We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Latest MTC update

Cat_BCat_B Member Posts: 1
Will MTC still work with my cricut if I update to the newest version? and will it be a stand alone update or will it over ride the version I have now?  Which is 4.20  I have been scared to update incase I can no longer use it with my expression. thank you I tried to find the answer in FAQs.

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,150
    The last update of MTC was 4.6.1 / 4.6.2. That has been about 5 years ago now (March, 2013 timeframe). That update, or anything after MTC 4.1.1 WILL NOT work with a Cricut. If you attempt to update to that version, it will overwrite your old version.

I pulled the statement that anything after MTC 4.1.1 will not work with a Cricut from Andy's statement in this thread here:http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/28767/make-the-cut-version-4-2-0/p1 (It is at the bottom of the first post stating the changes that were made in that version.)

"Please note that all versions of Make The Cut! after version 4.1.1 (including this one) will not load the Cricut plug-in (PCCPlugin.DLL)."

Based on that statement from Andy, I am not sure you have 4.2.0 if you are working with a Cricut.  You can verify what version you have under the help menu - about MTC.

MTC version 4.1.0 was introduced in Dec. 2011, MTC Version 4.2.0 was introduced in Nov. 2012.  Which means updated versions of MTC from Nov. 2012, or more than 5+ years ago, have not and will not work with a Cricut. Even the old versions that worked with a Cricut will not work with any of the newer Cricuts that have been introduced in the past several years. 

As already stated, If you do an update, it will override the version that you presently have and you would no longer be able to cut to your Cricut Expression.

There have been workarounds outlined and discussions over the years of running two versions on one computer, running one version on one computer and one on another, etc.  A search of the forum using a combination of key words like update, cricut, etc. should help you find some of  those old threads.  You will have to look through them to see what if any are applicable to try to help.

Before doing anything - you need to make sure you have everything backed up and saved in a safe place "just in case." (You need to have done that already even if you aren't attempting to do something else just in case you had a computer failure, etc. if you still wanted to be able to use the old MTC with your old expression.)

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,356
    edited May 7
    You Make find this facebook group helpful  https://www.facebook.com/groups/CutterSoftware/

If you not already aware
    Apparently Provocraft are making a some changes which may effect owner of the Legacy Cricut machines that use Craft Room
    http://inspiration.cricut.com/cricut-craft-room-closing/

Also a video  as Meflick says make sure you backup before you do anything

Installing Multiple Copies of Make the Cut Software

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files