We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Convert MTC to SVG, SVG issues

I use MTC to convert my files to SVG for customers. Recently, I've had many complaints that my SVG don't work/open.  I'm confused because I can open the SVG files in Silhouette, SCAL V2, Inkscape and Cricut. Why can I have no issues but others in the same programs do ? Not everyone has issues with files that some say they are? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way to convert my MTC files into SVG?

Answers

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,355
    There is no other way to convert MTC files to SVG

Is there one particular program that your customers is having issues with ?

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • TheScrapoholicTheScrapoholic Member Posts: 30
    I didnt think there was another way to convert MTC to SVG. I've had MTC since it came out and love it. I've been converting to SVG since then with verylittle issues until this past month. It varies between Cricut and Silhouette. Usually can just open it in Inkspace and save it again as svg and that will work. But recently, i've tried that about 8 different times for 8 different files for 8 different customers and they still have issues. I don't know if its them or my files. I'm just at a loss
    edited October 20
    Inkscape 0.92 made many changes to the way svg were created form the chatter online this has cause quite a few compatibility issues , even with older versions of inkscape
    although 0.92 has been available for some time, version 0.92.3 was release March 2018  maybe further changes were made ?

My suggestion would be try version 0.91

it possible to have both versions of inkscape installed you just need to install one to a folder with a different name  eg install inkscape 0.91 to a folder named "Inkscape 0.91" 
    You would also need to alter and create shortcuts so you have shortcut to each version

I have 0.91 install if you want to you can pm me a problem file and I will open and save   svg in that version and send it back
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    I did notice that one of latest version of Inkscape had some issues. I went back to the older version because of the issues I was having with the newer version, which is the 9.1 that icurrently have. Usually, I just keep the SVG that was converted from MTC. When someone had issues I'd open it in Inkscape and save as SVG and that would solve whatever issue they were having. It just seems like an uptick in people having issues, this past month. I just was wondering if others were having issues too or its just me.  I know MTC pretty well, still don't use it to its compacity. I'm only somewhat familiar with other programs. I would think I if can open my SVG in the program, then it should open in the same program for someone else. I don't know? Maybe its just some weird glitch somewhere in the upload/download process. Thank you for trying to help, very much appreciate it.
    Do you sent the file as svg file or add them to and zip or rar file

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,025
    @TheScrapoholic - Since MTC has not been updated for a long time now (and mostly likely will not ever be), and products like Inkscape and Illustrator have, even the Silhouette program as well as the online software for ScanNCut and Cricut cutters, I would strongly suggest that you provide a simple PDF file with your SVG renderings, where you have sizing for the files, and then do a video or another PDF that you can make available to customers that shows how to resize in any of the products you have mentioned. Also, are you using the latest and greatest versions, as for your new customers that are just getting these machines, they won't be using older versions of the software.

Check out 3DSVG.com - for example here is a free file, (https://www.3dsvg.com/shop/cards-svg-files/penguin-gift-card-holder-free-svg/) extract it, and look at the menu pdf file. That information along with links to how to resize in the different programs used by your customers will go a very long way. It is regrettable that every software company has gone their own way with the interpretation of the SVG standard, which means we don't have a uniform standard at all...which was the purpose of the WWW Consortium when they began the SVG specification SIG back in 1999 - the goal: resizable, vector graphics supported by all browsers for web pages. We have certainly deviated from that goal with the SVG file type, LOL! We have seen some movement on the specification (which is currently 1.1) with the release of documentation titled W3C Candidate Recommendation 04 October 2018. Looks like there will be a new release, version soon. May or may not help with all of this in the future.

In Inkscape 0.92 I noticed a slight inaccuracy when exporting from MTC a group of objects, in MTC the overall size was 7.0000 x 5.1916 inches. In Inkscape that opened up as 7.000 x 4.961 inches. I reset the width value size and all appears well. So I did not experience too much of an issue. We found that when using the onboard software for the KNK Force cutter, that files run through either Inkscape or MTC would be normalized and worked in the C3 software. I would suggest this is because Inkscape most closely follows the SVG specification.

You might also indicate what versions of the different software used by customers that you tested your files with, so they know if they are using a more recent version than you, that the file has not been tested in that version, or your tip of opening and saving in Inkscape. I follow several of the Facebook groups where SVG files are common, and the little issues affect everyone, so know that you are not alone. How you deal with them that affects good outcomes for your customers is what is important!! Hope that helps!

Oh one last comment...the SVG file format is just plain text. So all properties and image metadata are spelled out in plain English and there for you to see for yourself. You can examine an SVG file by opening it in Notepad or other plain text editor. Do not open with Microsoft Word or other wordprocessing program!!! MTC does this - I just discovered by doing this, that the measurement reported in MTC is not what gets exported in the SVG file!!! You might need to know this. The discrepancy between what is reported as size on the MTC mat and what is dumped to the SVG export, could be explained by the "handles" on some of the nodes, that extend beyond the actual image. I recall vaguely this being an issue with users a while ago. I thought it had been addressed in a bug fix. A good test, draw a 6 x 6 circle in MTC, select it and export as SVG. You don't get 6 x 6 when you examine the metadata using Notepad. I am using 4.6.1 of MTC, there was a small bug fix in 4.6.2, but I don't recall what it was. I know it didn't affect me.

<!-- Created with Make The Cut! -->
    <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
    <svg mtc:dpi="90" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.1" width="7in" height="4.96125in" viewBox="0 0 630 446.512" xmlns:inkscape="http://www.inkscape.org/namespaces/inkscape" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns:mtc="http://www.make-the-cut.com/namespaces/make-the-cut">

So MTC is exporting at 90 dpi, and this metadata would be read by an SVG interpreter, so those software programs that actually read and follow that, they should render the product properly. You might want to examine your files using this information. You can message me if you have any questions.

Sorry for the long post!
    Crazy Mr Zing - Yes, I zip all my files. I include the MTC, Silhouette, SVG and a screen shot in PNG format in a zipped file. If its a free file I give them a link to download and the ones I sell are after purchase get a download link. I'veonly had issues with the ones I sell. 

Liz A - WOW! That's a lot of info. I have never had the PDF work for me when I export it from MTC. I haven't tried in along time. The only version that is not updated is my SCAL but that has stopped working properly after my HP did an update, so I stopped offering SCAL but those users don't have issues with importing my SVGs. Silhouette and Cricut, are the 2, I seem to have issues with, Cricut the most, which has always been finicky.  I believe I have the latest versions of both. Silhouette automatically updates for me. I know Cricut I had issues getting the latest version working, I had to have someone help me get that working. I have noticed the size difference. I usually try to enlarge my file before exporting so its larger, sometimes I forget. I've only once had someone using the Scan N Cut have a size issue, where the file was so tiny she couldn't enlarge it. That was a simple fix I just went in and made it much larger before exporting and then she was fine.

Its only the files I sell that seem to have issues. I've asked if anyone had issues with my free files, a few response of no problems. I don't like to assume but I've not heard of my free files having issues, nor anyone reaching out to say so. That could also be simply it was free and they didn't want to bother me because it was free. I've tried to be sure they know they can reach out to me if there's an issue.

I will check out that other site you gave me and check that out. I always work hard with my customers when they have issues to resolve them. I've only had one were no matter what I did she couldn't get 1 of 5 of the files to work and I issued her a partial refund. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having issues. It is sad that each software doesn't stay with the standard.

Thank you both very much
    @TheScrapoholic - I too have not had much success with the MTC export to PDF option, so I have primarily only used the SVG option. Many of the other artists are dropping the different file types in favour of just offering the SVG one because now, finally, all the software programs for the biggies - Silhouette, Brother SnC, Cricut, etc. - are supporting the SVG format. So you might want to consider that, and only do a custom file for those customers that ask for it.

Some issues may be because the SVG file is overly complex...I still see issues being where some users can't open some files, often the reason is the file is too complex. MTC's flatten paths or simplify paths may help with that. It could also be that the user's computer may not be adequately resourced, or other technical issue which comes into play, but may never be identified.

Glad to be of some help!! Best wishes and take care!!
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,418
    Other than MTC's PDF export function dropping the fill color or texture, I've never had an issue with it. I've used it many times, over the past 7 years, to get files into KNK Studio to node edit.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    @SandyMcC - I wasn't specific on why I didn't like the PDF export option in MTC, but fill colours is it, and of course it does not export any raster elements either.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,418
    Yeah, I guess if someone needed PDF format, then they could use Print to PDF instead. That seems to work correctly in terms of keeping color and raster fills.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/