We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

? about Silhouette ratchet blade

TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,931
can it be adjusted without the cap-thingy?   So I have an original silhouette (sd? ? ) that was given to me. There was the blade already installed and another blade - and no thing to adjust the blade with it.  So until I buy a new blade that will have the cap-thingy, if I do need to adjust the blade, can it be done with pliers or do you really need that part?

Side note: what a bummer. Since they sell the whole piece at the store, you don't even just replace blades like a cricut does? What a waste.
Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,297
    @TAMinator - your SD would have a slot to accept the old style of SD cards. I have one, and I can use the ratchet blade holders in it. You don't use the caps.

To change the blade out it is possible, and I know there was a Youtube video showing how. See here:

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,468
    You can get separate blades but it is not worth the hassel.  Get a new one with the adjuster that comes with it and store it -  I found I needed to change the blade about every three months when cutting daily - the replacements are so cheap it's hardly worth worrying about them.  Take a look on the net - you will see that they are about £6 each - not sure what that translate to in dollars but it should be a very similar in price.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,931
    I forgot to come back to this. I still haven't played with the machine to work out the cutting area with MTC. I'm so used to the cricut (even if I don't use it a lot) I'm a bit lost with another machine.

I think you don't understand my question, Liz.  The blades I have are like this, but I don't have the grey ratchet adjusting part to adjust the blade to a different number.

Related image

Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,297
    OK got it! I have or had that at one point. Try taking a tissue and use it to protect the white part and then use a pair of pliers to gently turn it.
  • LaurieBLaurieB Member Posts: 187
    Just buy a replacement blade with an adjuster now, you will need it eventually.  Maybe glue the ratchet adjuster to the machine somewhere.  My cameo (the original one) has a built-in adjuster.

cutting with Cameo
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,931
    edited April 23
    @LaurieB - yeah, I have the SD so it doesn't have that.

@Liz_A ; Thanks. I wasn't sure what moved that maybe I could do it with pliers. It probably won't really need to be adjusted but I figured I should find out how I might be able to do it. When I buy another blade I'm going to get the premium one. I saw it at a better price online that what I could get a regular blade for on sale at JoAnn!