonts in one giant folder. :)
    Thankyou @Liz_A and @Gabe. When I first used MTC I was frustrated that i was unable to use/access my installed fonts and that's the only reason i downloaded some. I have a mac but am trying to convert all my files over to windows on my tablet, so far so good, just haven't tried to cut anything yet. I will print out your instructions and see how i go.
    This has been resolved-thankyou for all your help :)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!