We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Changing cutting order

PippinPippin Member Posts: 39
Struggling to find this in the manual - how do I change the cutting order for a shape? I'm cutting out a simple pillow box - but the machine is jumping from one line to another rather than just cutting around the shape in one go (if that makes sense?!) My OH seems to remember changing this when we used our Zing before but we can't remember how :-/

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,119
    You cannot change the "cutting order".  MTC is designed to cut the inside cuts first and then the outside cuts.  This is so that you would encounter less shifting or moving if you cut the outside larger shapes first.  Besides that, I am not sure how it decides exactly what to cut first.  I think it has something to do with how they are first put on the mat/laid out.

One way you can "control" a little bit is if you put shapes/objects on different layers and turn layers off and on to cut or not cut.  If the layer you are cutting still has "inside" cuts and outside cuts, its still going to do the inside cuts first. 
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • PippinPippin Member Posts: 39
    Hmmm ok, thanks @MeFlick :-) 
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,338
    Forgetting the fold lines, are you saying the outside cut shape of the box isn't continuous? In other words, it's not a closed shape?  

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,229
    edited May 27
    I just looked at the pillow box template multi breaks in the perimeter line and folds

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @SandyMcC it seemed to be cutting one part of one side and then going over to the other side and doing a different part rather than just going all round the outside. I will probably have another go later.

If you draw the shapes yourself within MTC does it make a difference how you do this to what order things are cut in?
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,338
    To fix your outside path, first hide any layers that are the fold lines. Then, click on one part of the outside path and see if all parts of it are selected. That means it's joined. If only one part gets selected the drag your mouse to select all of it and apply Join.  Then click on the wrench icon at the bottom and select Fuse n Weld. Click on Optimal. That should close it up and make it one continuous path.  If you can't get it to work, then send me the file ([email protected]) and I can make a video showing how to do it.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Great, thanks @SandyMcC - I'll give that a try :smile:
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,475
    @Pippin, you have found the hidden secret - MTC uses machine logic rather than people logic.  We look at it and say, well it should cut all the way around the box, that's obvious.  But MTC looks at it and says, what is the best path to get this done quickly and accurately?  Then it cuts in a way that makes us batty.  As has been noted, we can manually make MTC cut what we want by splitting the shapes into layers.  Then turn off all layers, except the box outline and it will cut only the outline.  Not saying it will cut a continuous line all around the outline shape, it may well cut down one side, then down a different side, without connecting the two cuts.  Then across both sides to finish the shape.  Then you would close the eye on that layer and move to the next where you may also still get "batty cutting paths".  What I'm trying to say is that after fighting with MTC machine logic, I came to the conclusion that it was just easier and faster to let MTC cut my projects in any sequence it wants.  It's weird to watch the Zing zip around my designs cutting a side on a box and then zip down to another box somewhere else in the design and cut out a line or two there.  In the end, it cuts them all and much faster than if I were messing with turning on and off a bunch of layers.  Just my 2 cents.  :)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,873
    Yes it can drive you batty watching a cutter dance all up and down a mat cutting in a logic that only makes sence to MTC. To preview a cut order, select all, CTRL+SHIFT+X and view the cut order by clicking first node, then press and hod the down arrow key. 
    @gabe LOL.....except it is people logic really,  because a person programmed it ;-) (I worked as a coder for 10 years)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,873
    edited May 29
    My understanding is the logic is inside bits first, starting from right go left, in order of putting on the mat. So if I want to make 10 Congralations! text bits to cut out, I start with the first one, then make my copies in one of several ways:

- copy and CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste in place, move to new position
    - select, CTRL+SHIFT select then drag into place
    - Duplicate

So for example duplicate it will cut the far right shape in first row first, then go to far right in next row, then far right in next row, etc. coming back up to the first row for second shape on the second row, and carry on in that pattern.

I do suggest you test for yourself using my suggestion above.

Andy has been programming since he was like 7 years old, and I can confirm if you ask 5 people how to file something, there will be 5 different answers. There is no right or wrong answer, as long as it works for the person or persons having to retrieve the items filed =) - system efficiency is a totally different thing. As someone who hired programmers to write complex database systems, I often disagreed with how those programmers applied their logic. I would boil it down to they have never done the job the user does, so they don't really have a clue as to how it should be approached, LOL!!!
    @Liz_A thanks - I will have a play