We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

uploading an svg/pdf file

Hi,

I'm trying to upload a file but instead of the expected item I only get a grid of blue outlined boxes with a few filled in boxes in grey. What's going on? I tried a different one earlier and it worked fine.

Thanks

Gina

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,964
    @Gina13 - what software are you using, how did you make the file, and when you say "trying to upload a file" what do you mean...upload to a webpage somewhere, upload to the MTC Gallery or open the file in Make The Cut!.
  • Gina13Gina13 Member Posts: 2
    I was trying to open an svg file in Make the Cut. I bought it on Etsy and wanted to use it in MTC to cut out some flowers. I bought some others on Etsy as well, and they work fine. My suspicion is the file is too big - over 4 MB compared to the 30 or so KB of the ones that work. Could that be the problem?
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,312
    edited August 31
    I assume your using the svg or pdf import function in MTC ?

It difficult to say what it issue is
    Was the file sold as a file for cutting on a machine
    If it was intended for print and cutting by hand
    I would suggest the file was created in a Vector Program like Corel or Adobe Illustrator and contains allsorts of masking layers and groupings which can cause issues when you attempt to import it to MTC

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • BrendaSBrendaS Member Posts: 759
    since you also mentioned pdf in your title, the file may not be a true pdf file, it may be a file that was saved in pdf format.  I tried to do a file that had graphics saved in pdf format and it would not import the graphics or image.  I had to import the file in pixel trace to get the image to display and then fine tuned with the tools available and did blackout so that I could do print and cut on the images.

Don't know if that would help you or not.  Just wanted to expand on the pdf based upon an experience that 
    I had.  Good luck.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,312
    Good point Brenda
    Pdf's come in Vector format and Raster and sometime include both
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,964
    PDFs can also just be a picture image with no raster or vector information at all. Totally depends on how the pdf was generated.