We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

jpg files in Silhouette

tbachtbachtbachtbach Member Posts: 5
I have not used my Silhouette for awhile, but needed to make a vinyl stencil for a project. When I opened my jpg file, created in Photoshop CC, the dimensions of the image were way off!! If I re-save the same image in Photoshop CC in png format, the image opens in Silhouette correctly. Not that big of a problem to re-save in png format, but I wonder whether older jpg files will do the same thing. I think I am currently using version 3.8.150

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer. Just hoping I'm not going nuts ...

Ted

Answers

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,150
    Hi Ted and welcome back to the Make the Cut software support forum.  Since you are on the Make the Cut (MTC) software forum, you are not going to find too many people who can help with questions regarding the Silhouette program as most here do not use that program at all, or fairly little.  The best advise I can give you is to find a Silhouette specific forum or Facebook group (if you do Facebook.) Unfortunately, last I knew, Silhouette did not have an official support forum like this one.  However, there was a group, "Silhouette Plus," that was very good.  You can also check Facebook for Silhouette groups if you do Facebook.  Good luck.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,025
    @tbachtbach - I believe that images imported in Silhouette (maybe even more specifically older versions of Silhouette, the newest version is 4.1 something) will open based on their pixel size and maybe resolution size. So if the jpg was 400 x 800 pixels and 300 dpi it would open large compared to 400 x 800 at 72 dpi. PNG is also a different compression algorithm which may also affect size. Ask Silhouette this question but they will want to know the data about the files that you are opening. I don't think how old a file is makes any difference, its the metadata that dictates things.
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 49
    I asked a similar question in a Silhouette beta group a while back. I was told by a respected group member that jpg files open at the correct size in Studio when saved at 72 dpi. My testing verified that is true for jpg files opened in Studio V2, V3, V4.0 and V4.1 (as of V4.1.479). Png files open at the correct size when saved at 300 dpi. That is true for png files opened in Studio V3, V4.0, and V4.1 (as of V4.1.479). Png files do open at (or very near) the correct size in Studio V2. This issue was reported to Silhouette.