We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

iPad apps to use MTC or PCS

Does anyone have any suggestions for an app that I can use either MTC or PCS on my iPad? Thanks!

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,212
    This has been discussed a number of times before in the past so you might want to do a search of the forum. There is no actual app that will let you run either program on the IPAD its self. However, there are apps that will let you take control of your computer with a program on it (usually you have to be on the same network with the actual computer) and run that program on your iPad screen. You would still have to be at your computer to actually cut.

I haven't done this in a long time. I tried it when it was first discussed but it was too slow and draggy for me. I would much rather just go get my laptop my software is on and work directly on it. Faster, easier and bigger screen.

I forget what the apps were people have talked about. Seems like one may have been "splash" something - like "splash top" or "splash screen maybe."
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,806
    @Meflick and @Laura Fremont

A couple of small corrections to Melanie's info. I use Splashtop (the name of the app) on my iPad. It's free and using it on the same network is free. I can use it OFF network, but there is a $1.99/mo or $17.99/yr cost for using it off network. It works great and I use it when I'm upstairs in bed and want to check a file on my PC or when I'm on the road for an extended time (and I pay for the service then).

*Theoretically*, you could be across the country and actually cut something if a) your computer is on, b) your cutter is on, c) your cutter is hooked up (via cable or bluetooth) to your computer and d) your mat is loaded, blade adjusted, etc. I just can't imagine anyone actually wanting to work like that! It might be desirable if you have someone at home wanting to cut a file and you hold the key to some file from afar, but I wouldn't bet that's a common situation.

As far as direct tablet cutting, the Surface Pro seems to do the job. @annointedhands Althea is very happy with that solution.

My technology wishlist always has something on it. The Surface Pro will also connect to my knitting machines, so that's a big consideration for me but I'm not ready to jump ship yet.

Lynne
    Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly
    In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
  • cleversomedaycleversomeday Member Posts: 1,183
    edited January 2014
    On a semi-related note, I just put up a video on using the InkPad (free) app on an iPad to make open path sentiments. I show using Silh Studio but is applicable to MTC as well. It is a vector drawing app so you ca design files on an app designed for the iPad environment when you are away from your computer and save as svg.
    Thanks Lynne @hwgang- now that you remind me - I think I remember you or someone else sharing you could use "Splashtop" OFF network away from home at one time. I think that came out after the one I tried and I have never tried it. I just don't see the need or have the desire to do this right now when I am away from home on my Ipad. Much prefer my bigger laptop screen for creating/crafting.

Now, the techie in me REALLY considered asking for the surface pro for Christmas. I sorta mentioned it - but didn't really say I want that. However, since I had the ORIGINAL IPad 1 - they got me an IPad Air for Christmas. Considered taking it back for the Surface Pro but didn't want to hurt their feelings! ;) ) I didn't really care about upgrading my Ipad yet,as it still did all I needed it to do BUT they thought it was time (especially since it was no longer able to update to the latest IOS.) I do like the smaller weight and the better res screen. Forget that I can use it to take pictures now that I have one with a camera!

However - My birthday is just a few short months away! :)) So I'm still "thinking" about what I "Need" ;;)
    Go Vols!
  • hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,806
    I understand, Melanie @meflick. I bought an iPad 3 used, but only a month old, and with the extended Applecare warranty, among other goodies. I don't "need" an upgrade, either, but I try to find the sweet spot to sell and upgrade with everything and I'm thinking I should do it shortly, while it still has the warranty. Probably should have done it before the Air came out, but I don't ever like buying any new-to-the-market model.

Mine has 4G, which I only used for one month since now my phone functions as the wi-fi hot spot and it doesn't cost me any extra. If I make or receive one call a week, that's about all the work out my phone gets otherwise. It's a smart phone, but I don't enjoy working on the screen and it's much bigger than most.

I've been very happy with my iPad and Android phone. Now to figure out my next move. Thinkin' with ya! ;)
    Lynne
    Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly
    In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
    edited January 2014
    Yes, both my original and my Air have 3G. We travel a lot with children's sports and stuff so I wanted to be able to use it when I needed to. I don't turn it on unless we are traveling and I want to access and have no wifi. I like it for those reasons. One of the other reasons I didn't want to upgrade - knew would still want that and that meant more $! We are still on an older Verizon plan with UNLIMITED data on our phones so one reason we haven't changed that to make phones work as hotspot - they would make us move to a new plan with limited data! I don't use my phone much for data - only texts mostly from my kids and DH! But my kids and probably DH do use lots of data!

That surface tablet though would let me do MTC and PSC on it and still be small and light weight! I tend to like to buy the "new to the market" tech toys! But I don't splurge on much else so it all evens out! :D
    Post edited by MeFlick on
    Go Vols!
  • Laura FremontLaura Fremont Member Posts: 211
    Thanks everyone for the info. I have an older iPad and it doesn't have internet access unless I'm at home and using my wifi. I'm going to look into Splashtop and ink pad app.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!