We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

How to not get metalic foil on the white background??

hgtaylor87hgtaylor87 Member Posts: 5
Ive tried to do the metalic foiling on laser print but the white background is picking up the foil? I’m not sure what to try to stop this?? Please help

Best Answer

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,359
    @hgtaylor87 ; - This isn't a foiling forum by any stretch, but we do have some members that do foil. So here are the questions: what foil paper are you using; what cardstock are you printing on; and what laser printer are you using? Lastly what lamination process are you using (laminator brand, etc)?
    Also a picture of what you want it to look like, and what results you got.
  • hgtaylor87hgtaylor87 Member Posts: 5
    I’m using glimmer hot foil system, heat activated foil! From hobbycraft! I’ve tried using different weights in card.. just plain white, but still not working!
    It won’t let me post a pic 🙈
    Are there any machines that don’t cost the earth that will do the same? But it needs to be able to foil my designs??
    To add a photo, it needs to be jpg or png, click the Insert an image icon and then click Choose Files.

So I assume you are in the UK, at least that is where Hobbycraft is. Have you followed the instructions as seen in this youtube video?

Are you using the recommended foil? What did your first samples look like.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,541
    Are you use the correct type foil for toner transfer

I think foil used for the hot metal stamps differs from the foil using with the toner transfer method

the foil used for toner transfer method relies on the toner becoming sticky when heated
    where as the foil use with hot metal stamps has a thermal activate adhesive on it

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,223
    edited January 13
    I believe that Crazy_Mr_Zing may be correct.  There are different types of foils.  Some are toner based and some are not, you apply and heat it up so it will adhere where you apply it.

Is what you are using like the Spellbinder's Hot foil system where you heat it with the Spellbinder's heater plate? The Spellbinder's foil does not appear to be toner based.  See this page and its questions and answers regarding the Spellbinder's system and foils: 

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/spe-gls-001.html

"Can you use any brand of heat transfer foil with the Glimmer Hot Foil System?

Unfortunately, no. Other popular foils like ThermoWeb and Minc are toner based and will not work in this system. This machine does not use a toner to adhere the foil."

Also see the Spellbinder's Site here under features where it explains how you would use it.  No where does it say you use with a toner based system:

https://www.spellbinderspaperarts.com/glimmer?sscid=11k3_beqrn

The best recommendation is to find the name brand and check their site to see if it tells you if it is a toner based foil system or not.

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,541
    edited January 13
    I think @ginger may have a similar but different branded machine
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • gingerginger Member Posts: 179
    Yes, @Crazy_Mr_Zing, I have a GoPress and Foil by couture creations.  The glimmer foil won't work with a laser print and laminator or Minc.  The heat and pressure of the laminator causes it to stick everywhere.  It has a heat activated adhesive on it.  Foils used with the Minc do not have any adhesive and rely on the toner to adhere the foil.  
    Cutting with an 18" Cougar
    Hi everyone thanks so much for your reply’s! Yes I’m using a laminator it’s only a cheap one, do you think I should get a more expensive laminator? I’m going to try different foil any suggestions for what I need it for?? Thanks again
    @hgtaylor87 - try getting the right foil for the method you are using. If you see specks of foil on your paper that are not part of the design that was printed, then that is the result of a poor printing result. Then consider a better printer. What is the printer?
  • gingerginger Member Posts: 179
    Also make sure your printer only prints with the black toner.  Color printer use other colors with the black; the foil won't stick as well with other colors.  And print on the best or archival setting.
    Cutting with an 18" Cougar
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!