We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC Suddenly Stopping

CharoCharo Member Posts: 719
My computer died during a Windows critical update (am told this is typical with Windows 10 running on older computers}.  Had to buy a new computer and I did have all my files backed up  But, now when I am working in MTC all of a sudden MTC closes completely all by itself.  And the backup file generated says it is an unrecognized format.  I have put back all the advanced settings as recommended in the MTC manual.   This can happen even when at the start of a project so I don't think the buffer size is the problem.  New computer has Windows 10 Home which I dislike even more than Windows 10 but that is what I have.  Does anyone have ideas what is happening?
Member 30818

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,137
    @Charo - ensure that you have all the updates for your video card, and don't be satisfied with Windows 10 telling you that you have the best driver available, it usually lies. Get the name and model of the video card and then go find the manufacturer's driver and install it. If you need help, we can PM.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,419
    When you say "And the backup file generated says it is an unrecognized format"

Are you meaning that when you restart mtc a message shows saying unrecognised format when you attempt to open the MTC file that was created by the mtc autosave ?

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 719
    @Liz_A I did send you a PM.
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing yes that is exactly what I meant.  So somehow the backup file is corrupted by Windows closing the entire MTC program on me.  

Member 30818
    I don't really understand why but I noticed on a few pc's the windows 10 seems have issue with folder ownership of folders located in the User folders 
    (this is not the right windows terminology have a brain fog at the moment )

try setting the autosave directory to another location  eg make a folder in C named MtcBackup and set autosave to that folder

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,434
    I get that when I am using MTC to design so now I save after each change.  I do not use back up tho. Windows 10 seems to do what it likes regardless of how you think it should work.  It stinks in my opinion.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    I think Windows 10 stinks too.  Windows 10 Home stinks even more.  If Windows hadn't caused my old computer to crash just before my husband had shoulder replacement surgery I might have bit the bullet and switched to a Mac.
    Member 30818
    edited January 11
    I thought a little more is you disable the autosave function completely and the crashing ceases that would suggest it is the autosave that causing the issue
    possible related to the write permission setting of the folder you had chosen for autosave

I not sure if it be because I'm older a sillier or less interested but with every new version of windows it seems to be less user friendly and less ready out of the box

I not sure basic function of Windows Home differ much from the higher versions
    MS seemed to be have huge problems fixing bugs they appear to be patching the patches lately

Charo said:
     I might have bit the bullet and switched to a Mac.

I think this would have been a mistake MTC and MAC is more troublesome
    Though I Suspect eventually with the lack of MTC update newer versions of both MAC and Windows OS's will eventually lead to unresolvable compatibility issues with MTC

Regarding your old computer a clean install can sometimes be the only easy solution to a update gone bad
    MS have complete windows installer download available via the Create Windows 10 installation media tool

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,137
    So sorry for your computer problems...I wish I lived closer to people who were having issues =)
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing surprisingly I did have a Backup folder under Documents where backups went but often said they were in an unrecognizable format when trying to use them in MTC.  The last time this happened (yesterday) the backup file opened successfully.  So I don't know if the problem is fixed; guess I'll have to wait for the next need for a backup file. @Liz_A I wish I lived a lot closer to you too!  You helped me find the video card that needed updating.  I really have having to know all this computer jargon when all I want to do is make paper stuff.  Hah.  Kind of wanting to be spoiled huh.
    Member 30818
    Finger crosses it keeps behaving itself
    It's great when issues are resolved but a little frustrating not know what cause the issue or what happened or what I did to overcome it

I with you these days I rather not need to know all the technicalities of the computer I just want it to work
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing forgot to tell you what I particularly dislike about Windows 10 Home is OneDrive.  I was told by someone it is a cloud storage.  Maybe after the little bit they provide for free but up until then it is just duplicate files on one's hard drive and supposedly so one can access them from a smart phone or whatever.  I don't need any of that.  I did figure out how to uninstall OneDrive but I still had a pile of duplicate folders I had to delete.  
    Anyway.  For a while anyway MTC and Windows are working.  
    Member 30818
    @Charo not a fan of one drive either