We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Speed and force settings for maxx air [Resolved]

geekinesisgeekinesis Member Posts: 45
edited April 2015 in Resolved Issues
Hi there
I am using make the cut on both a mac and a PC with a maxx air.
I am using the plugin to set the force and speed but sometimes it doesn't seem to work. Either the speed is set properly and the force doesn't set or visa versa.
When not set properly the force or speed just remains at the last speed set on the machine itself
I think if I use the test communication before cutting it improves things but I just want to check I am not missing a step.
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,381
    @geekinesis - are you connecting via bluetooth or a USB cable? If you are using BT, test with a USB cable. If you are using a USB cable, test with a different one, or different USB port. Check that the USB is properly plugged in to the cutter. And I assume when you say " Either the speed is set properly and the force doesn't set or visa versa. " that you mean that the settings you chose in the plugin in the software are not the same as what is displayed on the LED on the cutter??
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,600
    If sending the force and speed from MTC, the speed will always be off by 5. That's just a bug in the plugin. But otherwise, it should work. I want you to verify this again. Make sure the control panel says something totally different from what you plan to use. Send your cut and note what it's using.

Also, when you turn off the MA and turn it back on, the V and F will revert to whatever you had it previously set... not what you sent from MTC.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • geekinesisgeekinesis Member Posts: 45
    Hi
    Yes I am using USB . And yes the settings I choose in the plugin don't always show on the machine LCD.
    I will test with another cable to see if I makes a difference. I am choosing extremes of speed and force so I can both see if the settings on the LCD chance to match the plugin settings and visually see if it's working
    I was aware of the bug so have allowed for that.

I'll let you know what happens

Other than that I am happy with the machine etc And sandy helped me with a couple of other questions which were resolved so thanks for your quick responses.
    hi there
    So I followed liz's suggestion and changed to a shorter usb (the one I was using was 3 meters) and it seems to have fixed the problem. I am assuming the longer cable garbled the first few instructions so the machine wasnt setting properly.
    I can probably get a better quality longer cable (otherwise I will trip over the shorter one eventually)

thanks sandy and liz

carl
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,600
    Definitely buy a high quality cable. We've had customers experience random cutting issues (wacky cuts) when using really long USB cables.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    @geekinesis - I think that cutters descended from early generations of scanners - those devices were the most persnickety devices when I first starting using them (using SCSI connections)...even when scanners went to USB, they could still be picky, LOL! We used to preach, keep the cables as short as possible, and buy good quality. Glad you got it sorted out.
    Yes there are some pretty bad usb cables out there as well. Ive even had dud cables supplied with equipment. How hard is it to make a cable...
    @geekinesis - had to make a network patch cable (that worked) to get my designation way back in the day. I couldn't do one now to save my life, LOL! Too finicky for me. I am sure machines do that work, but its all about the quality (or lack thereof) products that go into the cable. And we all know where most of that stuff is made. You might be better off going to a small local computer supply store and asking them to make a good quality one for you. At least there may be some pride in workmanship. I get my network cables locally, they are a custom made to size.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!