We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Desperate for help with menu bar in MTC. Win 10, Edge browser. Teeny tiny toolbars!

SherricraftsSherricrafts Member Posts: 159
edited May 17 in Help for Make The Cut
Hi,
I had to get a new laptop...it is an HP Windows 10 with Edge browser. Every program is working fine except MTC.
Can anyone please tell me how to enlarge the toolbars?

They are so tiny and also cut in half horizontally so that I can not even tell the actual size of designs or even enter a size I may want. My curser is larger than the icons so I am unable to click on even one icon at a time.

Ok, I am so hoping someone else has been through this and found out the fix/adjustment. Sorry if I sound desperate LOL but I have a project I wanted to finish today, but it won't be possible until I fix this. :)

Thank you!
Sherri L
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• SherricraftsSherricrafts Member Posts: 159
    Ok, I finally found this topic...took a long look in searches. The working to fix it was posted in March...so I am hoping I have missed the fix download.
     Is it on the forum somewhere?
     Thank you.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    No sorry, @Sherricrafts - there was not a fix for this. You have to play with settings yourself. It's a known issue with older programs not being hi-res icon compatible.
    Oh, no! I was just starting to learn it well :(

Is a fix in the works though?? I posted in your other comment that I have to get a different program. I am hoping that it is only temp though. Is it? I know we all paid for this program, so I am guessing they will fix it?

Thank you Liz!
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 157
    @Sherricrafts - This problem has become a challenge because a lot of MTC users have a high-resolution display. This kind of display has become standard for laptops. However just some has this problem. So, before you give up and jump LOL, let’s try some baby steps.

Your software…

1.       Open your MTC software

2.       Go to Help / Advanced / Reset Interface to Factory Settings

3.       Click in “Yes”

4.       Not necessary but if you want to restart your computer, good

No good news? Let’s going!

Your display settings…

1.       Go to Start / Settings / System / Display

2.       Make sure that you have 100% (Recommended) for the size of text, apps and other items

3.       Choose the resolution which shows “(Recommended)”

4.       In Orientation choose “Landscape”

Nothing yet?

Your Windows…

1.       Go to Start / Settings / Update & security / Advanced options

2.       Select “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows”

3.       Click in the arrow on the top-left corner to go back to the preview page

4.       Click in “Check for updates”

5.       Make a coffee… it will be done when you see the login again

6.       Try your MTC

Obs.: Windows updates are mandatory than automatic now but just to make sure that you have the latest version. So, we can check Windows 10 not guilty!

One more shot!

Okay, it’s not supposed to be the solution but we can try… it’s free and without pain

1.       Go to File Explorer / Local Disk (C:) / Program Files / Make The Cut!

2.       Right click over MTC! application and chose “Properties”

3.       Choose “Compatibility”

4.       Click in “Run compatibility troubleshooter”

5.       If no solution shows up select “Run this program in compatibility mode for:”

6.       Choose “Windows 7”

7.       Click in OK and prey

8.       Now I suggest you restart your computer

If nothing above fixed the problem, don’t panic… don’t jump… let we know so we can keep trying to help you. We appreciate if you give us more information about the problem. If it happens only with MTC software or not for example. Also, if you post some screenshots of your display here it could help us a lot.

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,186
    Try right clicking on the screen - click on Display - a control box for display comes up - look down a little towards the middle and you will see 'change the size of ...'  change to 150% that should make life easier.  I also changed the screen resolution but that might not be necessary.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Hi, I have changed the display setting to every setting available and the resolution as well.
      Curious though, when you say to right click on the screen, which screen are you referring to? In Windows 8 I could right click and bring up a box with the display option but I only get two options now; *select all and print* regardless of what page or program I am in. To change anything I need to go to control panel or computer from start menu. I do miss the right click options and tool bar icons.
    edited May 13
    @Sherricrafts - Right click on the screen means right click in your desktop area, so choose "Display settings".
    Di-lite's Windows 10 is not updated with the latest version, this is because you are having some difficulties to follow her instructions. Also, I’m not sure if your Windows is updated with the latest version either but maybe yes.
    In the latest version of Windows 10 you only have the option to change the scale as shown below.
    Please ignore the "Night light On"... it's because my eyes. Look at "Custom scaling" instead. 

Than...

For me this is like you are taking morphine for toothache. You should go to the dentist instead. My opinion!

Hi, yes, I have tried the custom scaling and the scaling for text apps etc. Everywhere changed except the icons in MTC. lol.

What do you mean by going to the dentist instead? I understand the concept of putting a bandaid on a broken bone...but what else do you believe I should be doing or where should I be going for further assistance? LOL
    edited May 13
    @Sherricrafts - Just overwhelmed!  This workaround will affect your operating system and it can still not solve the problem. That's what I meant. Honestly, I’m not a fan of changing scale.

Well, LOL It did not solve...I was lucky that I was able to get back to original, sometimes it is very difficult. I write everything down.  I was able to adjust scale but it only enlarged it to beyond anything rational LOL
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,348
    What if you get an external screen?
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,883
    edited May 13
    It quite difficult to determine what is current information as MS appears to have made some improvements in regard to this issue

I found these 2 pages the first appears to take the manifest file option a step further

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-fix-apps-that-look-small-on-high-dpi-and-high-resolution-displays/

https://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/how-to-make-everything-bigger-in-windows-10/

The other thought I had would it be worth contacting HP support or posting on a HP support forum ? as it appears the options display in windows display settings seem to vary depending on the manufacturer

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @Crazy Mr Zing :)
    Thank you...I have contacted HP and will speak to someone on Monday. I have tweaked in the registry many times in Windows 8 but this computer is only two days old and I am hesitant to do that. But I am saving your post in my email in case I get brave or desperate enough.

I downloaded a program that works fine and I will give it a chance, if only because they create upgrades and updates continually for their program to match these hi res changes.

Thank you again! I really appreciate your time :)
    Sherri
    @tuicarlos   It works for me - res. 2560x1440 and icons at 150%.   MTC is as is without downgrading to Win XP.   Win 10 updates regularly so I am up to date with the version that it installed on my PC.  Don't understand why I'm not up to date in your book with Win 10.  Can you explain please.  By the way I had all my teeth out so I no long suffer from an abssess.  LOL.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    You are so funny @Di-lite

It was because your screenshot showed an old window of Windows 10. Compare that your window with mime. My last update of Windows 10 Home 64 bit was KB4016871.

About your configuration, if it works for you great. As I said before, the problem exists for some and we're trying to find a solution even if it's a workaround but that works for all. I believe that Windows tied the victim and the MTC pulled the trigger. I mean, Windows is an accomplice because it has shown some difficulty with old icons of 48 x 48 pixels. Now the icons are 256 x 256 pixel but, theoretically, is the program who controls the behavior of its icons and not the Windows. Yes, of course, if we had an update from MTC adjusting the resolution of its icons we could solve this problem. I still don’t know who is more polemic “Mr. But” or “Mr. If”.

Hi-DPI resolution work very well in large displays because it doesn’t need to use scaling. Now if you have a 13.3” laptop and set the resolution to the highest level, everything will be reduced to fit the screen. A little bit sharper but you’ll need a magnifying glass. We must find a proper resolution to the size of our display. This is because I think that some cases could be solved. So, in my opinion, changing scale is the last option.

Please, correct me if I’m wrong… if I bought a 13.3” laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed I expect start using my new laptop without any changes about resolution or scaling. So, regardless the true love for MTC, we need to understand that it’s not about Windows or displays problems but MTC started smoking a pipe. LOL…

edited May 15
    @tuicarlos - when I first got my Hi-res screen the icons were miniscule!  I could not distinguish them they were so tiny even with Win10 (free).  My laptop which I bought a year ago and also has Win10 on it works fine with my icons visible although my screen icons are a little small.  Obviously each has it's own problems. On my PC Win10 has upset my CD/DVD player on both my old computer and my new one!!  It's a real pain as I can no longer record my mp3 to audio or put a data disc in to read.  Chuckling - yet another example of upgrading!! 
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    @ Di-Lite,
    Hi again lol

My computer does not have an option for 2560 x 1440. It is 2560 x 1660, still below the 2000 for second number, but still too high to work. I have tried ALL the settings available and sadly none work. It would be wonderful if someone could take Andy's place and continue on with updates for MTC to keep up with all the tech changes our new computers come with now.

I know one thing...lol, once this computer begins is old enough...in a few years, I will absolutely build my own. No doubt it will be expensive, but to have options to run compatibility modes and create the changes necessary it will be worth it.

Off topic, but I even discovered that although this computer came with 2Terabytes...it only has 118GB on C:Drive!  There is not a simple way to allocate some of the 1.8 T from D drive to C drive either....unless you chance changing the registry. So, suddenly, I only had a little over half of my backed up programs and files installed on my new computer from my old one, and C drive was full! I do love having a D drive absolutely, but there should have been A LOT more room on C drive. There is more to this story, but you get the picture LOL

I will keep hoping that someone will come in and take control of updating MTC for us, but as I understand it, that is not likely. It is such an amazing program and I was just learning it. For now, I will use something different, because I have to.

Thank you again and have a wonderful week!
    Sherri

What if you get an external screen?

Hi, leslie,
    I considered fixing my window 8 computer and using it...but to have it only for mtc is too much hassle. LOL  As for an external screen...the way I use my laptop from room to room would also be a hassle, but it is a good idea :D I have limited space on the desk I use to create and it needs to be in the room when I am cutting with mtc because the cutting machine is blue tooth...short range.  But other times I have my laptop in 2 other rooms and used to use MTC program wherever I was.  Great suggestion though! :D
    Off topic, but I even discovered that although this computer came with 2Terabytes...it only has 118GB on C:Drive!  There is not a simple way to allocate some of the 1.8 T from D drive to C drive either....unless you chance changing the registry. So, suddenly, I only had a little over half of my backed up programs and files installed on my new computer from my old one, and C drive was full! I do love having a D drive absolutely, but there should have been A LOT more room on C drive. There is more to this story, but you get the picture LOL
    what version of windows 10 are you using ? 
    I'm not sure if applies to all versions
    http://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/windows-10-disk-management-0528.html

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Hi, I have Windows 10 Pro version. I needed a computer in a rush and it was able to be here in a couple of days so I went with it. Never liked Win 8.1 so it was an easy decision at the time. I only had a few problems with Windows 7 and preferred it for many things.

Just need to get used to buying new software and other programs to keep current with these new computers :smile: . Thank you for the link, I have decided to go with SCAL 4 for this issue and maybe add a separate OS one day to the 1.8T D:drive LOL
    Not sure dual booting with another operating system would overcome the high res issue display scaling issue as its the hardware that is high res
  • Little_BerryLittle_Berry Member Posts: 5,759
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing ; could this be a refresh rate problem? I know my rate is 59Hz
  • happypolkadotlifehappypolkadotlife Member Posts: 4
    I've been having this issue with my Surface Book that I just got, and FINALLY figured out a super easy fix for it! (running windows 10 with automatic updates)

1. Right click on the Make the cut icon. Select "Properties"
    2. Click on the "compatibility" tab.
    3. In the "settings" section, select the checkbox for "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling preformed by:"
    4. In the drop down menu right below the box, select "system".
    5. Click "apply" then "ok".
    6. start the program to see the changes.

This has been driving me nuts for the past 6 months, and I'm glad to finally have an update to it that doesn't involve going into all the computer IT type stuff to fix it :) I hope this helps someone out there!
    @happypolkadotlife - this is a relatively new update to Windows 10 (part of the Windows Creator update I believe). Microsoft got a lot of complaints about this, they finally did something about it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-talks-high-dpi-scaling-improvements-coming-creators-update
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,028
    Thanks for sharing that happypolkadotlife.  Perhaps it will help others with the same issue.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    Yes, I forgot to say Thanks!! Good info.
    I believe it is a new update. i tried doing everything mentioned above, before, maybe 6 months ago, but it didn't fix it. I don't recall if that drop-down box was there before. Regardless, its fixed and I can use it again! :) I finally spent about 5 hours designing a cutting file for sale last night :)
    Some of the members that had issues with this:

@Sherricrafts
    @lavenderallen89
    @lschuler
    @dyslecix

• PennyPenny Member Posts: 2,033

Thanks for posting this. I have been holding back on getting a new computer because of this problem. Thank you!!

Penny in Albuquerque, NM "Not all those who wander are lost." - R.R. Tolkien
    This is the best news, hopefully it works lol. I have been complaining to them that's for sure LOL.

I am going to wait until I get the notice though before I install the update...I surprise myself with that choice because I am usually a bit of a risk taker *smirk* :)

But this has been such a hassle for so many of my programs that are useless right now, that I am going to be patient and update when offered to me. Hard to wait though!! :smiley:

Thank you for posting this information, I will definitely be keeping close watch for the release for my computer!

Sherri L
    @happypolkadotlife (LOVE your un!)
    Did you have the tiny icons problem? Or something else? Or more? LOL
    It is the same with Inkscape...I ended up purchasing Adobe Illustrator CC. I have wanted it, but not yet, it is so expensive. I often miss the days when you could buy the programs and just update when you wanted to.

Sherri L

happypolkadotlife said:
    I believe it is a new update. i tried doing everything mentioned above, before, maybe 6 months ago, but it didn't fix it. I don't recall if that drop-down box was there before. Regardless, its fixed and I can use it again! :) I finally spent about 5 hours designing a cutting file for sale last night :)

@Sherricrafts - I believe that it is part of the Windows 10 Creators update:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/11/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-creators-update/#mqAxOuDwbkFdDtw2.97

You may already have it.

The only way to know is to follow the instructions, in the link above, and choose the right option in the list. Previously Microsoft had different options that did not solve the problem. If you get automatic updates, this would be part of it, and you would not get any notice that tells that this was fixed. Hope that helps. This was fixed in April.
    @Liz_A
    Shoot... if it is an automatic update created months ago, then I am out of luck :(
    I do not have that drop down in compatibility tab. I do have the *Disable display scaling on High DPI settings*. When I check the box, there are no options, no drop down box(es). 

I will continue to complain...this is a relatively new computer...since May and next time I get one, I think I will build it to the specs I need.

Thank you Liz,

Sherri L
    @Sherricrafts - get Windows to check to see if there are updates.
    edited July 9
    From what I've read and as I understand it this update for PC's was planned for release in Fall which is late September I think ?  beta testing will begin on or around 14 july
    @Liz_A :)

Hi, I checked...and I check a lot lol. I spent hours on the phone with 2 different companies trying to find a solution, after I spent days myself. Thank you Liz :)

@Crazy_Mr_Zing :)
    Wow, I really hope that is the case and that it fixes it for me, that is until these software programs release updates with fixes or patches for those who use Hi Res display that do not have options for scaling to work.

I will be watching for sure!! LOL  Thank you
    Sherri L
    edited July 9
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing - from April 11, 2017:

We are excited to announce that today, the Windows 10 Creators Update has started rolling out to Windows 10 customers around the world as a free update.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/11/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-creators-update/#cE4rML38MJOTzDty.97

And YES, there is another Creators Update planned for the fall of 2017.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-latest-windows-10-fall-creators-update-test-build-adds-dpi-improvements/

Edited - link added

Post edited by Liz_A on
    I've been having this issue with my Surface Book that I just got, and FINALLY figured out a super easy fix for it! (running windows 10 with automatic updates)

3. In the "settings" section, select the checkbox for "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling preformed by:"

This has been driving me nuts for the past 6 months, and I'm glad to finally have an update to it that doesn't involve going into all the computer IT type stuff to fix it :) I hope this helps someone out there!
    Thanks @happypolkadotlife - Looks like that you found the solution and we are all grateful for that. One more time… I love updates and this is because I always expect updates from the “creators”.

Hi happypolkadotlife :) I am so HAPPY for you :smiley: I know how it feels to not be able to use your favorite softwares.

I SO wish my computer offered the drop down box options that you list here...so many people here I see have it. I spent weeks working on this and hours with tech supports, more than one and no go.

I thank you so much for giving this solution to others.
    Hopefully, the next update in the fall will help me. It is for DPI issues but I have not seen my problem listed as yet.

Have a great day!
    Sherri L
    edited July 9
    @Sherricrafts - Again, I’m not sure if your Windows 10 is updated or not. I understand that there is a lot of people who doesn’t like updates because they think that updates can cause conflicts, malfunctions, eats tons of bytes etc. but it’s not true. The goals are compatibility, performance and improvement and in most of these updates the files are replaced. We don’t have a choice... If we want to continue using new software and hardware we need to keep our OS updated. This is because Windows Update now is mandatory.
    When I suggested to you about Windows Update my update version was KB4013429. Now my update version is KB4016871. Please, compare with yours accessing your "Update history". If you can’t get that latest version let us know so we can try to help you on this.

Post edited by tuicarlos on
    These are my latest updates - I purchased this laptop last year (thanksgiving), and have it set to automatically update, and haven't had any issues with updates since then.
    edited July 9
    this is what my compatibility menu looks like.

@Liz_A Thank You guess I misunderstood and or where I was reading was misinformed

Windows updates KB numbers may differ based on wether or not you have 32 bit vs 64 bit and some other factors like version of Windows.
    @Liz_A - Let me explain it better for you. That number is the only reference we have to find an update on "Updates history". I don't know if you've noticed but that date underneath is not the release date but the installation date. So, your comment above makes sense, of course, but It’s irrelevant in this case.

@Sherricrafts - So, if you have at least the same version that I cited earlier (or later) you will have that option cited by @happypolkadotlife in the solution of the problem. I think you were the most affected by this problem and if this suggestion of @happypolkadotlife solve your problem we all will be happy.

edited July 14
    Woo Hoo! OK everyone :) I was finally able to install Creator update and have it work! MTC is working correctly finally! :D

After many hours with tech support in HP....discovered a few things missing on my laptop. Too much to explain and I would not remember all the changes and fixes anyway LOL. I had more problems than I realized but did not want to go through the trouble of replacing my laptop if not necessary.

So...we were able to get it good as new then re-update to Creators version and VOILA! Now both MTC and Inkscape work perfectly :)

I need to thank everyone a huge thank you for all of your advice and help, sincerely from the bottom of my heart a very large thank you and appreciation.

@happypolkadotlife :D My laptop now has the drop down box for the DPI settings. :) I never would have discovered all the problems I was having if not for your post about the Creators update, so I owe you big time!! I can never thank you enough. 

As a bonus, I love many of the new features that Creator brought and have installed a few of them...the extensions. My husband even updated his laptop :) So THANK YOU again so very very much!!

Now...can anyone explain why during this post my *enter* key will not allow me to get the typing curser on the next line? LOL The page will scroll down, but my curser stays at the end of the previous sentence...I can't stop in the middle of the page and start a new paragraph without using the mouse to click in the spot I want.

Anyone here ever have this happen and fixed it? LOL Maybe should be separate post?

Thank you all again so much!

Sherri L
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    @Sherricrafts - thanks for letting us know, yayyyyy! Glad the Creator Update worked well for you. Doing the happy dance for you!

For the browser issue, what browser are you using? The new Windows 10 one Edge or Chrome or other?
    @Liz_A, :)
    Hi, Yes, I have Windows 10 Pro with Edge. Purchased in May. So, yes, it's new, but I did not want to go through setting up a new one. I have a 3 year warrantee but I decided to see if the registry errors and other problems could be fixed.

Once those were repaired we uninstalled the Edge browser and most of my programs...then re-installed them. Then I did the update again and it worked after all that LOL

So...all the trouble and time was way worth it to me for not having to send it in for repair or replacing it, just did some very long tech calls and remote fixing :)

Thank you for your reply! You are always soooo helpful and encouraging, I love that! :D

Sherri L
    edited July 12
    @Sherricrafts - First you can try restarting your computer and waiting a couple of seconds before using your keyboard again. Second, try a complete shut down. Also, you can try blowing with a compressed air can or an airbrush under the keys. Sometimes just a hair can cause this problem.

@tuicarlos

Hi, I will give the cleaning a try :) I can, however, use the arrow keys to get to next line, but habit has me going to the enter key of course lol
    Oh, nvm...the arrow key is now not working on this site LOL So strange, it is only on this site.

I will try your suggestion of cleaning :)