We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Die cutter reccomendations?

bgrant21bgrant21 Member Posts: 1
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and new to crafting. I have fallen in love vinyl wall decals and could literally spend thousands of dollars on them lol. Since my boyfriend would kill me if I spent that much on wall stickers, I have been thinking about investing in a die cutter machine and doing them myself. My super crafty friend will be helping me, so no worries there. I am still researching at this point.

What machine do you recommend that I get?
Remember this is just a hobby, and I dont even know if I will like it or be any good at it, so I dont want to break the bank just yet! Most of the decals I like are quotes and stuff, so I wouldnt really be drawing an original design. And how big of decal could I print with each machine?

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,990
    @bgrant21 - just for clarification, printers print, cutters cut ("And how big of decal could I print with each machine?"). You are limited to your printers maximum paper size, and you would be limited to the width of media that a particular cutter can accept. They are all different. And everyone on here would likely recommend a different cutter, all based on personal experiences. Machine specifications would be listed on each of the manufacturer's website.

I would purchase a mid-range cutter - ~$300, that can cut paper at least 12" wide (that is most cutters today, except the KNK cutters which have a wider media width, but are above the $300 price range). So theoretically you can cut something approx 12" tall by as long as you want (vinyl can be bought on rolls). Some software can make tiles out of your cut so that you can piece the pieces together to make a bigger item.

Cricut, Silhouette will likely be popularly suggested choices, followed by perhaps Pazzles because they offer a purchase plan, and then maybe KNK cutters, which are likely the most expensive (but have the most features and they do not require using cloud software to cut!!!! That is one huge big advantage over the others, imho.) You can check out different cutters by googling the brand name and visiting their websites. Good luck with your purchasing decision.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,325
    It wise not to spend to much if you just putting you toe in the water

Research as much as you can.
    Software forms a large component of using a cutter check what software is available to suit each cutter
    Make the Cut software supports only some cutters and none of the newer models

Sure Cuts a Lots is also a 3rd party software that supports many cutters include some of the newer models

and Some Manufacturers include there own software with purchase though this can sometimes be a lite or limited function version

If you are consider purchasing a used cutter be aware that the online software for older Cricut models is now discontinued making them officially a cartridge only based cutter - this as seen quite a number being offered for sale
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,500
    @bgrant21, to save some money, you may want to look into purchasing a gently used machine, rather than brand new.  If that could be an option, you'll want to take a look at this Facebook group:  Used Craft Cutters for Sale

https://www.facebook.com/groups/387448384793419/

And of course, there is always other places you might find a good cutter at a discount, such as eBay or Craigslist.  Many of the cutter companies will have really good sale prices from time to time, just to get you into the fold, so to speak.  Then they can sell you software upgrades, machine upgrades, cutting files and materials.  Craft cutting is a fun thing to do so lots of folks do it.  The more the merrier. 

Keep asking questions, so you can make an informed decision.  As Liz mentioned, some of the cutter companies have switched to a cloud-based software system, which means you must have a working internet connection to get anything done with your cutter.  I don't know about you, but my Netflix connection keeps freezing right at the most interesting parts of the movies I am streaming.  That would be really frustrating if my cutter kept freezing because my internet was having a bad day, know what I mean? 
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,325
    edited October 10
    I only have good things to say about KNK I have 2 KNK cutter the i use very often and not had any issues
    I consider them to be well made machines backed by a company that goes to great efforts to ensure user have a great experience

I tend to not pay much notice of online reviews as they are usually stilted to the negative A person that has a issue would scream from the hill tops where those quite happy with the product might be not so motivated to say much

Maybe all us happy users need to start yelling from those hill tops too
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,395
    I think KNK are one of the best for customer service in the industry and it is time we all shouted that fact out.  Also Sandy who is independent helps each and everyone of us with both our software and our cutters.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.