We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cricut Maker and Make the Cut Software?

I just found out about the Cricut Maker - apparently it is an awesome machine!  Will my Make the Cut software work with it?  Can I typically just plug it in and go?  It would be a replacement of the cameo silhouette 2.  

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,150
    No, Make the Cut software will not work with the Cricut Maker directly.  That machine only works with their own proprietary online software.  You can export an SVG out of MTC and import into their software now BUT I think they cannot be complicated designs. MTC has not worked with any Cricut machine in years since they sued MTC twice to ensure that it wouldn't.  Also note, MTC has not been updated in several years, which means even with machines/brands it did work with - it may not work fully or at all with newer machines that come out since MTC has not introduced any new cutter plugin in years either.  :(  

If you are looking to buy a new cutter, do your homework throughly and understand the limitations of each and what you want to do before buying.  There are lots of new cutters out there on the market so I would look carefully at all of them before deciding to buy, especially if I was limited to their proprietary online software.  SCAL is keeping up with most of the new cutters on the market, but it will also not work directly with any Cricut product.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • jschmidtjschmidt Member Posts: 75
    MeFlick said:
    No, Make the Cut software will not work with the Cricut Maker directly.  That machine only works with their own proprietary online software.  You can export an SVG out of MTC and import into their software now BUT I think they cannot be complicated designs. MTC has not worked with any Cricut machine in years since they sued MTC twice to ensure that it wouldn't.  Also note, MTC has not been updated in several years, which means even with machines/brands it did work with - it may not work fully or at all with newer machines that come out since MTC has not introduced any new cutter plugin in years either.  :(  

If you are looking to buy a new cutter, do your homework throughly and understand the limitations of each and what you want to do before buying.  There are lots of new cutters out there on the market so I would look carefully at all of them before deciding to buy, especially if I was limited to their proprietary online software.  SCAL is keeping up with most of the new cutters on the market, but it will also not work directly with any Cricut product.
    BOOO.  Thanks for the help.  Will MTC work with the latest Silhouette?  
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,150
    I assume you are talking about the Cameo 3?  MTC will not work with all tools, functions and features like the dual blade carriage because MTC has not been updated to take advantage of the newest tools and features offered in those newer machines.  As I noted, it has not had the cutter plugins updated or added to in years now. Some people have had it work for basic cutting but if I were getting a new machine, I would want to use all of its features and tools it now has available and MTC is not going to be able to do that with many of them.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,025
    @jschmidt - look on the Make The Cut! page to see what is supported, this would be the status quo as at about March of 2015, and that was a very small, minor bug fix, there were no added features or support for cutters of that time.

http://make-the-cut.com/

As MeFlick has iterated a couple of times in a couple of posts, MTC has not been updated since 2015, which is a very long time in software years. You would be much better off looking at purchasing SCAL, it supports all the new versions of cutters EXCEPT Cricut, and Brother. It will import Brother files, but not cut directly to brother and does not cut directly to any Cricut cutter. Do the homework before deciding. Online software sucks.
  • jschmidtjschmidt Member Posts: 75
    Thank you, folks, for responding!  I find myself in the unfortunate situation that the more I dig, the more I need to dig.  All I want to do is cut a dang piece of plastic that is too thick for the silhouette 2, lol. 
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,025
    Maybe check with a local scrapbook store...mine has cutting machines, which can be used if you purchase $10 or more in the store. Which is not a problem for me LOL!
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,418
    jschmidt said:
    Thank you, folks, for responding!  I find myself in the unfortunate situation that the more I dig, the more I need to dig.  All I want to do is cut a dang piece of plastic that is too thick for the silhouette 2, lol. 
    The plastic is also, most likely, too dense to be cut. As Liz stated earlier, it's NOT just thickness that matters. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/