We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Registration Error

FATMANFATMAN Member Posts: 6
edited February 13 in General
 Having been idle for a couple on months due to decorating, I fired up my MTC 4.1 yesterday. As some back history I inherited an XP machine with MTC 4.1 on it, with a cutter and a disc. The hard drive died and after moving to my own PC installing on Win 7, I had no reg No. Long and short, I found it taped to the bottom of the machine.

Anyhow I fired her up to be confronted with the reg/demo screen, entered reg No and presto. Problem is I now have to re enter my reg before every cut. The help screen says it is registered and then next cut it says register MTC. This never happened before.

Confused much. Does anyone have any Ideas please

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,467
    edited February 13
    I've got a program that does that - not MTC tho.  I think it is because it is not installed where it is expected to be.  @Liz_A will put you right when she comes on line I would guess.  I think maybe it is expecting you to copy and paste it in from an email.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,265
    edited February 13
    Thanks for the call-out @Di-lite. OK @FATMAN - you are lucky as the MTC license is not transferable - it would be registered to the person who originally bought it and paid for the license and registration key. Read the EULA once you have opened MTC found under Help => About MTC.

That said, in order to have your ancient Cricut work with the version of MTC you have, you need to successfully install the communication software found on the FTDIchip website, as well as have the Cricut plugin:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

You will need the plugin associated with the cutter, which is not legally available any more either. ProvoCraft sues, and it has sued the developers of MTC twice. The plugin would have existed on the old hard drive in the install folder of MTC. You may be able to retrieve that by removing the old hard drive and then attaching the old hard drive to the computer you are using with a special USB plug that can be purchased from places like Best Buy, Sam's, Costco, Amazon, etc. 

With the cutter disconnected from PC, and MTC closed, install the above FTDI driver. Restart the computer. When fully started, and before opening any programs, connect the cutter. Let the computer do it's recognition and finalizing of the install. Start MTC, put a basic shape on the mat. If you have found the plugin when you go to the Cut project with... menu you will the Cricut listed.

Post back with any progress you make.

It sounds like you may have made more progress than I initially understood. The registration number should start with MTC and be followed with several series of numbers. If you are entering something other than a proper reg number it wouldn't work.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,510
    MTC "phones home" that is it validates your reg code via your internet connection
    Certain criteria may cause the mtc registration status to be revoked 
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files