We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cutting file with ragged cuts

I have been cutting this earring file for weeks.  At first, it cut great with very few snags.  This is what I am now getting after approximately 50 pages.  I'm using a Zing with MTC.  

I have:  washed my mat, scrubbed the mat, restickied the mat, used a different mat, changed the red blade, and changed it again, adjusted the force higher, lower and back to my original number, slowed the speed down and speeded it up a little, used one pass and two (two made a bigger mess).

What other information am I forgetting?

Appreciate any help.
Bobbie

Answers

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,584
    It still looks like a chipped blade to me. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,536
    Does look like chipped blade 

Does the blade spin freely 
    Try test cutting a different material

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • bobbieczbobbiecz Member Posts: 507
    I don't think my eyes could see a chipped blade.  I tried cutting a similar file, no horseshoe type cuts, just small wholes across.  The first two pages cut fine, the third started getting choppy on one.  The next page, a few more were choppy.  This was after changing the blade twice.  

How do I spin the blade?  It only barely sticks out.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,536
    maybe one of the bearings in the blade holder is ceasing up ?

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,566
    You might try using a different blade holder.  Some people reported, back when the Zing was a new machine and people were trying to figure it out, that they got better cuts using the blue blade holder and the blue (deep cutting) blade.  Of course, in their experiments, they were only doing shallow cuts with it, using just the tip of the blade, doing the type of cutting you'd use the red blade for.  You just have to compensate for the blade offset, which is different from the red blade.

Also, if you own a magnifying glass (who doesn't, these days?) you can use that to inspect the tip of your red blade.  Look for a tiny chip, aka, the tip of the blade has broken off.  Can happen even with new blade.

Finally, some folks have experimented with non-KNK blade holders and blades.  I believe the most popular is a Roland type blade holder and blades to fit it. You can find them on eBay, but you have to be careful to buy one that fits the blade holder carriage in the Zing.  I used to know the name of the blade holder and the name of the eBay seller.  Perhaps there is someone on the forum who can supply that info for you now.
  • bobbieczbobbiecz Member Posts: 507
    I got the blad to come out as far as it could in the holder and turned it with my fingers.  Sees to turn just fine.

• signgodsigngod Member Posts: 23
    here is what i did with my dirty mat.. because it gets dropped (i've dropped mine a few dozen times.. lol).  take your mat to the self serve car washes where they have the pressure washer. most of the better car places have the clip on the wall for your floor mats but i put my sticky mat on it and just use the rinse... if it washes off the sticky part then just go to the hobby store and buy the spray adhesive and give it a new coat... another thing I have done is just use a baby wipes to clean it.. the last thing I also do is spray it with the spray adhesive and lightly lay a sheet of application tape.. they have it even in clear so you can still see the 1 inch grid.. I learned all this through out the years as I been making signs since 1990...
  • signgodsigngod Member Posts: 23
    but you posted about the cutting problem... yeah I think your cutting blade needs replaced.. the one this I love about my sihloette cameo 2 cutter is you can just go to the hobby lobby, micheals, or some of the jo annes fabrics has the perfect replacement blade for $20. you can see if you can find out if your blade width is and see what the width of the cameo blade is... I also have the graphtech 3000se and it takes that cameo blade.. the graphtech blades cost likr $35 to $50 to reploace so I love that the $20 blade fits both of my cutters