We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Looking for Explosion Box with Cake with Tea Light Template

CharoCharo Member Posts: 696
Does anyone have a file to share or know where to buy one that doesn't cost a fortune?  I am looking for a way to attach a three-layer cake so the battery in the tea light can be replaced.  Found one but I don't care to pay $9 for the pattern, when all I need is the cake itself.  Willing to pay, just not $9.
Member 30818

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,355
    Can you provide the link to the example
    So I can get and idea what your looking for
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Ok I think i know what that are now are did some googleing

Though a didn't file a file I found a assembly tutorial that gives quite a clear idea one method  construction

I think you could use templatemaker.nl as they appear to be very much like round boxes

Using the round box template maker
    discard the lid and add the glue tabs along the bottom

This may look a little odd if you haven't use this template before
    the rectangular shape surrounding the circles is actually a jig to aid assembly

the only puzzle is how to enable switching the candle on ?

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 696
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing what a good idea!  I love template maker and never thought of it.  Yep I've watched a ton of videos on how to put the cake together.  As you say the problem is turning the tea light on.  One of the videos showed the top two layers attached to the solid bottom layer with a paper onto which a magnet was attached.  So that's my idea right now.  My project gets even more complicated because I want to use a tea light which runs for six hours after it is turned on, then is off for 18 hours, so one doesn't have to keep taking the cake apart to turn it on and off.  But these candles do not have a flat top and they are significantly higher than the old flat-topped tea lights.  I don't know if I can do this but am giving it a try.  I want a stunning box for a lady's 90th birthday.  If one reached 90 with all their marbles it is something to really celebrate these days. Thanks so much Mr. Z.  I am grateful you are still in the forum.
    Member 30818
  • craftyladycraftylady Member Posts: 191
    https://www.jamieandjenn.com/birthday/jld-3-tier-birthday-cake-tealight?rq=birthday cake. This one is really cute and super easy to put together. The light sits right inside so it can be easily turned on and off. Good luck!

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,025
    I gave a friend a mini pumpkin with a tealight in it a couple of years ago. We left the tealight on to see how long it would last....it lasted long past Christmas. Just a FYI.
    edited October 26
    @ Charo   What are dimension of the body of your candle
    I see some the have a melted cable look top that might make think a little difficult
    first though was if the cover could be removes but i guess the flame is attached ?
    SO then thought made it possible to swap the melted look cover with a regular shape candle

I forgot to mention templatemaker has a maker for and explosion box too
    edited October 27
    Me Again LOL

I just thought of another method using the cylinder with mitres ends maker
    just set the angle to 0

I played a little not might need some tweaking

---- Just realised there a flaw in my design I didn't allow for the thickness of the material
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,405
    I hate doling round boxes.  I would use hexagonal or octagonal as they are easier to assemble.  Say three sizes stacked and decorated up with filligree openings so that the candle can shine through and ribbon or some other form of decoration stuck on.  You could make a tiered wedding cake style (squares) stacked.  Susan Robot does some nice round boxes and a tutorial on how to assemble.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Thanks so much to everyone for all the help.  I wish I had waited another day to incorporate all the great ideas but as usual I am in a tearing hurry to get it done in time.  That pattern link sent by @craftylady had a grand idea to just sit the candle on top.  That could easily be attached with a little magnet.  I must say @Di-lite I didn't have much fun with the round boxes either, even though templatemaker's pattern was perfect.  It just isn't easy to keep the boxes round at the join, especially when adding another decorative paper.  If I hadn't already glued the bottom round on I'd make a different shape.
    But the magnet idea worked, although the repositional glue dots aren't holding.  Maybe I don't need them.  Here's what it looks like now....will send a completed photo when finished.  @Crazy_Mr_Zing Surprisingly I was able to trim off cardstock around wavy candle top with scissors.  Will cover up raw edge with some sort of bling.
    P. S.  I loved PaperChaser's idea to fold the base corner pieces inside to reinforce sides.  No need for score lines that way and it eliminates the need to adding a decorative piece if one doesn't have double-sides paper, which I almost never have.
    Member 30818
    This looks Great
    It would have never occurs to me to use the glue tabs as a feature

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,405
    That looks great - I like the stairs hiding in the back there.  LOL
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    @Di-lite oh that stairs!  That is from the Townhouse Dollhouse from Kineticpaper I made.  Months after it was done I discovered I had put the hand rails on backwards.  I am getting really good at removing glued parts.  And @Crazy_Mr_Zing had to laugh that you said you didn't allow for the thickness of the paper.  I did exactly the same thing when making decorative strips to cover cake forms.  Everything looks so good on the computer until one applies it all to 3d paper.
    Member 30818