We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

installing new version while still have 4.1 on the same computer

It was suggested to install the new version on to the same computer that the old version (4.1.0) is on.  The reason for doing this is so that you can use the updates but still cut with Cricut with the old version.  I was able to download the new version (I changed the old ones name.  My issue is that I don't have an icon for the old version on my desktop anymore.  Does anyone know how I go about getting it there? Thanks. :)

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,377
    edited September 27
    Explore to the folder the old version is located
    Right click on MTC!.exe  (or MTC! if you have windows set to hide extensions)
    Select Send to > Desktop Create Shortcut
    On your desktop rename the shortcut to reflect it for the old version

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • sheilabellesheilabelle Member Posts: 10
    I was able to do this but the old version no long gave me the option to cut with my cricut.  It used to automatically cut to my cricut. I understand that the new version no longer works with cricut but this changed in my old version. Now it gives me option to cut to the other machines i.e. silouhette and others.

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,377
    edited September 27
    Are you sure the older version is the one that is opening ? check help > about MTC

explore to the location where the old version is installed and check the plugin folder contains the cricut plugin ?

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,062
    @sheilabelle - OK I am concerned about this: "(I changed the old ones name." You're not knowing how to find and create a shortcut makes me think that maybe you didn't do this right. What exactly did you do? Change the name of the folder where the old MTC is? Did you name it? Making a screenshot and showing it here would be helpful.

Before you do much more that may risk you losing the old version altogether, try setting your computer back to a restore time before you installed the new version of MTC. Then you will find the old version folder of MTC and you will make a copy of it and put it on a thumb drive. That will have the Cricut plugin in it. 

Now install the new version. Then you will copy the old version back onto your computer, make a new folder in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Make The Cut!\ called Old MTC and put everything in there. Open the Old MTC folder, open the Make The Cut! folder in Old MTC and right mouse click on MTC!.exe and choose Send to => Desktop (create shortcut). Post back if you need further help.