We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Upgrading to KNK Zing Orbit and full compatibility?

klkitchensklkitchens Member Posts: 30
So in the three years since I've had my Cameo 2, I've learned to love paper cutting.  I do a lot of cutting for boardgame hobby support and have designed quite a few items in MTC and it's been awesome.

Now it's time to upgrade and I've had my eye on the KNK Zing line since even before the Cameo 3 came out.  I've heard and read it's just a much better tool.  So I'm looking the the 15" Orbit.

So for those that have been using the Orbit with MTC, a few questions.

(First, unrelated, how good are the front and back tables?  My Cameo now just lets the mat droop, I assume this will help take some strain off the material?)

In regard to using MTC, is the Orbit fully supported with all its features?  They push another software product over there and I downloaded the demo, but have not had time to climb the learning curve with it.  Most of my designed are in MTC and while I could export as SVG I don't really want to change software if I don't need to.  The basic version is cheap enough, but some of what should be standard features are in their "pro" version.

Of concern is that MTC has not been updated since "March 11th, 2015".  I can imagine there would be a few features of newer cutters that might or might not be supported with this length of time?  Or have perhaps the drivers been updated, but the core program has not needed to be?

One feature I never have mastered (IIRC) is print and cut with MTC.  I've always had to switch to the Silhouette Studio (been awhile) and the results were not that great with the registration blocks seeming too imprecise.  Do MTC and ZO team up nicely for print and cut applications?  There is a lot more I could do/want to do if that feature were a reliable option!

Anything else an upgrading cutter needs to know about switching?

I currently use Cricut mats for cutting as the low tack blue mat is perfect for my needs.  Oddly with the Cameo, I line the paper up on the borders of the mat, not the "0,0" origin and it works perfectly, especially when I'm cutting very close to the edge.  Will these still work with the ZO?  I know I might need to adjust my alignment a little.

I read about a steep learning curve with the ZO... Had no issues with the Cameo I couldn't figure out... is this tool really more advanced?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,873
    @klkitchens - Unfortunately, MTC has not been updated in several years, so it doesn't fully support newer models of cutters, and the Zing Orbit is one of those that is not fully supported. The feature not supported is Print & Cut. KNK does not even stock MTC any more, instead they sell Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL4), and the beauty of that is that it is kept up to date, and it fully supports all the KNK cutters. There is more future in that product than there is in MTC.

You could still design in MTC, as I and others do, and then export to SVG for cutting in SCAL4. The Zing Orbit will work with other mats. I would suggest that if you have learning curve issues with the ZO, that you follow the instructions in the excellent User Manual Sandy has prepared, and use the provided mat to ensure that it's not a mat issue, and ask lots of questions. There are a couple of very active FB KNK groups where you can get faster responses to questions there.

I don't think for someone that has already used other cutters that the ZO will pose much of a learning curve. Where others have had issues, it has a lot to do with how well they have followed the instructions provided in the UM, or they haven't reached out for help before they got frustrated.

HTH
  • klkitchensklkitchens Member Posts: 30
    Thanks @Liz_A ... Sounds like I should go ahead an pony up for the pro SCAL4 as well then.
  • MickyZsMickyZs Member Posts: 190
    I have a question along these lines. I think my Zing (original one) may be dead. If I have to purchase a new machine (Orbit) do all my Zing blade holders, blades, and mats work in the Orbit? Thank you for any information you can provide.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,338
    MickyZs said:
    I have a question along these lines. I think my Zing (original one) may be dead. If I have to purchase a new machine (Orbit) do all my Zing blade holders, blades, and mats work in the Orbit? Thank you for any information you can provide.
    Yes. The blades are identical and you can use most any cutting mat in the Zing Orbit, so you prior ones will work.  The new ZO blade holder and accessories no longer have a rim so that you can mount them to whatever height you need. That being said, I've tested the prior Zing blade holders and accessories and they can all be mounted. You might need to adjust pressure settings, but I'm sure you're already accustomed to doing that.  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • MickyZsMickyZs Member Posts: 190
    @SandyMcC. Thank you for the info...waiting to hear if it can be repaired...or if it is even worth it. Hate to see it die, it has been a real workhorse!!! Thanks again.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,338
    You're welcome!
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/