We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cutting Oracal 651 on a Cameo - cutting/weeding issues

DeanRDeanR Member Posts: 1
I am fairly new to the hobby, but I have run into an issue.

Last year, I made a bunch (400 3"x4") of window decals with some fine detail on Oracal 651 vinyl and had NO issues on the weeding. This year, I was making another batch, and had so many problem during the weeding process, which caused a bunch of wasted decals.

I was using the following settings:
Speed 7
Thickness 5
Blade 2

I ordered new vinyl for this years batch and replace the blade in the middle of last years run. On this years first run, there were so many points where the smaller letters would not separate from the weeding that I had to throw out the batch. I then set the blade depth to 3 and had better luck (with a lot of manual separation on the cuts), but nothing like the ease I experienced the year before.

Should I make a change to the Speed/Thickness/blade?
Do different batches of vinyl need different setting?
Could this vinyl be older/newer than the last batch and act differently?
Do blades (ratcheting extended life) wear out that quickly?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,956
    edited July 5
    @DeanR - welcome to the Make The Cut! software forum, where we assist users of the software Make The Cut! and it's supported cutters. What software are you using?  Silhouette or Make The Cut!?

I would replace the blade now.

Do test cuts by adjusting speed and your thickness settings until you get a good clean cut. And yes different colours of vinyl often need different settings, even in the same family of vinyl types. Old vinyl can be problematic, but not necessarily for cutting.