We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

using pen in tool box help

trying to draw with the pen, when i use the 'nodes' tool , when i change the shape from say a straight line to a curve, the other line goes funny and changes my design...how do i stop that. what i have been doing is trying to draw a teeny line and then turn the corner, but that make my design not sharp.

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,247
    @Grma24luvs - why not try this: draw from the Basic Shapes selection, the Rounded Triangle 3. Now zoom in close. Use the Node Mode toolbar, click the shape, then click the Edit Paths tool. Mouse over the rounded triangle...delete one of the straight lines, top or bottom, then on one end delete two lines that make the curved end. You are left with one line and the curved corner. You can extend the line longer by click on it with node edit tool, then choose the node at the end, and then drag it. If it loses the "straightness" factor, right click it and choose convert to line.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,500
    Check you don't have auto simplify enabled
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Grma24luvsGrma24luvs Member Posts: 265
    Crazy_Mr_Zing   thanks but i checked and I don't have it enabled...
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,500
    I think I may have misunderstood the question
    with the node tool selected right click and check auto smoothing is uncheked

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Liz_A trying to follow what you wrote, but I don't seem to have a rounded triangle....have a rounded rectangle....LOL where do you find one?
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing @Liz_A   Drew another item and it seems auto smoothing was On
    Thank you so much, it's been frustrating drawing when it reshapes to some thing different. 
    @Liz_A I did not find a rounded triangle....but looks like my problem is solved.
    again thank you both!
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,543
    @Grma24luvs, There are other ways to do it.  One is to look in the Basic Shapes and pick something that has the lines you want in your project, even if it is different.  Like, say you need a 90 degree angle.  You could then pick a square, because the corners are at 90 degrees.  Place that on your mat and resize it to whatever size you need.  Now go go the node editing menu and select the Eraser tool.  Now you can erase portions of lines.  (Be sure that snapping is turned off, so that you have full control).  Erase the parts you don't need.  After you've got what you need, exit Node mode.

Or you could simply draw a line on the mat for whatever length and direction you need.  After drawing the line, copy and paste it in a different place on the mat.  Use Paste in Place to retain the properties of the first line, such as size.  Once you have the copy on the mat, select it and rotate it, or resize it or whatever you need to do, to create another part of your desired shape.  Once you have it the way you want, select it and move it over so it intersects or touches the first line.  You may need to Zoom in the view to be sure you have it exactly where you want it.  Again, no snapping, so that it will move to exactly where you want it.  Once you know it is in the right place, join the 2 pieces together.  If your desired design is more complex that that, you may be able to use the same idea to add more parts.

Finally, you could always draw what you want in another program, such as Inkscape or Corel, and then import it (as an SVG) into MTC.  Has to be an SVG to retain the vector format, which it has to be in order to cut it (unless it is a print and cut which is also known as a contour cut because it follows the contour or shape of the target on the mat.)

Good luck!