We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Needle not cutting thouroughly

toocutemomtoocutemom Member Posts: 55
I just changed my needle on my silhouette SD and it is not fully cutting the design. A lot of jagged edges. I have settings at Speed 8, Force 15, and needle on 5. Cutting HTV. HELP PLEASE.

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,274
    @toocutemom - I hope you mean blade and not actually a needle...I think you are confusing sewing machine terminology with cutting machine terminology.   :)

Are you using Make The Cut!?

Do you have the vinyl on a mat?
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,551
    @Liz_A, I think in some parts of the world, they refer to the cutting blade as a needle.  They mean the same thing, just different terminology.  :)
    LOL @Gabe, all in the translation, I suppose! 
  • toocutemomtoocutemom Member Posts: 55
    edited May 21
    I do mean blade :) and the vinyl is on a mat. I am using MTC

Post edited by toocutemom on
    edited May 21
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give
    @toocutemom - you need to test your material first. Create a rectangle shape the width of your mat - for the Silhouette SD, you can only get about 7" plus a small amount, I forget the exact limitation. It only needs to be 0.2 inches tall. When you have adjusted everything so that you get it cut evenly across the whole width (adjust pressure) without cutting through (adjust blade tip height (which blade type are you using?)) then you should be ready for your project. Make sure the vinyl is well adhered to the mat, make it more sticky or tape down to ensure the vinyl is not separating from the backing which may cause the issue you are having.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,551
    Just to add on to what Liz said, I would suggest that you first try it with a pen tool.  See if it will draw on the vinyl correctly.  If you don't have a pen holder for your machine, you will have to either get one or skip the pen test. 

Also, don't use vinyl that you will want to work with on projects.  You can get vinyl at places like craft stores, sign making shops and online sellers on eBay or Amazon.  It's always good to have some vinyl that doesn't mean anything to you, or that was quite inexpensive, so that you can use it for testing.
    Further to Gabe's suggestion, testing on your project material is still required, unless the vinyl is exactly the same brand, and colour. Some colours of vinyl are thicker, and I am not the only person that has noticed this.
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I really appreciate the help.
    I am still having issues. I have tried all of the suggestions. I’l still have to cut 3 times to get a full smooth cut. I have increased force, using a new mat, and cleaned the blade.
    @toocutemom - are you still using the same material?

What is the source of your file, did you scan it, or create it or buy it?

Have you tried something else, like just putting 3 shapes from Basic Shapes on the mat and cutting that? 
    I am still using thermaflex plus htv. The jagged edges of letters and designs are happening with all the designs even MTC shapes and designs. It’s so weird because it is a brand new blade.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,209
    Even though it is a brand new blade, it can still have gotten chipped or manufactured incorrectly, if you have a magnifying glass, you can look it and see if you see anything wrong with it. Others have scanned it in on their scanner and looked at it. It can also be bad HTV that is not properly adhering to its backing. Plus, I think thermaflex plus is one of the “stretchy” ones and that could be causing some of the issue. Have you tried to cut a different vinyl or card stock? Also, I would try a different blade. Check the blade holder and make sure there is no debris in it keeping the blade from cutting properly.  Finally, you can try less blade exposure, depth and a tad bit more force. Often users have too much blade exposed thinking that will help cut better when in fact, it can make things worse. Don’t try every suggestion at once or you won’t know what the problem is if you get it fixed. Do one thing at a time and check before moving on to another suggestion.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    Try settings of:

Blade 3
    Speed 8
    Force 6 

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,546
    And just to confirm... you have the shiny side down? 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Yes @SandyMcC the shiny side is down. Thank you for checking.