We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Crashing

CharoCharo Member Posts: 743
Today attempting to weld two simple shapes causes MTC to close completely and suddenly.  Now I can't do anything.  I have read about this critical October 2018 update but Microsoft keeps showing a warning to wait until they say it is ready before downloading.   Don't know if that is the problem or not but am very discouraged.  
Member 30818

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,472
    I find it gets very frustrating.  If you are using windows I would suggest you save and then weld - Seems unnecessary but it can make a difference.  If the shapes are imported make sure you use flatten paths as well.  @Crazy_Mr_Zing is the one who can probably help - also @Liz_A is knowledgeable on computers.  Hope you get it sorted.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,472
    By the way drop it here and we can see if it does it for us as well.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,362
    edited February 2
    @Charo - there is absolutely no reason to not do updates from 2018. There were a couple of bad releases in 2018, which Microsoft clawed back, and then fixed. Any patches from then that you apply now, should not have any adverse affects, in a normal situation. I test updates at work all the time, I install them into our real world environment and then test to see what happens. I work hard to try to make things happen, usually I am very disappointed (in that there is nothing adverse in the update).

Not applying patches or fixes after a reasonable time after a release, is leaving you vulnerable to any new malware or malicious code that has been discovered. I monitor my own personal updates at home, and apply after I have researched to make sure nothing important to me gets broken. If I ever came across a bad update, I would alert everyone I know, including a post on this list.

So, yes weld will do this every once in awhile. Typically there is a logical reason why, and it may have something to do with the nature of the shapes on the mat. As Diana said, SAVE before applying a weld. In my experience it was an oddity in how some nodes crisscrossed over each other that was a problem. Also if you have a shape that does not have a fill colour, this will cause you grief when trying to weld. Some wonky fonts will cause weld to crash. Those are the ones I know about.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,591
    Any time something quirky happens AND you can recreate it, then post the file with the exact two shapes that are crashing the program. People here like Diana, Liz, Crazy Mr Zing and me enjoy checking these things out to see if we can then advise you of the cause and the solution. Also, I keep both my Windows 10 PC and my Macbook up to date and I've not run into any issues with welding in MTC. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 743
    Well folks.  I just don't know why this new darn computer is behaving so badly.  I shut down, restarted, restored factory defaults just because I didn't know what else to do and have been working along with no crashes for a whole hour.  I didn't know about that silly thing of no fill color in one shape could cause problems when welding but that was the case with the attempt that caused the crash.

After an hour I attempted a PNC and the second registration would not let me line it up with the laser!  That's a new one.  Shut down again, restarted, and it worked.  I am beside myself.

I have auto updates on all the time and this computer was just purchased in January.  So all the recent updates are there.  I checked and do not see the October 2018 installed but I assumed it was there since Windows says updates are current.  So I should go to Windows and download it manually?  I guess if it is already installed it won't matter....
    Member 30818
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,541
    If windows is downloading or installing new update sometimes the can hog the computer resources until they are done

if you go start> settings> update and security
    that sould dipslay if you current up to date or if updates are currently downloading or installing
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    another thought
    are you choosing Shutdown and then powering on the computer again ?

if so try choosing Restart

Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10

Restart Windows reinitialises things from scratch
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing - Shut down means the power goes off, everything is fully shut down (closes ALL processes, completely clears the RAM, and clears the processor cache) - there is nothing going on on that computer, all the lights are out.  You have to press the Power button to be able to use the computer again.

Restart
    is typically used when new programs are installed, or to apply updates just installed, its a quick power off, power on so that components of the update or new program that only load at start up can be activated...it will also determine if a program has installed properly or not. You can use Restart after a program crashes to clear out cache, RAM, etc and basically start fresh again. Windows 10 will however remember some of the state of the computer. Restarts may re-open some programs that were still open when the Restart was initiated. This is my experience with Windows 10 Pro.

Lastly, on some computers, like laptops, you can configure what the power button does when you press it. Maybe that is where the confusion is. That is configured by going to the Control Panel, then Power Settings and choosing Choose what the power button does.

HTH
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,591
    I believe you own the original Zing or Zing Air?  If so, then there's a bug in MTC that can cause the laser to stop during the reg mark setting process. Thus, do NOT assume it's a fault with your computer.  If you have it happen again, watch the video I had to make years ago when this was an issue for a number of Zing owners, including me: http://vimeo.com/42564839

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 743
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing I have the "working hours" part of Windows set so updates don't happen when I am usually working and I get warning now when they want to install.  I used Restart the last time the computer was misbehaving so.  Later on I tried a Shutdown.  Don't remember the results of either one now.  @SandyMcC ;
    thank you for letting me know the second laser point missing is a bug and your memory is amazing...I do have a Zing Air.  The vimeo was interesting.  I have been putting my paper a couple of inches to the left so that my cuts would be on a different portion of the mat.  After watching the vimeo I can see it would be better to just move my cutting images to the left of the paper instead of moving my mat around.  I still think MTC is an amazing program, even with it's hidden bugs.
    Member 30818
    @Liz_A ; only going what I'm reading

"When you click “Shut Down” on your Windows 10 PC, Windows doesn’t fully shut down. It hibernates the kernel, saving its state so it can boot faster. If you’re experiencing computer problems and need to reset that state, you’ll need to restart your PC instead."

https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shutting-down-doesnt-fully-shut-down-windows-10-but-restarting-it-does/

LOL @Crazy_Mr_Zing ; how to Geek is usually pretty accurate, but let's take Microsoft's word for it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/13770/windows-shut-down-sleep-hibernate-your-pc
    if this is a misconception it appears to be held by quite a few  ?
    There a suggestion that holding shift and then selecting shut down is the method of doing a full shut down then power off
    I unsuccessfully tried to search the MS page for this maybe it myth too ?

@Crazy_Mr_Zing - well I haven't heard of that one, so maybe. I do know that different manufacturers will configure the power switch to do different things...ie press it, and it puts the computer into sleep or hibernate mode. Press and hold it for 5-7 seconds and its a power off.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!