We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Empty pen for score lines

kerryfavekerryfave Member Posts: 7
edited July 2011 in Tips and Tricks
Has anyone had success using an empty pen to create score lines?
Would like to know before emptying a full pen. thankyou

Comments

• KrisH66KrisH66 Member Posts: 26
    I have seen a video or two where people have taken an old dull blade and turned backwards and sticking a spellbinders embossing pad on the mat. I just clicked over and found it for you. Here's the link for the one that is from Joy from Joy's Life and Everyday Cricut:
  • nomemnomem Member Posts: 3,106
    That's a good idea! Much better than just changing blade depth, pressure, etc.
  • susan_ID2293susan_ID2293 Member Posts: 2,919
    I have heard that doing this can damage the blade holder. The part that holds the blade in is designed to hold the non sharp end of the blade, and that is a different shape than even a dull blade.
  • KrisH66KrisH66 Member Posts: 26
    I tried it a couple of times but didn't have the little embossing mat thingy. It did o.k. but not as well as in the video. I didn't and still haven't had any problem w/my blade housing but like I said I only tried it a couple of times. So I don't rely know what would happen if it was used backwards a lot. It could screw things up or Provo Craft just doesn't want to loose sales for their embossing system since they like to hold their customers hostage w/all their dedicated products. both possibilities seem equally likely to me. I did notice that Joy tested it out on her baby bug instead of risking her expression though lol.

Has anyone else tried it? Did you have good results or bad problems????
  • iggyloveriggylover Moderator Posts: 11,513
    The problem would be the bearings in the blade holder aren't made to have even a dull blade moving about in there... you may not see immediate problems, but the damage would be cumulative... I like the idea of an empty pen. :)
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke Jeanette in Orange County, CA Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,941
    Why not just get an embossing stylus? That way you'd have a proper ball end. You could get one with a wooden handle and cut it to fit. Then just wrap it with some craft foam to fit the blade housing holder.
    Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas
  • SuzanSuzan Member Posts: 820
    Here is the best way to make score lines for myself. Create a layer for just your score lines. When you cut that layer, lower your force. I always cut them first, because if I forget to move my force back higher that is better than cutting the score lines thru. If I am cutting at a force of 60 I score usually around a 10.
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,941
    I've heard of people doing that - just lowering the pressure so it makes a much lighter cut. I'd prefer not to cut the paper fibers at all.
    Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!