We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Question about glitter paper. . . .

jerzgirljerzgirl Member Posts: 765
edited January 2011 in General
Is it ok, or safe to cut glitter paper on you machine? Hubby said NO and I was wondering what you all thought, or maybe experienced. . . . pls, let me know.
TIA
Lori ***************** New owner of a Silhouette Cameo

Comments

• debby8460debby8460 Member Posts: 234
    I have cut it before but its makes a mess, and it duals your blade. I have an E. Have to use the deep blade.
    Enjoy life to the fullest, for tomorrow comes to fast. The road to success is always under construction. Cuts with the Expression.
  • Angel135612Angel135612 Member Posts: 4,246
    You can use glitter paper, but find the kind that is sealed, so you don't get a lot of it flaking off. Glitter is not good for machines if it gets into the inner workings, and we all know how glitter goes EVERYWHERE... so just need to be careful with it.
    Diane in Colorado Springs Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/ http://www.mycraftythoughts.blogspot.com/
  • mommahobbitmommahobbit Member Posts: 3,068
    you can but it can be a pain in the butt
  • pigtailpatpigtailpat Member Posts: 1,517
    Lori -

there is only 1 glitter paper that does not shed that I know of and that is the best creations glitter paper, it is sold by bosskut.com, and also other places. It is really the best looking paper I have ever seen, and cuts really well on the gazelle. Using this paper on the expression, you will have to probably ramp up the pressure/force, and slow down on speed [.mtc 3.2 now cuts like crazy - speed will probably need to be slower for this heavier paper]. I just finally cut some for my x-mas cards - really wonderful paper. I hoard it like a maniac. I was going to use some of my red for x-mas, but I decided against it and will be using it for valentine's....I am truly in love with this paper. During BK promotions, they have the paper for the lowest price, and every promotion BK does, I pick more up. This glitter paper, and worldwin's petallics, these are my favorite papers.........

hope this helps...

Pat
    Cuts with Gazelle, PNC with silhouette.
  • ConiCutsConiCuts Member Posts: 1,673
    I know that Dawn has said NO to cutting with any type of glitter paper with the cougar. I would imagine it would be the same with any cutter machine. Just as Angel and Debby said too.
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,663
    edited January 2011
    At Christmas I made a bunch of tags for a swap and cut some silver glitter paper from HL. It cut so beautifully, that I wished all paper cut that nicely. It was great. No mess at all. I cut it on an E.
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho
  • jerzgirljerzgirl Member Posts: 765
    HappyCrafter, what type or brand paper did you use? And it didn't flake off and get into your machine. . . .thats what I am worried about. Not sure if it is worth the risk. . .humm?
  • ConiCutsConiCuts Member Posts: 1,673
    If you do decide to cut it, turn it glitter side down or to the mat. May help somewhat.
  • Beanie_ID62Beanie_ID62 Member Posts: 3,820
    I cut glitter paper all the time never a problem but I do use an old blade because it will destroy your blade
    image Follow Me on Pinterest
  • ThymeThyme Member Posts: 2,519
    If you decide you must cut glitter paper make sure that you do it on an oversized mat so that hopefully any bits of glitter stay on the mat and then be extra carefull when removing the mat to make sure that no glitter falls off. You do not want to allow any to get in the works of your machine
  • jtrranchesjtrranches Member Posts: 2,631
    I too was wondering about the glitter paper as the store has some beautiful ones and I wanted to try it. I guess I will try some in a very small piece.
    Terina Reynolds Always remember, "It's a good life if you don't weaken!" image September 11th, 2001 Anniversary Countdown Banner
  • Nancy_Cre8iveCutzNancy_Cre8iveCutz Member Posts: 1,545
    This is all good info to know, I tried to cut a piece of glitter paper yesterday with lousy results, think I'll stay away from it in the future.
    Nancy image image   image   image
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,663
    Lori,
    I'm sorry, I don't know what the brand was. It was not in the paper aisle tho. It was with some other specialty papers. I believe it was $1.99 per sheet. It was nice and crisp.
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho
    Ladies - I assure you - with the best creations glitter paper it is perfectly safe to cut. I have done it on my gazzy. It does not shed. Generally, most of the time, the paper is $2.50 or $2.49 for one 12 x 12 sheet. I know it is pricey, so that is why I wait for BK promotions to get it on sale. It's another reason why I hoard the paper like nuts. However, this paper cuts so wonderfully, at least in my gazzy I know it does [maybe for the next project with that paper I will drag out the expression and report results cutting that paper on an expression]. I cut for my x-mas cards. a eyelet type pattern [I did an eyelet pattern and turned it upside to form trees with ribbon for my x-mas card]. The eyelet pattern had lots of little circles in it and this cut really well on the paper with no shedding. Unfortunately though, this best creations paper has to be ordered from someplace on the internet. I have never seen it in Michael's or AC Moore [not sure about hobby lobby - as there are no HL stores where I live]. The glitter paper sold in Michael's & AC Moore does in fact shed, and I would not cut anything other than the best creations glitter paper.
    Pat, I was in Michael's yesterday and saw glitter paper. . .rubbed my finger across it and had some on my finger, (was up front like you are talking about HappyCrafter. . .I think)so hubby says its not worth it. I am wondering if you could post the website for the paper you are talking about, would like to take a look.
  • KimATCKimATC Member Posts: 785
    edited January 2011
    I used Die Cuts With a View brand glitter paper, and it works fine. No flakes, etc, but you do have to do multi cut with it. I usually do it three times. HTH!
    Lori -

This is BK's site for ordering the paper - it is basically the same price there as everywhere else. Sometimes BK does promotions and sales, and when they do, they then have the lowest price on the paper. It is generally the same price everywhere, I have looked, but, insofar as I can determine, I haven't seen any sales on this paper anywhere else for a lower price. You might get a better deal in terms of shipping from another source - but if you get it from a different source - make sure you are in fact getting the best creations paper. Here's is BK's page for it: http://www.bosskut.com/glitterpaper.aspx [there are other places selling the best creations paper - BK is not the only one selling it].

let me tell you, this paper is tremendous! I fell deeply in love with it. You will too.
    Thank you, I looked around and need to order soon, spent all my money yesterday at M's and "cant spend anymore". . . . .lol. Also, signed up for newletter, guessing that will tell me about promotions and sales. Thanks again, pigtailpat.
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,871
    The Craftwell people were advertising that the eCraft could cut American Crafts glitter cardstock very well. Every time I tried to use it, not only did it ruin my blade, but after a single pass, the eCraft would not cut anything. I think the metalic flakes affected the magnets in the machine somewhere. I did cut a couple of pieces on my Gazelle with no problem - it is BEAUTIFUL paper. BUT I have serious caustions about using any glitter paper from which the glitter can flake off. I agree with Dawn. I think you can short circuit the inner workings of your motor is glitter flakes get in there, and it is just not worth losing a cutter. DCWV glitter paper has the glitter entirely encased, so I have not seen any flaking with it. But that paper is not any near as beautiful as the American Crafts glitter paper that I purchased from Michaels.
    Thanks Julie, I haven't had it happen yet, but I know it is a possibility.
    I will admit to cutting glitter card on my Cougar, but I am very careful, and if I wreck my machine I am able to just pull another from stock!
    HUMMM? really worry some, I am guessing it may not be worth it. I just got my E for Christmas and don't want any problems. . . .I know how hard it was for my family to get it for me. . . (hard times).
    Thanks, everyone for all your input, this is very interesting
    One alternative is to cut your design, then spray with adhesive and sprinkle glitter on it. Its not the same dense effect you get with some glitter card but it does look nice
  • JaneDough99_TanyaJaneDough99_Tanya Member Posts: 1,650
    edited January 2011
    I can't remember the brand but I got some cheap glitter paper at walmart (thinking it's Colorbok) it almost feels rubbery honestly, it's thicker and it cut beautifully without a mess at all. I used it on this card.
    (The bear file is from Treasure Box Designs) image
    Post edited by JaneDough99_Tanya on
    aww, love the bear.
    i have done what thyme said and just sprayed and sprinkled on glitter . . . .but do love the glitter paper
  • logansmamalogansmama Member Posts: 16
    This may be a little late but I too have had luck with the glitter paper sold at hobby lobby. The brand is Doodlebug Designs. It cut beautifully with just one pass. I think I used a depth of 5. I didn't have any problems with flaking at all. In fact the snowflakes I cut with this paper where the best cuts I have made so far. I can see how this might dull your blade faster than cutting cardstock or paper but the results are just too pretty to worry about replacement blades.
  • AlyssaLeanneAlyssaLeanne Member Posts: 727
    I may be late as well but I cut DCWV glitter paper frequently with my E without any issue. It is the sealed kind so nothing comes off. One time though I did cut some cheap horrible stuff from Target for a friend's wedding because she insisted on it. It was horrible! It got glitter everywhere, I don't recommend using any paper like that.
  • debzdebz Member Posts: 3,310
    I've also used the DCWV glitter paper without a problem. I sure don't want to take a chance of getting loose glitter in the machine. I get enough gunk in there with normal stuff (though I do spray it out with a air-can here and there. Figure it can't hurt)
    Deb http://krapikreate.wordpress.com/ Cutting with 24" KNK Maxx, Silhouette SD, Expression, Cameo, and Zing Team KNK Designer
  • karen3912karen3912 Banned Posts: 3,182
    Remember the shiny bazzel card stock we all loved when it first came out? It looked so harmless and chewed up every blade known. I still have lots of it. :-S
  • elliott37elliott37 Member Posts: 1,056
    I've used the Best Creations glitter paper with no problems. I first ordered it from BossKut, but then found that the scrap book store near me carries it - all of the available colors and, even better, for less than $2.00 per sheet.

Since the Gazelle is a BossKut machine, if this paper could cause problems for a cutter it seems that they (BK) wouldn't offer the paper for sale. Hope I'm not making a bad assumption from that.
    In NC cutting with a Cameo, 18" BC Cougar, & Pazzles Vue
  • NevaPNevaP Member Posts: 11
    I use an Expression, have used the same one for 3 years, I love glitter paper & have used ir it from day one! Any brand, any kind. I do used canned air to clean the blade housing when done & also the machine gets a good blow out. I use max pressure & save one mat for glitter, it really gets into the mat, but I clean & reglue it when needed.
  • SarahbellumSarahbellum Member Posts: 386
    edited January 2011
    Hope someone sees this and can help me. I have a KNK cutter so I know I have the force to cut but I'm not sure about one thing. I found some of the Best Creations red glitter card stock. For the ones that have cut this do you put the paper face up or face down for this brand of paper?
    Thank you in advance
    Sarah

PS-ellott37-I am in NC and I paid 2.99 per sheet today at a scrapbook store here in winston. You found a great deal for 1.99!
    xquesmee -

when I cut the best creations paper, I did mine with the glitter side face up with no problems on the gazzy.

Pat
  • SarahbellumSarahbellum Member Posts: 386
    Thanks so much Pat.....and thank you for the link to the BK site...I will be watching for a sale! Will try to cut my pattern today.

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!