We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Why oh Why

showitoffshowitoff Member Posts: 2
Ya'll I love MTC but if they don't update it soon to work with the cameo 3 I'm going to have to cave and use Studio full time.  Why oh why will they not?

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,265
    I have my doubts there will be any updates but who can tell ?

If your finding studio to restrictive your could try sure cuts a lot
    if your need is not urgent keep an eye out some affiliates offer 30-40$ off promotions for SCAL
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • corwinscorwins Member Posts: 1,841
    I so wish they would also.   I absolutely love MTC and that is all I use most of the time but like you say I'm so afraid that the day will come when we can no longer use it. It already crashes  a lot. Please if the powers that be read this... please update! 
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,361
    I hate to say it, but the originally compiler of MTC has lost interest in his program.  He's obviously moved on to other things.  What you have is a great program for drawing and to use it with newer stuff you will have to export and import into another program.  That's what I do so that I can cut with The Force using C3.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,126
    showitoff said:
    Ya'll I love MTC but if they don't update it soon to work with the cameo 3 I'm going to have to cave and use Studio full time.  Why oh why will they not?
    I too love MTC but the reality is that MTC has not been updated in about 5 years now.  Andy has never addressed or stated anything in regards to why he stopped making updates.  There has been discussion by others that he took a "real" job to support his young and growing family. I can't begrudge him doing what he needed to do for his family. So, as people find the need or desire to move on to other cutters, we will find the need to learn other programs that will work with them. There are ways with many to still use MTC and then export out to other file formats and that is what many are still doing given that MTC still offers a lot of tools. 
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,904
    @showitoff - sadly yes, it looks like at this time, no more updates for MTC. It has fallen so far behind, it would be challenging to get it to where it would need to be to accommodate the many new cutters. And the cutter manufacturers don't seem to be slacking in pumping out new cutters every year either.

You might want to consider Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL). It is kept up todate with the new cutters that are emerging, and they continue to add to the program with improvements...they just released version 5. You can find it here: http://craftedge.com/products/products_scal.html

I still love MTC for day to day designing.
  • BarbaraBarbara Member Posts: 484
    SCAL5 is being released.

• mausbonmausbon Member Posts: 45
    I also have SCAL and think it is the better option over Studio. The learning curve is minimal since you are used to MTC.
    New Zing Orbit user. Using MTC since 2008. Learning SCAL Previous Cricut and Silhouette owner.
  • showitoffshowitoff Member Posts: 2
    The one thing I really like is the tumbler option in MTC. Studio has a similar option but it's not optimal.  I'm gonna give SCAL a try. I used it several years ago but then discovered MTC.
    Thanks everyone!
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,905
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can keep mine working and my machines working, too. I've never gotten another machine outside of the cricuts. I'm happy with what I have (well, the cutting could be better ;) ) and I don't use it enough to justify buying something else. And I like that I can pop in a cartridge as my first go-to instead of booting up a computer and designing something. I even made myself a an index of images and words for the ones I have that I can skim through first. But I love having another option to go to when that isn't going to work for what I want to do. (And I scrapbook and make cards, I don't do all the vinyl and stuff that other people do with the e-cutter programs.)
    imageKaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas
    Ftdi is basically a driver for the usb connection

you can down load the latest version here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

as for moving the fonts the best way would be actually reinstalling them
    as mtc doesn't retain an actual copy of the font but rather a link to where the font file is located on the computer

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SassyLady_LisaSassyLady_Lisa Member Posts: 1,119
    I bought the Designer Edition upgrade to SS (to import SVGs) and began learning to use it a little bit at a time, while still using MTC to design and export as SVG. Over time I learned to use SS well enough that I upgraded to Business Edition for the expanded features. I decided against SCAL as you have to buy each update and the upgrade fee is exorbitant. I had a Portrait when I began using SS and eventually purchased a Cameo 3, which I love.
    Live Love Craft
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,351
    $230 to upgrade Signlab is exhorbitant.  $25 to upgrade from SCAL4 to SCAL5 isn't exhorbitant in my opinion. Also, all of the intermediate updates in SCAL4 were all free. It's only when there's a BIG update every 3 or 4 years that there is a cost. Perhaps we would still have MTC updates if Andy had followed the same course of action. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    I guess what software your comfortable with and does what you need is what best suits you .
    One disadvantage of manufacturers own software is that your rather tethers you to their cutters for life
    so in the event you want to upgrade you either stick with them or have to once again learn new software .
    Software forms a huge part of the which cutter to buy choose? one that a least allows 3rd party software would be wise as you have other options should the manufacture discontinue support for their software
    eg as PC has recent done with Craft room