We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Substantial vinyl cutting problem [Resolved]

grummangrumman Member Posts: 11
edited May 2015 in Resolved Issues
When I opted for the Zing Air, one of the selling points for me was the understanding that I could cut smaller vinyl cutoffs along the left most side using the two left most drive rollers. I would have preferred rollers that had adjustable width as they look to be pretty close together, but was willing to give it a go.

I put into place a small piece of vinyl that was wide enough to engage the two rollers, and my small cutting work was to be cut right in between those two drive rollers. The problem is, the vinyl is only really engaged tightly under the right most roller and is loose under the left roller. As such, the vinyl does not track straight and of course fails to cut properly.

It would appear to me that the entire upper feed roller bar is perhaps a bit too flexible and when both sides are pulled down, the middle roller is not as tight ? The only possible conclusion I can see is that it can not really ever work at least until the outer rollers get some hours of flex in them.

This has me a little bummed out. Great machine... all metal and not plastic junk, but I dont see how this can be adjusted to work. Any advise ??
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,581
    It shouldn't need adjustment. The pinch rollers are extremely tight and should feed the same.

One thing that cause this situation to appear to happen is if the vinyl is at a very slight angle when starting the cut. The more vinyl that feeds the more crooked it becomes, even though it looked straight at the start. If you read Section 10.03, you'll see a recommendation to feed about half of the needed length of vinyl into the Zing and then run it forward and backwards to make sure the vinyl is absolutely straight in the cutter. Then back it up to where you want to set the origin. At this point, leave the cutting window and go back in and set the origin (there's a bug that can mess up the cut if you set the origin after moving the vinyl a long ways in the origin window). Now the cut should proceed evenly. If not, then start a support ticket with KNK USA: http://knkusa.com/support-ticket-request/
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • grummangrumman Member Posts: 11
    >>>>The pinch rollers are extremely tight and should feed the same.

But therein lies the problem.... With pinch rollers tightened down, You can physically tug on the left side of the vinyl and see that it is not pinched at all under that mid wheel. Only the very right wheel has a worthy grip.
    Are you saying that with BOTH levers in the up position, you can rotate the vinyl?
    Sandy McCauley
    Yep, tight under the right, loose under the left. Only way to cut anything small is on a mat.
    You need to contact KNK USA then. They reopen Monday at 8:30 am. Their number is 800-268-3672 or you can start a support ticket using the link I posted above.
    Sandy McCauley
    To better illustrate, if I cut two 1" wide strips, then put one under the right roller, and one under the roller just to its left, clamping the pinch rollers tight on both sides only allows the right strip to be tight. The left one slides out without ANY restriction.

If I put two strips under the left wheel, then it clamps tight enough to reflect same tension under right roller.

Mechanically, I don't see this as an easy fix.
    Mine doesn't work that way... both of those pinch wheels on the right side are equally tight. That's why it's really important to contact KNK right away. Your Zing Air will be immediately replaced if there is a defect of this kind reported within the first 21 days of receiving.
    Sandy McCauley
  • KimKim Member Posts: 2,488
    I'm not familiar with your machine, but it sounds as if you are trying to cut the vinyl without the mat, which is possible, but if cutting such a small piece, have you tried putting the vinyl on a cutting mat and then cutting?
    Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/ Tigger the Black Cat Cougar 24" - the cat with attitudeTM As Yet Un-named Silhouette Cameo Hot Stuff the Foil Master
    Well, submitted a ticket and was told to attach my strips to a 15" wide strip in order to grab the two outer wheels. This does not help me at all.... I have narrow strips to use up and bought the machine because it said it could do it.

And while SandyMcC's seems to be working correctly, and it is clear that this is exactly the intention of the middle drive roller, mine will not work and KNK says there is no fix for this.

Sucks to be me I guess. I have to decide if I should just cut my losses, sell this thing for what I can get for it, then search for a different machine....... Does anyone know if the ZIng Max machines have adjustable rollers ? Maybe I should have bought one of those ?
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,379
    @grumman Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the zing air. Did you also call knk, maybe they misunderstood your issue in the trouble ticket? It sounds like the lever on the left is not clamping down enough. Maybe they can talk you into taking the levers apart, lubricating then, possibly sanding the plastic insert down and then putting them back together. Sandy did put out a video on this. My zing had issues with one of the pinch wheels levers that caused it not to engage and to freeze up. I tried tightening it which only helped for a while. Then I took it apart. Then I sanded the plastic part. Finally I lubricated them with wd40. That finally did the trick. If your levers do not engage properly, it is no wonder why your zing does cut the vinyl correctly. I do use a mat when I cut small pieces of vinyl, but I have a zing and not a zing air. I think I would also use a mat if I had the zing air cause I do not want to damage the plastic strip on the bottom (I am clumsy).
  • SawdustSawdust Member Posts: 306
    Does the engaging lever "feel the same" when you put all the levers in tightening position? I had an issue with the tensioning spring on one of mine.
    I took the Short Bus to school because they told me it was "Faster".
  • ChadatKNKChadatKNK Member Posts: 416
    Hi @grumman ,

Would you mind giving me a call at 800-268-3672. If there's an issue with your machine, we'll need to see about getting that taken care of for you! If calling in isn't a great option, if you can provide me with your ticket number, I'll contact you through there!

Talk soon.
    Vice President - Accugraphic Sales, Inc. Need support for your KNK product? contact us here: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    I felt I should update this thread with where I am at on this issue. I did get to talk to Chad and explained the problem. We both came to a conclusion of sorts, that this issue may or may not exist from machine to machine, but clearly does on mine. Over time, with some use on the machine, this may change as some of the tension in the upper rollers is relieved from use. We will see !

It was very clear that Chad was willing to do whatever it would take to solve the problem... That rare thing called "customer service" is alive and well at KNK !

As we discussed the machines ability to cut narrow strips of vinyl, Chad mentioned that the real reason for the addition of the middle wheel was to be able to catch and grasp 12" mat, and the "concept" of being able to cut narrow vinyl without the mat became possible. It's even possible that they tested the fact with a machine they had at the time.

The bottom line is, some may or may not be able to do it. The design of the machine is not such that it operates like other conventional vinyl cutters I am used to using, but rather intended to be 100% when it comes to mat use, and also 100% for full width vinyl cutting without a mat.

Before I talked to Chad, I had pretty much already concluded I was not going to send this machine back just for this issue, because it is a VERY WELL BUILT machine, and regards the things it was really designed for it is excellent !

The vinyl I want to cut up consists of long strips between 3" and 5" wide and often many feet in length. Most of what I would cut out of it though is well under 4 foot long, so with that in mind, Chad suggested that I just use a custom mat, 48" long when I want to cut that. Works for me !

I've cut more things on this machine now and really, really like it.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,563
    @grumman, I am so glad to hear that you and your Zing have come to an understanding. While the Zing is not really designed for heavy "industrial" use, as a "hobby" cutter it is top notch. True, some of the cutters that arrive from the factory may not perform all functions at 100%, but that is true for pretty much all manufacturing. The factory wants everything to be identical and operate at a high quality standard, but there will be anomalies, where a few machines don't quite hit all the high notes. As you have found, Chad and KNK, are a quality combination when it comes to customer service. They want all of their customers to be happy with their machines and tools and will go to great lengths to provide satisfaction.

So, can we mark this issue as "resolved"?
    Resolved by using an alternate method..... long mat.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!