We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

PURCHASED font doesn't work well. any ideas as to why?

Grma24luvsGrma24luvs Member Posts: 270
edited June 7 in Off Topic
@juliefes I purchased Blackpanther font from SilhouetteDesignStore.
and it cuts into itself.  when I contacted them they sent this photo from SilhouetteStudio that they had no problem

it comes with with a less fancy type as well, the B is the only letter that shows a cut in it in this word does anyone know why it's doing this.  she said they couldn't help with outside software programs. 
Thanks

Post edited by Grma24luvs on

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,209
    First, Like many MTC users, Julie is seldom on the MTC forums any longer. So if you want/need help from her, your best bet is going to be to reach out directly to her via email (check her profile page to see if listed there.); via her blog; or via her MTC_Tuts Yahoo group.

Second, it is not quite clear to me but it sounds like you bought the font it’s self at the Silhouette store but are trying to use the font in MTC, is that correct? Since I have never purchased a font from the Silhouette store, is this like a regular font that you INSTALL on your computer and displays in your font lists in all your other programs not just in Studio? If so, then in my opinion, they should learn to support it in other programs but not surprised. It’s also important to understand not all Fonts are created equal.

That all said, this looks like a problem that has regularly popped up with a few fonts in the past. Make sure BoldIs not on, and try to split the letters and then select and “weld” them together and see if it fixes the problem. You can tell the issue seems to be wherever you get “overlap” of a squiggle on the lettering. So, it depends on how she created that to give that visual look that then doesn’t work correctly. Even in her screen capture, the B is messed up.

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Grma24luvsGrma24luvs Member Posts: 270
    @MeFlick Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!  I didn’t know about Julie not on here often.
    OK so this is an Open font, and it does load as a TTF . I can see them in Embird  embroidery software as well. I purchased three fonts from them, 2 that were Open and one TTF.  The other Open font worked like it should. 
    Generally don’t scrapbook any longer, I purchased a Zing from Andy in the beginning and I use it mainly to cut fabric. Still love it and works great. 
    MTC is great to download free fonts and I can edit there an then on to embroidery. I wanted this particular font (or something similar) and I couldn’t find one so I purchased these. Now I found Free font Birmingham and it needs clean up but it’s free so I don’t mind cleaning it up. But I would have thought SilhouetteDesign store would Stan behind their sale. AGAIN thank you for answering, I will try what you suggested. 
    Virginia 

• GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,551
    @Grma24luvs, I am confused.  The image you posted, large and gray, in your first message is different from the black example you say came directly from Silhouette.  Sometimes it is necessary to use node editing to correct issues with fonts.  Like when a line in a font crosses over another line and when you try to cut out the font like that, you experience drop outs.  You would have to edit the nodes of that font to remove the junction where the two lines cross.  That way the cutter wouldn't cut straight across but continue to follow the outer path.

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,209
    @Gabe I believe that the first image is how the font displays in MTC while the second black image is how it displays (correctly) in the Silhouette program. Thus her question as to why, if it displayed correctly in the Silhouette program, why it did not in MTC.  She wouldn’t want to have to mode edit in MTC. A font that should display correctly. Thus she wanted to know why it wasn’t, and if there was a way to fix it. I believe what I suggested should probably fix it for the reasons I noted.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,274
    @Grma24luvs ; - One would think that a font is a font, but as stated by MeFlick, not all fonts are created equal and there are whole lot of amateur font developers out there, way more than there are professional developers, so its easy to get one that is inferior. Just because it works in a particular program, doesn't make it a great choice (in all honesty I am betting that in Silhouette Studio the font is treated as a regular font is in any other program and then its traced to create the cutting path, totally different from how MTC handles fonts. The hypothesis holds true in that you cannot edit any text in MTC once its on the mat, cause its just shapes, while in Silhouette Studio, you can edit text, because its not a shape yet. Hope that makes sense.) MTC follows the path of the characters in the font when you use it. The result may be ugly where the path literally crisscrosses back over another existing path, and where paths cross you get new shapes created. MeFlick has provided the fix:

- try not using Bold attribute
    - add text as Split by Glyphs
    - select all, then weld

This closes up the interior open shapes created by the crisscross.

To see the effect and understand how MTC is interpreting the font paths, select a character like the B, and the choose View Path Detail (CTRL+SHIFT+X)...click the top of the list and using the down arrow key on the keyboard, press and hold to get a little animation of the cut path. Now do the select all, and weld. Do the the View Path Detail again, and you'll see that the path is now fixed. No need for any node editing at all.

HTH
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,551
    @MeFlick & @Liz_A

Thanks for correcting me.  I will leave it to you guys as I am not nearly as experienced as you.

@Grma24luvs, sorry if what I proposed caused any confusion.