We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Silhouette SD help... newbie to the machine!

TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,928
Ok, so my new-to-me machine came today!  I've done a test...  And here's some things/issues....

1. you can't cancel while it's cutting?  I can with the cricut but I didn't see a cancel ability with the silhouette. (and I don't wish to upgrade from the last software 4.0.1 or whatever because of my cricut)  My paper didn't stick well on the mat and it was moving so I needed to stop it but didn't see how.

2. The silhouette mat I was given was well used and my paper didn't stick so I couldn't test how it was working out. (The original owner was having issues with the software (theirs) not cutting inside the cutting area.)  She sent me cricut mini mats to use with it which are 8.5 wide.  I wasn't sure where to place it but I put it so it was under the rollers on both sides and I think that might have been fine but it didn't really cut the top of the word (working in landscape so that means along the right/long side of the mat.) It's also cut off at the beginning of the word - it looks like it's starting about 1/4 inch above where it should and the outside margin (where you load in) is the same size as the silhouette mat so it's not that.

3. Force and speed?  I have no idea about these settings. Well, speed isn't an issue but I had no idea what force to set it on. I used 10 and that worked so maybe that is fine. It cut through and I don't see any marks in the mat so it doesn't look like it was too much.
Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,062
    @TAMinator - responses:

1. Likely not if the cut job has already been completely sent to the cutter (I have a Silhouette SD but I am at work). Then the computer no longer has it in memory so that you can cancel. Power off cutter to cancel.

2.  I use Cricut 8.5 mats, I believe I butt the right edge up against the right side of the cutting path. Make sure that you have LOAD MAT and not LOAD MEDIA as the setting.

3. If using MTC, click on the little wrench icon in the cut settings to see the suggested force to use with what papers.

Have fun!
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,928
    woohoo!!  I did not see that little wrench! Thanks!!

Yeah, I was wondering if I should move the mat over more. Can the left roller be moved or is it okay it barely fits inside the edge of the mat?

Now the only issue left is where it starts the cut at the top of the mat. I'm going to do another test cut to see where it cuts when the mat is all the way to the right.
    Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,062
    @TAMinator - I believe that you need to bring your cut on the MTC screen down an inch or so, some kind of a bug...trying to recall the details, but it's still foggy right now.
    Moving all the way over the right is too much. Plus it still isn't cutting the top of the word. :(  And the mat isn't being pulled in enough or something as it's cutting before the paper starts, which I have right up to the margin line.
    P.S.  I have no idea what the blade is set at, I just used it how she had it in there. But the suggested pressure for cardstock is way higher than what it's cutting at now. LOL
    The word I'm cutting is 'testing'.  The first t is not being cut - it's cutting off the paper. Then it doesn't cut the upper part of the second t or the dot on the i. So it's not cutting the 'ascender' or anything above that middle area.
    Ok, so I moved my word in towards the middle. It will cut the whole thing that way. So there's 2 issues...

1. the cutting is still off as compared to where it shows on the screen. I had the paper on the 3" vertical mark. My word started almost 1/4" in from the edge of that. However, it started the cut just before the 3" mark on the mat so the bottom rounded edge of the t was off the paper.

2. why won't it cut when it's near the edge of the cut area?  I forgot to note if the cutting was off in the other direction. I only noticed the t and dot for the i cut out this time. LOL  But didn't notice if it was in the same place as it shows on screen.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,163
    It is expecting a Silhouette SD mat size with the margins that are included on those mats.  So using other mats, of varying sizes and margins are going to effect where it cuts some what as I recall.  Even when using the SD mat, I seem to recall you had to be very exact in placing your mat and feeding it into the cutter or it could be off (even on their software). You also wanted it aligned over on the right edge and make sure the cutter says ”load MAT,” not “load media” as Liz noted. If it is set to “load media” it is assuming no mat is being used and it will start cutting sooner and thus not as far down then if you are using a mat. Also, make sure you are telling it which Silhouette you are using as it cuts different with the Cameo selected as I recall. I don’t have my SD out and haven’t used it with MTC in forever. I used it primarily to do “print and cuts” with it way back when.

as far as updating your MTC, you can run two versions of it on one computer if you set it up correctly. To figure that out, you would need to research and find the old threads that discuss that.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    I saw there's a possibility it could be the cutting strip? (thought I'm using a mat) And I saw that thing is $10!!  WTH?!?!?!
    There isn't an option which machine. It just says cut with silhouette.  And I definitely have it for loading a carrier.
    The person that gave it to me was having cutting issues with it, but she doesn't have MTC so I was hoping there was just an issue with their software.  It was shifting outside of the cutting area for her.
    I'll have to play with it more tomorrow. It's given me a headache. LOL

I think maybe the problem I was having with the cutting off from the right is yeah, I probably have it off. I was working off the visual mat just like I do when I use the cricut. That matches up pretty much perfectly. And in the cricut there's no room for placement error unlike the silhouette. I don't think the virtual mat in MTC is matching up with the mat. There's an 'off' area on the mat that should actually be on the opposite side - the side where my cut was not coming out.

The Silhouette mat she sent is not the original kind as came with the machine so I don't know if it matches up exactly the same. I think the one she sent is designed for the portrait. Are they actually the same size machine? Basically the SD but the design of a cameo? (i.e. an SD upgrade)  I'm trying to figure out if I can 'match up' the cricut mat by using the Silhouette mat. I found images of what the original mat looks like but that doesn't tell me if they are actually the same size overall and grid sizing. (the original mat has double lines in the middle)
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,377
    I have no experience with silhouette cutter but I wondering if it maybe easier for you to download silhouette studio free version and get some experience with you cutter before attempting to use a 3rd party software like MTC

one thing to keep in mind if you do this do not have both program open at the same time as that seem to cause issues
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    I don't have the brain power to play with a new software. LOL I was happy to accept the offer of the machine because of MTC. The person who owned the machine was having problems with it herself and she was using their software. Of course, I don't know what she was doing that was causing her problems of not having it cut where it was supposed to.

I don't think playing with their software is going to help me figure out how to use it with MTC. I can get it to cut, I just need it to cut where I want it to on the mat. LOL I think I have figured out part of my original problem was I had my cut going outside the cutting area. I just couldn't tell based on the visual mat provided in MTC.
    I think it's going to require me to do a bunch of testing and tweaking until I can find the 'sweet spot' of loading my mat and how it corresponds to what I see on the screen.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,407
    The difficulty with the old Robo types is that it is set up to cut upside down to the way other machines are set.  MTC cuts top to bottom so standing on your head helps.  LOL.  I use to cut to my Silhouette cameo with MTC with no difficulty once I understood where the starting point is.  The original mats are rather expensive but Cricut mats work just as well.  I would suggest placing an A4 setting for your mat and put a small square at a corner and see where it cuts.  Also it is a good idea to set your cutting area to 1" of the outer edge of the mat initially.  The mat has to be fed in sufficiently for the wheels to grip it.  If you get the new blade holder that has the numbers on it - it is a lot easier to set it.  I found that full force, full speed and a setting of about 4 on the blade cut quite well on the Cameo which is one up from the SD.  Hope this helps a little.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Yeah, I'm using a cricut mat. They happen to be the ones for the mini she found at Goodwill so I don't have to get a bigger one and cut it down. The mats for the mini are 8 1/2 inch. So a little bigger than the silhouette one but still fits in the machine as it appears the silhouette was designed with extra room.

>>I would suggest placing an A4 setting for your mat and put a small square at a corner and see where it cuts.<<

??   But don't re-explain. LOL  I"m better at visuals than written directions and I'm sure I'll get something figured out on my own.

>>The mat has to be fed in sufficiently for the wheels to grip it.<<
    I don't have a problem with it grabbing the mat. The problem is it starts cutting before the cutting area. I'm sure I can find a work around. If it insists on doing that I might just trim some of the leading edge off so it ends up being pulled in as far as it's supposed to be to start inside the cutting area.

I think i'll end up just having to play and test cut until I find where the machine will match up with the screen.

The blade in the machine has numbers on it and there were no color caps so I think it's the ratchet blade. She sent another one, too, still in the package. I have to read about the ring with it. It says to read the manual about the ring but there's nothing in the manual (she even had printed off a cameo manual) so I'm googling that now. The ring is used when you use a carrier sheet (mat.)

I also wonder if the machine went wonky with it's loading button. I know it's on the right setting (load w/carrier) on both the machine and in MTC but I wonder if it's only loading as far as it does when you use load media.
    I've seen a photo where someone didn't use the right setting and the cut might be about the same where mine looks like it's starting. I'm not quite sure, mine might not be quite as high up, but that's a theory. LOL