We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

How do I update the firmware on Cricut Explore one to version 2.43 to work with my MTC version 4.1.0

sheilabellesheilabelle Member Posts: 7
I have recently purchased a used Cricut Expression one with the understanding that I would be able to update the firmware to version 2.43 to use with my previously owned version of MTC 4.1.0.  When I connect my machine to my computer it says that no Cricut is detected.  Is there a work around that I am missing? Thank you.

Answers

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,139
    You cannot if the firmware needs to be updated on the Cricut, you can not do that with MTC. You had to do that through Cricut software. The problem is, I am not sure the software needed from Cricut to do so is still available to do so. Perhaps @juliefes can give some further insight. I have not kept up with Cricut in a while but I seem to recall they got rid of their old online program that I think you may have needed.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,928
    First, you are mentioning 2 different machines. The explore in your thread title - you wouldn't be able to use it with any 3rd party software.
    As for the expression - they stopped supporting them some time ago. Last I knew you had to update firmware using their online design program Cricut craft room, they no longer provided updates through the cricut website. However, they permanently closed down CCR this past summer.

Your machine will tell you when you power it on what version of firmware it has.
    Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas
    Also, your old version of MTC - did you check to make sure you have the cricut plugin? You need to check the plugin folder. If you no longer have it, you're out of luck. You would've have needed to back up your copy in case you lost it.
    Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas
    One last thing... I just checked my cricut cake machine (which is basically an expression but FDA approved or whatever to use with food) and I never got around to updating to the last firmware. It's using 2.35 and I'm pretty sure I was able to use it with MTC.
    Good catch TAMinator on the mention of the Explore in the title (I missed that or misread it) and the Expression in the body of the message.  I only read the "Expression" and thought that was the machine the OP was referencing.

Thanks for noting what I "thought" about need the CCR online program to update the Expression firmware and that they did indeed close it down as I thought I recalled.

Go Vols!
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,325
    I never been a fan or PC anyway but I really find it rather appalling they have rendered these machine to all but the scrapheap
    Sure no company is able to support legacy machines forever but surely they could have discontinue support in a way that allowed the existing functionality even if it was to provide method that was AS IS with Zero support
    Dare I suggest they could have allowed for a 3rd party or the open source community to provide this for these older machines I would not be surprised if the latter does provide this even if its somewhat underground

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,990
    @sheilabelle @Crazy_Mr_Zing - Somebody did share a link to where you can update firmware for older cutters:

https://cricutdinos.com/update-your-machines-firmware/

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,990
    I haven't tried any of the links or instructions.
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing - you can still use those older machines with their original cartridges and or a Gypsy if you had purchased cartridges or had a Gypsy with some loaded.  The CCR Online program was never very good any way.  It was better to use your cartridges.
    Go Vols!
    @Liz_A ; wow, looks like someone saved it to dropbox. I wonder if it does the last unpdate. There's no date when that post was made. I actually have the old design studio on my old computer. In fact, I just went to cut a file from it the other day. Only it didn't cut the clouds and the entire scene was welded together. I don't know why. I didn't bother try redoing it. I didn't have to have the clouds.

I never tried using their online programs. I never wanted to link my cartridges to any of their products. I have a gypsy and they aren't linked to that either. I got my gypsy on clearance for $50 and they were doing 5 free cartridge downloads (particular titles, not just any you wanted) at the same time Michaels was clearancing the gypsys out. So I only use it for those cartridges. (7 total - 2 come installed with the machine.)

I still really like my cartridges. If I'm going to use the machine I go there first unless I know I'm doing something different - a special design or a different font. I just wish the cutting was better.