We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Hello and help please, from an Apple only household newbie

Hello there, I read through posts, searched endlessly & tried 3 image converter apps. I understand that PCS is p.c. only & MTC needs an emulator to work on a Mac, yes? I’m new to crafting. I have a Cricut Air 2. I’ve wanted to make the cat on stairs card, and searching led me here. A card like ones posted by Andy in the Cats thread, kitties on stairs or with fishbowls. I even tried to buy a similar one I saw online but it’s n/a. I tried to recreate by modifying cards I bought on silhouette store but it made all the dashed lines and individual cut lines. After hours & hours it still has  hundreds of dashes to to isolate & change before I can’t move the lines around to try & recreate it. Is there any way to convert an MTC or PCS to a svg on my iPad? I’ve had my Cricut for over a year & I’ve only managed to finish 2 cards. The original post was closed so I couldn’t ask there. Apologies for the long post. I’m exasperated by not being able to figure it out. :-( 

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    @heather17015 - you definitely cannot use PCS on a Mac. You would need to set up a dual boot - Mac or Windows, then install in the Windows partition, to use that program. MTC has a Mac version with emulator (Wine) embedded...there are some steps to bridge MTC and/or allow the installation of non-Apple approved programs to make it work properly.

The PCS program does export a finished file to SVG which can be cut in any program that supports importing SVG file types. If you are using an online software of the Cricut ilk, then there are some hoops to be jumped through in order to attach the dashed lines (for folds) to the file before cutting, and maybe some other steps I don't recall as thankfully I don't have to use any of the online cutting software solutions! I think there are some recent posts by juliefes that outlines what steps have to be taken for Cricut cutters. Sandy has offered some input in getting KNK cutters working with MTC on a Mac, other cutters are not supported on the Mac. Hope that helps.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    Just out of curiousity what do you mean by this:

searched endlessly & tried 3 image converter apps
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,126
    . . . Is there any way to convert an MTC or PCS to a svg on my iPad? . . . 
    emphasis added 
    Hello Heather and welcome to the forums.  Liz had provided most of the answers to your questions.  The one she didn't, and is important to answer is the one I have quoted above.  You asked if there was a way to convert a MTC or PCS (File) to an SVG (file) ON your iPad.  There is no way to do that as neither MTC nor PCS can be run on the iPad its self. In order to save either a MTC or a PCS file TO an SVG file you must do that from MTC or PCS themselves.  You would EXPORT the file out to an SVG file from within MTC or PCS.

Are you limited to an iPad or do you also have a Mac computer?  That wasn't clear from your post and since you asked about converting the file on an iPad.  i wanted to make sure we understand your setup.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,361
    The only thing I can think of is that you post your file via a private conversation and get them to translate it into an svg.  Ask them to put the cut and the score onto separate layers to make life easier.  I only have a p.c. computer but I know others have both and I am sure someone will have a sensible solution for you shortly.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • heather17015heather17015 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, thank you for your replies. I saw this card on pinterest.
    I wanted to make it for my friend Carrie’s birthday. She fosters cats & she’d absolutely love it.

By searched endlessly I meant that I’ve tried searching google images, bing, and pinterest for an svg or an image file of the pattern/template that I can import or open to cut on my cricut. I came across the cats on stairs & catwall cutting files here.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5012508/uploads/FileUpload/df/0f71f887fa67a422fba91f51a28d24.png

https://us.v-cdn.net/5012508/uploads/FileUpload/98/fd4f3121bdc3a7777844e4bb8cd1c5.jpg

They’re even better than the original card I liked & what I’ve been trying to make but all the forms I’ve found here are either mtc & pcs format. So I bought Image Convert b/c it said it could convert pcs file but it didn’t work. I tried two other free converters that listed pcs as a compatible convertible file they could do but got errors. I even tried an online upload & convert service. None of them worked.

So I searched & searched until I finally found what appears to be the original inspiration I saw on Pinterest but it’s from a kirigami book from France. https://carterie.kirigami.fr/CollectionLovePaper/Carterie-kirigami/Nature-et-Animaux/Produit/Escalier-aux-Chats

They sell the card itself online, but it’s a physical card, not the pattern. So I went thru all theirs books until I found the volume that contains the pattern. I have it in my cart but I’ll have to wait for it to arrive from France. They site had downloadable files to purchase but not of that exact card. I’ve tried (off/on) to recreate the pattern but I can’t get it close no matter how I weld & edit. I get bummed & end up putting my craft stuff away. I do have a laptop but it’s a MBP from 2010. It’s still works but the hard drive is close to full & I don’t have enough space to install an emulator & another cutting program. I use my iPhone & two iPads for nearly everything. If someone could post a form of the card pattern or template in svg (or even png) I’d be forever grateful. Again, apologies for being such a windbag. lol

Thanks,

Heather