We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Advice re. card weight

PippinPippin Member Posts: 46
Hi! I've got a KNK Zing - it has been sitting unloved for a couple of years but I really want to get back to using it and have a couple of things I want to try and use it for. One of these is for creating some packaging for my hand dyed yarns. I don't have a stash of card (the Zing was originally bought to use for cutting fabric/felt) so I would welcome some advice on what weight might be suitable for making product boxes and any suggestions re suppliers would be fab (I'm in the UK). The boxes don't have to be super strong - this is more about presentation than protection (it's yarn - it doesn't really need protection LOL!) 

I must clear a space for the Zing and get re-acquainted with it!

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,991
    @Pippin - @Di-lite will likely have the best answers for you, she should be on sometime in the next 10 hours or so!
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,395
    Chuckling @Liz-A - would have been sooner but Heidi not been well.  For doing boxes I would chose either 160 gsm for very lightweight or go for a more fancy card say 216 gsm or for much much firmer 300 gsm.  Papermania do some great card in lovely colours.  Also you can get pads of card from Amazon of textured card.  Lot's of boxes up in my Bazaar for you to start with as well.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,390
    And don't forget to start with small test cuts to make sure you have your settings optimized. Please reread the first section of Chapter 2 which covers the important aspects of cutting and please post for help if you cannot get a small test shape to cleanly cut.  My preferred test shape is a 0.3" - 0.5" Donut shape from the Basic Shapes in MTC because it has the internal circle shape that will indicate if you're cutting too deeply and need to retract the blade.

Feel free to post any questions here! I check this site twice a day PLUS there are some very experience Zing owners who can help you, for sure!

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • PippinPippin Member Posts: 46
    @Di-lite that's great - thanks :-) I'm hoping to get my Zing setup this weekend and have a play.

@SandyMcC Thank you! I will definitely be re-reading the manual ;-) I remember doing the test cutting before. I made some 'Merry Christmas' bunting not long after getting the Zing and was super impressed by how well it cut everything out :-) I cut out some quite complicated snowflakes as well as the letters (onto fabric which had heat'n'bond applied)

Looking forward to having a play with it again. I'm just clearing a space in my spare room ;-)

So - all setup and have just managed to cut out a snowflake on a light cardstock :-) Now - I need to get a pick tool - any recommendations? I can't remember if I got one with my Zing - I'm usually good at keeping everything together and it isn't in the box of Zing stuff :-/
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,325
    I have lost the many pick tool I gave up and hot glued a pin into a old pen barrel
    oddly I have never lost that one

other useful tool are artists palette knifes just the cheap one are find sometimes you may find these a dollar stores

Also a brayer is handy  I just got a robust but budget model

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing Thank you! I've already got a brayer (pinched from my printmaking stuff LOL!) - good idea with the pin though!
    Ooooh guess what I found - a pick tool! Forgot I had one with my Sizzix LOL!
  • AliAli Member Posts: 3
    Pippin said:
    So - all setup and have just managed to cut out a snowflake on a light cardstock :-) Now - I need to get a pick tool - any recommendations? I can't remember if I got one with my Zing - I'm usually good at keeping everything together and it isn't in the box of Zing stuff :-/
    You can use an X-acto knife or a straight pin (especially for tiny pieces). I like a regular weeding hook for bigger pieces. Any brand will work.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,501
    Dental tools work too.  Sometimes you can ask your dentist if he/she has a couple of old tools that he/she could give you, since they can't be used in the dental office any longer.  If they can't help you out, you can still buy them pretty inexpensively online or possibly at someplace like Harbor Freight.
  • samalesamale Member Posts: 21
    for regular greeting card i use ~40lb for card needings more support  ~80-100lb