We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Look what I found at the Dollar Tree Today!

bluejeancreationsbluejeancreations Member Posts: 596
edited March 2012 in Shares
I have been keeping my eyes open for new ideas for things to use for crafting that aren't necessarily made for that, and hopefully less money.

I found these dough scrapers, and they are somewhat but not too much flexible. I think they will be perfect for vinyl application.

I am wondering if they are made of silicone and would also work for the hot glue drop sheet, I bought an extra one to experiment with on this, will let you know.

Obviously they were in the kitchen appliance area.
:)]

Comments

• RainydaysunshineRainydaysunshine Member Posts: 1,408
    I have a few of those as well, for burnishing vinyl... I love them, I have a few that are white, and I seem to always be losing them, they blend in with the white backing. The red ones dont get lost... (You can scrape the betty crocker off, if you dont want it there, I did, after I noticed some of the white would come off on my vinyl and transfer) I love using stuff that isnt made for vinyl...
    ~~Dawn~~ April Fools Day countdown banner Follow Me on Pinterest
  • susan_ID2293susan_ID2293 Member Posts: 2,919
    edited March 2012
    I bought some of those also. I glued felt to one, so I can use it on the finished vinyl without fear of scratching it.
    @rainydaysunshine thanks for the warning about the name coming off.
    @bluejean. they are not made of silicone, so not sure if the hot glue idea would work. I did buy some of the silicone baking cups, 6 for $1 to put under my glue gun nozzle when I work. I haven't seen any flat silicone products there yet, but will keep my eyes open.
  • RainydaysunshineRainydaysunshine Member Posts: 1,408
    @susan_ID2293 Great idea with the felt, Im going to have to do that...
    ~~Dawn~~ April Fools Day countdown banner Follow Me on Pinterest
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,931
    @bluejean. they are not made of silicone, so not sure if the hot glue idea would work. I did buy some of the silicone baking cups, 6 for $1 to put under my glue gun nozzle when I work. I haven't seen any flat silicone products there yet, but will keep my eyes open.
    I use a ceramic spoonrest for my hot glue gun. It was getting chipped up and I found a new one I liked for the kitchen so I repurposed it. (Of course my newer one has a chip in it now. 8-| )
    Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas
  • daffeydildaffeydil Member Posts: 3,007
    I use a tray/cutting board (?) that I got at DT. Works great and I have room to keep extra glue sticks handy.
    Sharon
    @Sharon - what material was it?
  • paupau04paupau04 Member Posts: 4,902
    Great minds think alike, got those to. I think they are silicone
    Who's sorry now?...Hell hath no fury as a crafter scorned!!! http://sitstayscrap.blogspot.com/
  • lynnscrapslynnscraps Member Posts: 712
    edited March 2012
    Isn't it fun to find objects to use not intended for our crafts? Tonight we ate at a buffet restaurant that had a chocolate tower where you used the 6" wod skewers to pick up the fruit, cake etc to cover with chocolate. yum, yum, yum.... Oh yes, where was I? I asked our waiter for a few extra and he brought me a handful. I love using them for dipping in glue to use for attaching small items! Better than toothpicks.

Thanks bluejeancreations, for posting these ideas. Ladies, let's hear of some more unrelated craft finds! This is fun.
    @susan_ID2293, the tray is plastic -like a cutting board type. I've used it for a long time and it hasn't melted from the glue gun.
    Here is a pic of it.
    Sharon
    Thanks for posting the photo. I have seen those in the past. Now to see if they still have them.
  • Nancy_Cre8iveCutzNancy_Cre8iveCutz Member Posts: 1,545
    The hardware store is a great place to find stuff too. Tack cloth is great for cleaning up glitter. I also sometimes use that mesh tape (is it drywall tape?) as an embellishment, it can easily be recolored with inks to match your projects.
    Nancy image image   image   image
  • bluejeancreationsbluejeancreations Member Posts: 596
    I used the drywall tape for my vinyl transfer material on my first vinyl project. It is in another thread.

http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/23108/my-first-vinyl-cut#Item_3

It was my first attempt using real vinyl, I did some chalkboard contact paper before Christmas, but this was my first attempt at vinyl. I had problems with the type I planned to use for the lettering so right now I am happy with just the shape on my van.

I like the little foam brushes found in hardware stores as well as craft stores. They are great for applying glue. If washed out before the glue dries they are reusable. Little make-up sponges, cotton balls, or tiny pom poms used with tweezers are good for chalking edges of cards.
    Every store I go into I'm looking at things with crafts in mind! That might explain why I have such strange stuff around here.
    When my kids where young I once dug some strapping material out of trash can in front of a store to make a halloween costume for my youngest son. My kids tried to act like they didn't know me but hey, he won first place in the costume competition! And they finally started acknowledging I was actually their real mother and not some stranger tagging along with them.
    Sharon
  • bluejeancreationsbluejeancreations Member Posts: 596
    Anybody use the tops of tin cans for anything. I have the neatest can opener, it takes the whole lid including the lip edge off the top of a can so there are no rough edges.

We got a hand one from the dollar tree and later last summer I saw an electric one at walmart for $25.00. I couldn't justify that price and a week later I found the exact same one at a yard sale for only $5 bucks. :D
  • Express4FunExpress4Fun Member Posts: 523
    Anybody use the tops of tin cans for anything. I have the neatest can opener, it takes the whole lid including the lip edge off the top of a can so there are no rough edges.

We got a hand one from the dollar tree and later last summer I saw an electric one at walmart for $25.00. I couldn't justify that price and a week later I found the exact same one at a yard sale for only $5 bucks. :D
    You got a "safety" can opener at $Tree?! OMG....

I use the cans for fun gifts. I open the can, run the rinsed can thru my dishwasher, and put fun treasures inside (in a zip-loc if it's food), and E6000 that lid right back on. That way, when the person gets the can, they HAVE to open it to figure out what's inside...it's a hoot to watch them. Oh, and the SOUP cans (with the pop-top lids) are like GOLD around this house...just remember to NOT use the pop-top, but rather open that with the safety can opener.
  • PetraPetra Member Posts: 286
    edited March 2012
    What a great idea! I hate those ring pull type cans and _always_ use my safety can opener on them so I don't slice my fingers off with the sharp edges when putting something else in the recycling bin. But I have never thought of decorating and resealing cans. My mind is boggling with ideas. And we can get E6000 here in the UK! Result!
  • paupau04paupau04 Member Posts: 4,902

I was using this to take the lids off my cat food-with pop tops- with the intentions of relabeling them and packaging catnip mice to sell at the green market.
    Who's sorry now?...Hell hath no fury as a crafter scorned!!! http://sitstayscrap.blogspot.com/
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!