We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

More Architectural PCS Videos (Wishlist Item?)

I would like to see PCS videos building simple architectural structures from the ground up. Nothing totally elaborate, but like a guide to knowing when to turn something 90 degrees to get a certain look, when I should add something to the same layer or a different layer, which layer to start first, etc. I saw the house that Susan made and it is really nice, but I have more questions. I need more exposure to see what is really happening and to know when I should do whatever I need to do while creating.

For instance, I’ve seen some houses that face forward when the card is open. Will I always have to shift the house parts 90 degrees to get that solid wall on the sides or can I just fold at any time? How do we build a porch onto the front of the house or a balcony on the side of the house?

I know that this will be easy once I’ve seen it done a few times, but right now I keep getting blurred images in my head. I can make popup cards manually, but I really want to get used to making them in PCS.

I guess I’m trying to find a “way of thinking” so I can build upon it. For instance, I know I will want a closed side to an object, not just an opening, what should I do before I do this? Should I turn it 90 degrees? Not a question for anyone in particular, but questions I want to have in my head while I’m thinking of designing a popup card. My interest right now is to find a few homes online and try to make them into popup cards. I’ve been looking at a few with many different faces. Love, love, love it, but I have to figure out my thoughts on how I am going to create the different looks.

Hopefully I haven’t rambled too much. If I confused anyone, just ask me to clarify (I might even be able to do that).

Just a wish list item.
Gina S (MTC Gallery ID: 17449)
Etsy | Mugs For U

Comments

• AnointedHandsAnointedHands Member Posts: 805

...For instance, I know I will want a closed side to an object, not just an opening

@tellabling When you create an object, if you put a side parallel to the folds, it won't lay flat unless you can make the side that covers the opening move into place when the pop-up opens. Popups fold forward/backwards so if you have a section opposite that I don't see how it will fold flat. Now if you don't want it to fold flat, you can enclose the openings on the side. I think that's what you are saying.

Althea
    P.S. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
  • SusanBluerobotSusanBluerobot Member Posts: 1,185
    OK just uploading a simple face on house that i have been working on for a card making video (I know it might not answer all the questions that you asked but it might be a start for you all .)
    PCS 016 simple architectural house
    Bye for now, Susan [email protected] | www.susanbluerobot.com I am an affiliate for Popup Card Studio™. If you are considering purchasing Popup Card Studio, please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate for Make the Cut™. If you are considering purchasing Make the cut , please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate of Scrap Factory™. if you are considering purchasing Scrap Factory , please use this link and support my blog!
  • GinaSGinaS Member Posts: 983
    Thank you ladies. I think I figured it out. I studied some of my 3D projects and some photos I downloaded of homes. All I have to do now is get to work on the "thoughts".
    Etsy | Mugs For U

OK just uploading a simple face on house that i have been working on for a card making video (I know it might not answer all the questions that you asked but it might be a start for you all .)
    PCS 016 simple architectural house

@SusanBluerobot:

The video was a big help. To see another view is good for me. Thanks for the tips too. I had seen you use the split feature before, but I didn't put much thought in the feature until you showed how to use it again.

Also, I realized that I would have to have my card set up differently in order to get those closed sides of the house I'm after.

Thanks again for doing this video so fast. You're super cool! :-)
    Etsy | Mugs For U
  • AnointedHandsAnointedHands Member Posts: 805
    @tellabling Glad I was wrong and you got it to work

Althea
    Hi @AnointedHands

You were actually right for another part of my thoughts, but I knew I could close off the sides because I've seen cards like that (even in Susan's video with the side view of a house the side was closed). It can be done, but it depends on how it's sitting in the card (at least in my head I think that's the case).

Looking back at Susan's video on the first house, I am thinking that I must turn the house or object on a 90 degree angle so I can anchor it. The anchor would serve as the "closed" part I would want.
    Etsy | Mugs For U
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!