We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cricut Explorer No Longer Cuts MTC Files [Resolved]

djbuttsdjbutts Member Posts: 56
edited May 2015 in Resolved Issues
I know this machine is no longer supported but I'm hoping someone in the MTC community has the answer.

The machine was working and cutting MTC files. I cut out several files from Cricut cartridges and then attempted to cut out an MTC file. The printer head went to the right side of the mat (the MTC image was on the right side) and would not cut. I attempted to reinstall the software, but it still would not cut. Firmware says 2.34.

I'm contemplating attempting to do a Cricut reset.

I'd appreciate suggestions.
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• scrappingmom2007scrappingmom2007 Member Posts: 1,433
    Do you mean the cricut expression? What version of MTC are you using?
    Pazzles Vue and Silhouette portrait owner.
  • djbuttsdjbutts Member Posts: 56
    Yes. I am using version 4.1 (MTC)
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,222
    Shut down everything completely and restart the computer and then plug the machine back into your computer. Make sure that it is showing that it is connected with the USB port when you turn it back on. Sometimes it can "lose" the port it is connected to, especially if you have plugged in the cutter and then unplugged it and maybe plugged it back into a different USB port.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • kmmhugkmmhug Member Posts: 890
    If you were using the cricut craft room close that out as well.
    Loving my Cougar, Cameo and new Pazzle Vue!
    I'd already done that. It still still not cut MTC files.
    Thanks
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,871
    Unplug your cables and plug them in again. In the cutting window, you may need to check or uncheck the box that says Use Serial Communication. Set on extreme speed. Try a different cable if all else fails. Then try a different USB port on the computer. Either of those can go bad. Use a cable and port that work with another device to check.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,222
    djbutts said:

I'd already done that. It still still not cut MTC files.
    Thanks

I'm not sure what you are referencing when you say "I'd already done that" since I had made several suggestions and then kmmhug made one too. However, I did want to note that I said "shut down" the computer and then restart it. Make sure that you did a complete shutdown - turning it off completely not just doing a quick "restart". Shutting it down versus a simple restart are two different things. Wait until the computer is fully back up then restart MTC and then plug in the cutter and turn it on, listen for the "ding" that should occur when your computer acknowledges that you have something plugged into the USB port.

Besides trying different cables and ports on your computer its self, also try something else with a USB port and cable and see if your computer recognizes them being plugged in, if not - as Julie noted the port can go bad. If your computer recognizes another USB device - but still not the cutter - the USB port on the cutter its self may have gone out or gotten dislodged slightly. I have seen reports where that has occurred with that cutter as well.

You might also want to edit your original post to state it is an Expression machine rather than the Explore since MTC has never worked with the Explore. We wouldn't want to confuse people. ;)
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,343
    @djbutts

- Try the Cricut reset, its quick and easy enough to do, and may very well fix the issue with no further ado.

- If the reset fails to fix the issue, download and reinstall the FTDI driver from here, for the operating system you have:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm - install with ALL programs closed, and you may also need to disable your AV depending on what it is. Shut down the computer and then power it on. When it has completely restarted, plug the Cricut back in again. Does the computer do the little song and dance of recognition when the device is connected? For example, mine makes a binging sound. If yes, then start MTC and try to cut again.

Post back if the issue isn't resolved, after doing all the above, and as instructed by @MeFlick.
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I tried them. After I did a reset, the machine now cuts Cricut images correctly, but it cuts MTC images only on the extreme right side of the paper. Sometimes the carriage goes too far to the right and stalls. I have a copy of version 4.1, reinstalled it , but it has not fixed the problem (I do have the plug in).

Liz you suggest I install a new driver. My OS is Windows 8.1. I went to the website and it appears that this driver is no longer supported. Did I misunderstand?
    "MeFlick." Thanks for the correction. It is a Cricut Expression.
    Hip. Hip. Hooray!!!!! I am back in business. Not sure exactly what did it, but I purchased a new cable from Fry's AND then also noticed that the mat was in the "landscape" mode. I first accessed version 4.0 (the image was cut perfectly) and then version 4.1. It appears to be functioning again. I was beginning to get withdrawal pains.

Thanks much to all who offered suggestions. The support is awesome. I am sure that I WILL HAVE TO replace this machine in the near future. I've had it for about four years and it has been used a lot. I read somewhere that generally, this brand only lasts for about 2 - 3 years.

Which ever machine I purchase in the future, it has to be compatible with MTC. As I've said before, the program is awesome.

Thanks again.

djb
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,871
    So glad to learn that you were able to get your cutter working again. Thanks for letting us know.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,343
    "Liz you suggest I install a new driver. My OS is Windows 8.1. I went to the website and it appears that this driver is no longer supported. Did I misunderstand?"

@djbutts - what driver are you referring to? The FTDI driver is supported by all current versions of Windows, including Win 8.1. This is the link specifically to the driver install file:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM v2.12.00 WHQL Certified.exe

Glad to hear that you got things working again.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!